GAA Double Standards

Started by falay, September 21, 2015, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: westbound on September 22, 2015, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: falay on September 22, 2015, 09:08:17 AM

Westbound - you are correct in saying that the masters' was thrown aside do to insurance and health and safety. This is another point. The GAA could see no opportunity to make money from the masters' so therefore cast it aside. There were some claims against the GAA insurance but they were minimal compared to claims coming through the clubs. I have played Masters for 5 years now and have never seen any serious injury or bust up in that time. I played senior football for a considerable length and risks to health and safety were much higher in those games.

I'm no expert on insurance (or health & safety for that matter!), but I think it seems logical to me that if you have 30 lads over 40 playing a game and 30 other lads aged 20-35ish playing a game, the lads over 40 are going to have more injuries.

And from an insurers point of view the lads over 40 would be much more likely to suffer hear attacks etc. (i..e the more expensive payouts).

I'm not against an over 40's competition (in fact I'd like to play in one!) but health and safety (and fellas not being out of pocket for medical bills) is most important.

I think it is all relative really.  The pace that an over 40s game is played at is significantly less than a game of 25 year olds.  It is completely illogical that the GAA won't back it and so long as the players pay their own insurance then there is no come back to the GAA. 

Rossfan

Quote from: NAG1 on September 22, 2015, 10:15:46 AM
Falay

Whatever argument you had about the lack of recognition for the 'Masters' game is totally undermined by your attempt to link it to the Irish Guards. It is like comparing apple and oranges.

Why did you not explain the reasons behind why the GAA won't recognise the 'Masters'?

Then take each of their points for not recognising and counter argue them.

By bringing the Irish Guards into you have simply muddied the waters of your own argument.
+1.
What clubs the London County Board take under their wing is totally irrelevant to the Over 40s argument.
Try and leave yer politics at the door. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

Quote from: Rossfan on September 22, 2015, 10:58:24 AM
Falay

Whatever argument you had about the lack of recognition for the 'Masters' game is totally undermined by your attempt to link it to the Irish Guards. It is like comparing apple and oranges.

Why did you not explain the reasons behind why the GAA won't recognise the 'Masters'?

By bringing the Irish Guards into you have simply muddied the waters of your own argument.
+1.
What clubs the London County Board take under their wing is totally irrelevant to the Over 40s argument.

He's from Carrickmore, that would be impossible

theticklemister

Quote from: Rossfan on September 22, 2015, 10:58:24 AM
Falay

+1.

+1.

This should be in a 'Masters Thread'. Nothing to do with the British Army team.

BennyHarp

I agree that the over 40s should be sanctioned as part of the GAA and it's a pure joke that the GAA won't back this. I also understand the underlying uneasiness with the Irish Guards joining the GAA.

However, I just don't really get what one thing has to do with the other. It's not as if the over 40s were shunted out to make room for the Irish Guards. There's an important point to be made here and unfortunately it's got lost in the needless comparison.
That was never a square ball!!

falay

Again thanks for all the replies. I was not expecting agreement on this but lively debate to highlight the issue which is good to see.
I can understand the need to keep politics out of sport but my point is that because it was deemed politically correct at this time the GAA has no problem sanctioning the Irish Guards team whilst at the same time not allowing the masters' the same right. I have raised the issue because it is topical and because it is the most current snub against those who have failed to recognise the masters within the GAA. The fact that it is a regiment of the British Army is of course relevant and anyone who thinks that the GAA and politics have walked two different paths in this country are fooling themselves. The key point I am making is the glaringly obvious double standards. Also I believe that within the GAA views on the issue of The Irish Guards will very much depend on which side of the border the person grew up on.

AZOffaly

I see the link falay, but it's tenuous at best. The rights and wrongs of the Irish Guards being allowed join the GAA are not analogous with the Masters being discontinued, in my view. As others have said, many new clubs spring up and affiliate each year, and that fact does not explain the masters situation either. As Benny said, it's not as if the Masters is being discontinued to allow the Guards to join.

Conallach

It would be great if "the GAA" (which after all, is you as much as it's anyone else) would sanction and support Masters football, but I'd have to agree with NAG1 in that you'd be much better served addressing and dispelling the reasons behind 'their' decision not to. Linking your argument to a current (and potentially divisive) current talking point will of course help your argument get noticed, read but also potentially quickly discarded or dismissed unless the link between the two is genuine.

I'd have to wish you all the best with your campaign though, social & informal football of all categories is something that it'd be great to see a growth in

theticklemister

Irish Guards = British Army

Please get the name correct

armaghniac

Quote from: theticklemister on September 23, 2015, 06:48:42 PM
Irish Guards = British Army

Please get the name correct

It isn't the whole British Army, it is one regiment. If the Paras want to play they'll have to enter their own team.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rosnarun

seeing as the troubles are all over and we're all friends now  could anyone object to the IRA entering  teams in the various county championship where they no longer Exist?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

Quote from: rosnarun on September 24, 2015, 09:57:10 AM
seeing as the troubles are all over and we're all friends now  could anyone object to the IRA entering  teams in the various county championship where they no longer Exist?

They'd have to play all their games at home, of course.

(They don't go away, you know.)

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2015, 10:41:33 AM
I see the link falay, but it's tenuous at best. The rights and wrongs of the Irish Guards being allowed join the GAA are not analogous with the Masters being discontinued, in my view. As others have said, many new clubs spring up and affiliate each year, and that fact does not explain the masters situation either. As Benny said, it's not as if the Masters is being discontinued to allow the Guards to join.

I agree. I understand the frustration some people feel regarding the overturning of Rule 21 but I think it's another argument. My think on that would be I'd love to get a crack at them on the pitch!!!

The main point here is the Masters though. Can anything be done to solve the issues? I'd certainly be keen for it to be resolved. Am still playing a bit and turn 40 next year so self interest ahoy! 

Eamonnca1

I would imagine the Irish Guards didn't have the same insurance issues. Sounds to me like your anger is being directed to the wrong place. Work with the insurance companies and get it sorted out. No need to air your dirty laundry in public like this.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 24, 2015, 11:52:41 PM
I would imagine the Irish Guards didn't have the same insurance issues. Sounds to me like your anger is being directed to the wrong place. Work with the insurance companies and get it sorted out. No need to air your dirty laundry in public like this.

The Irish Guards clearly increase the likelihood of some sort of political stuff. There are two unrelated issues being conflated here, but there the OP has no "dirty laundry", it is is a legitimate question.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B