Wireless (internet) help

Started by lfdown2, October 21, 2008, 08:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 22, 2008, 02:32:02 PM
Have done all this several times already....the problem is not with connecting to the wireless network, it seems to be the router connecting to the internet is the problem.

Cycle through the various WAN Connection options - PVC0 to PVC7. If Orior's suggested problem is indeed the problem, then this should fix it.

tbrick18

Quote from: deiseach on October 22, 2008, 02:34:21 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on October 22, 2008, 02:32:02 PM
Have done all this several times already....the problem is not with connecting to the wireless network, it seems to be the router connecting to the internet is the problem.

Cycle through the various WAN Connection options - PVC0 to PVC7. If Orior's suggested problem is indeed the problem, then this should fix it.

Good man deiseach, I'll give that a wail too.

dodo

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 21, 2008, 12:20:53 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been having problems with my wireless D-Link router. I can connect to the router no problems and my signal strength is strong. However, I cannot access the internet through the router....it just hangs there. Now I've went through the entire set up process again by directly connecting the router to my pc and setting up my service provider login credentials and when connected that way access to the internet is fine and very fast. But as soon as I try accessing the internet wirelessly (sp?) it hangs again. I've resorted to using a wired modem which is a pain in the backside.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have a D-Link router as well at home and have the same issue from time to time. What I do is disconnect from my wireless network on the laptop, connect direct to the back of the router and chose my coded network again. This usually works for me.
If you do not disconnect from your wireless network and connect direct to the router you may get 2 networks as I did in the same name coded. Must be some auto configuring that is going awry.

Down Gael

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but don`t really need a new thread for this. I have recently bought a new Nokia E51. On the screen there is an icon for WLAN Search. Can I connect to the internet using this function for free? ie can I use the phone on my wireless connetion at home or will vodafone still be billing me for any time I use surfing on my phone?

gerrykeegan

Its free. all you are doing is connecting to your own network. You will be able to use it where there are any wifi hots spots also.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Down Gael

Thanks Gerry, now why didnt I buy a phone with a bigger screen.

Minder

Quote from: Down Gael on October 23, 2008, 02:27:22 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but don`t really need a new thread for this. I have recently bought a new Nokia E51. On the screen there is an icon for WLAN Search. Can I connect to the internet using this function for free? ie can I use the phone on my wireless connetion at home or will vodafone still be billing me for any time I use surfing on my phone?

Aye Down Gael i use the phone all the time at home when i cant be bothered getting the laptop out. It may ask you for your WEP key the first time you try to jump on your home broadband (assuming you have it encrypted), you should only have to input that once in your phone. When you are out and about any of the networks that dont have the wee padlock symbol can be "piggybanked" on, they are invariably unreliable though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

MayoMan

Anyone interested in hacking into the neighbours eircom wireless router??

bigfrank

I have broadband internet on my computer this past few years.lately i bought an i touch and need wireless to really get any use out of it.does anyone know that if i buy a wireless router and plug it into the router with the computer(im guessing this is what u do) will i get wireless throughout the house,through walls and up stairs in the rooms????below is a link to argos where they sell wireless routers and would be easy to get!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6757357/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

thanks

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: MayoMan on October 23, 2008, 04:22:51 PM
Anyone interested in hacking into the neighbours eircom wireless router??

Any luick with that Mayoman?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

Does network key mean the ISP username and password? If you don't know it then he's hardly paying it and you either need your own or piggyback one someone elses.

Here's a few things I would do if the above is not the problem....

Here's what you do...

Every modem / wireless router etc has the ability to do a "factory reset". If you google hard enough you can figure out how to do this. You need two things:

1. how do you reset it
2. what are the default passwords when you reset it

google is your friend for all of this.

There should also be logs in your admin web-page.(It should be on 192.168.0.1 and you also would probably want an ethernet cable to connect. Try the reset / login etc to sort that.

You can then choose your own security settings - e.g. MAC address filtering , WEP keys, passwords etc.

WaterBoy

Quote from: bigfrank on January 07, 2009, 06:57:02 PM
I have broadband internet on my computer this past few years.lately i bought an i touch and need wireless to really get any use out of it.does anyone know that if i buy a wireless router and plug it into the router with the computer(im guessing this is what u do) will i get wireless throughout the house,through walls and up stairs in the rooms????below is a link to argos where they sell wireless routers and would be easy to get!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6757357/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

thanks

The wireless router will replace your current router and will need to be set up/configured for your computer but that should be handy enough.  Regards the signal it depends on the size of your house but you should be able get connected in all rooms, obviously the closer you are to the router the better the signal will be!
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

DownFanatic

Right, I am clean buck useless with computers.

Recently got wireless up and going on my computer. Everything was fine until the past few days.

My laptop is picking up full strength signal from my router but when I hit connect it won't connect me and thus I cannot get on the internet.

I got so fucked off with the whole thing that I resetted my router to default. Now, I am totally buggered.

Anyone able to help me in laymans terms?

Bensars

Turn on router
Search for wirless devices from your laptop
once you see yours.......select
Click connect
Then enter the wireless code that will on the router

DownFanatic

Quote from: Bensars on May 06, 2010, 01:35:34 PM
Turn on router
Search for wirless devices from your laptop
once you see yours.......select
Click connect
Then enter the wireless code that will on the router

When I hit connect it starts attempting to connect me and then a message comes up sayin 'Unable to connect you to BT HomeHub'