Bike Week - Who Cycles to work?

Started by WeeDonns, June 16, 2011, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

Bike Week takes place from 18th – 26th June
www.belfastcity.gov.uk/bikeweek
http://www.bikeweek.ie/

Just as a matter of interest, do many of you cycle to work? Or cycle regularly? And where?
According to this article in the Irish Times of 2% only adults here cycle regularly.
There's free breakfast at Belfast City hall next Friday for any cyclists!

Tony Baloney

Our work has started a cycle2work scheme through Halfords just this month, although not many actually cycle to work. I have my bike on order so the weight should slide off....  :P

I ruled out racing bikes and toyed with either a mountain bike or one of those hybrid jobs. Ended up going for a mountain bike.

andoireabu

15miles to work then a 10 hour shift and then 15 miles home again. Not a chance.  Would do a bit though in the free time
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Would regularly cycle to work in, or around, Dublin.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

I cycle to work from June to November . It's a great bit of exercise as  well as a wonderful way to see more on the way to work. 

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 16, 2011, 12:58:12 PM
Our work has started a cycle2work scheme through Halfords just this month, although not many actually cycle to work. I have my bike on order so the weight should slide off....  :P

I ruled out racing bikes and toyed with either a mountain bike or one of those hybrid jobs. Ended up going for a mountain bike.

Make sure you dont get mountain bike tyres, thay are a pain in the hole and really slow  unless you are cycling over rough ground.

I cycle in Dublin from about Feb to Nov, love it, home in 18 minutes, can be sitting outside local, drinking billy Bulmers in about 14 minutes flat
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

WeeDonns

I got my bike through the cycle to work scheme as well.
Been cycling a few days a week for about a month now and really enjoying it.

A good few in the office have taken it up, and some of them are doing the 15mile e/w cycle. I'm only doing about 6mile each way, but I stretch it out on the way home and do about 10. I still haven't tackled any 30mile cycles yet.

Do many of you cycle in the city? Would you mainly use the tow patch/cycle lanes or just cycle on the roads?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 16, 2011, 01:36:20 PM

Make sure you dont get mountain bike tyres, thay are a pain in the hole and really slow  unless you are cycling over rough ground.

I cycle in Dublin from about Feb to Nov, love it, home in 18 minutes, can be sitting outside local, drinking billy Bulmers in about 14 minutes flat
Aye the various websites I've looked at have recommended keeping a spare set of wheels depending on circumstances. I'm calling into the shop tonight so will get them to throw on a slicker set.

laoislad

Cyclists should be banned from the road.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

WeeDonns

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2011, 01:58:26 PM
Cyclists should be banned from the road.
laoislad should be banned from this board

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 16, 2011, 03:56:55 PM
I ruled out racing bikes...

Why TB?
Cos I know I am too lazy to ever tackle "racing bike" sort of distances. I live in the sticks and I'm more likely to rattle about tracks and lanes around home.

Croí na hÉireann

Cycling is the only way to travel in this city although the rush hour traffic is nowhere near as congested as it was.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Tony Baloney