An Mhi Vs Ceatharlach

Started by thejuice, May 12, 2008, 09:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Coming up this Sunday, it will be very interesting to see what we're like. No disrespect to Carlow but if we have any serious ambitions this year we should win this without too much of a scare. One thing I'd like to know is who went to Portugal, just wondering who's going to get a run out. I've only heard rumours and one is that Tagdh Brosnan is likley to be included. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mattockranger

hope Carlow pull off a shock :o

would be great to see the royals dumped out
knowing the dirty shower they be losing the whole way and get a fluky goal to win it at the death
then we'll hear the great meath quotes
'the comeback kings'    'meath never give up'    'never say die attitude'  'thats meath trademark down the years'
wat a load of S. H. I. T.!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Jinxy

:D :D

Do you want vinegar with them?

If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Quote from: mattockranger on May 12, 2008, 10:11:02 AM
hope Carlow pull off a shock :o

would be great to see the royals dumped out
knowing the dirty shower they be losing the whole way and get a fluky goal to win it at the death
then we'll hear the great meath quotes
'the comeback kings'    'meath never give up'    'never say die attitude'  'thats meath trademark down the years'
wat a load of S. H. I. T.!

Yeah, tell me what made you more sickened, the goal Gerathy got in the dying seconds in Navan, or holding you scoreless in the 2nd half in Croker in 2005.  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Love thy neighbour. Do good to them that bate you. Pray for them that persecute and humiliate you.

magpie seanie

Must say they look like lovely chips.

As Turk would always say - the Meath lads are great for picking their XV's to start so get going lads. With alll the suspensions whats the likely starting XV for the Royals the next day?

Hardy

Seanie, better brains than mine are puzzling over that for the last few weeks and I'd say they're having a problem too. I might have a go later on.

thejuice

Bit of good news from the Hoganstand and some insight to a possible team for sunday

QuoteThe returning Brian Farrell was among the scorers as Meath warmed up for next Sunday's Leinster SFC opener against Carlow with a 2-17 to 0-16 victory over Mayo in a weekend challenge at Dunderry.

The Nobber sharpshooter was making his first start of the year after recovering from a long-term hamstring problem. There were fears that he would miss next Sunday's Croke Park clash after injuring his knee during a club match last week, but the injury wasn't as serious as first feared and he was able to make an appearance as a substitute against a Mayo team that was notable for the inclusion of James Nallen at full back. Like Farrell, Nallen didn't see any league action this year.

With Conor Motimer and Alan Dillon in fine scoring form, Mayo led by 0-12 to 1-8 at the break. The result remained in the balance until seven minutes from the end when Graham Geraghty grabbed Meath's second major.

QuoteNew faces impress
12 May 2008

A number of the ew players brought onto the panel showed good form in Meath's challenge match win over Mayo at Dunderry.

Colm Coyle's options were limited by suspensions and injuries, but the side he put out had too much class for John O'Mahony's men.

Graham Geraghty was the best forward on view and he grabbed on of the Meath goals, while a number of additions to the panel came on over the course of the 70 plus minutes.

Brian Farrell made a comeback after his knee injury while Shane O'Rourke togged out but was an unused susbstitute.

Meath - P O'Rourke, C O'Connor, K Reilly, S Carr, T Skelly, E Harrington, C O Mealoid, M Ward, E Reilly, S Bray, B Meade, A Nestor, C Ward, J Sheridan, G Geraghty. Subs - B Sheridan, D Sheridan, B Farrell, B Ennis, H Finnegan.

And an eye witnesses account, take from it what you will......

Quotemeath beat mayo 2-17 to 0-15 in a challenge match earlier today (sunday). meath were missing 10 or so regulars and mayo were almost full strength. i think it was O'Rourke in goals. Brian and Joe Sheridan got some great scores. Damien sheridan looked decent at times. geraghty scored 1-4 i think, and could have been sent off for striking Keith Higgins. a bit of pushing and shoving followed but thankfully the ref didnt take any action after the incident. other players to impress were Chris O'Connor and Brian Meade. Brian Farrell got a run so looks like he could have a part to play next week. The trip to portugal looks to have done no harm anyway! roll on the championship!

his holiness nb

Jaysus ye louth folk really hate Meath  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Billys Boots

Even the Louth women hate Meath - there are two of them here at work grinding their teeth already at the prospect of Meath beating Carla.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

his holiness nb

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 12, 2008, 01:16:09 PM
Even the Louth women hate Meath - there are two of them here at work grinding their teeth already at the prospect of Meath beating Carla.

Must be quite amusing for Meath, to have the Louth lads foaming at the mouth as if they have a serious rivalry with ye. Reminds me of Laois folk talking about Dublin  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Jinxy

I wouldn't mind but we did our best to give Louth the win they crave a couple of times in the last few years. Short of running around the pitch blindfolded I don't see what more we could have done to help them. And they still couldn't win. Must be soul destroying.

thejuice

From Hoganstand.com

QuoteBack to the future for Geraghty?
13 May 2008

Speculation is mounting that Meath veteran Graham Geraghty could be restored to his old position in the half back line for Sunday's Leinster SFC clash with Carlow if the five suspended Royal County players fail to have their bans lifted.

Defenders Seamus Kenny, Niall McKeigue and Shane McAnarney are among the quintet who will have their appeals against two-month suspensions heard on Tuesday night by the Central Appeals Committee. One of the game's top attackers over the past decade, Geraghty began his inter-career as a right half back and won an All-Star there in 1994.

He had a brief spell in the position during the infamous clash with Dublin and also figured there for half an hour in a recent challenge against Cavan. He did, however, score 1-2 from half forward in another challenge against Mayo in Dunderry on Sunday night.

After missing the entire league through injury, Brian Farrell made his first appearance of the year for the Royals against Mayo and is now in contention for a starting place on Sunday. Shane O'Rourke is also making progress after recent hamstring problems, but the versatile Anthony Moyles is definitely out after recently undergoing a groin operation.

QuoteYoung Paddy O'Rourke, a nephew of Meath legend Colm, could make his debut for the county in goals against Carlow on Sunday.

O'Rourke was shot stopper for the Meath minors last year and was been drafted into the county panel three weeks ago after captain Brendan Murphy was hit with a two month suspension following the melee against Dublin in Parnell Park.

In the captain's absence number two choice Michael Aherne from Dunshaughlin had deputised between the posts in Meath's recent challenge games. However, Aherne pulled his groin in the warm up before Sunday's win over Mayo at Dunderry, which left the 19-year-old Skryne player as the only fit goalkeeper in the Meath squad.

The rookie 'keeper kept a clean sheet against John O'Mahony's men in the 2-17 to 0-16 win and is now in line to make his competitive debut against the Barrowsiders in Croke Park this weekend, unless Aherne makes a recovery from his groin complaint or Murphy is successful in his appeal against his suspension.

Jinxy

There aren't many like GG out there that you could slot in anywhere on the field and he'd be more than adequate. Remember him storming up the field as a wing-back against Dublin in '94? Single handedly dragged us back into the game. I'd love to see him play at centre back now.

stevecw

To be honest Carlow have no chance really. Best we can hope for from Sunday is to keep the score respectable.
I know Meath are more than likely missing a few, but we are missing some vital players too, and we don't have strength in depth in squad to cover for them.
After a promising start to year in O'Byrne cup beating wexford away & drawing with Dubs in Parnell Park, it all has gone downhill since then. Had a bad enough league including losing at home to Offaly by 20 points and to Waterford by 7. Also included away defeats to Wicklow & Antrim by 9 & 6 points.
So think the bookies have it right with meath at 1/20 to win. Still we'll be their in our mad jerseys cheering on the lads, praying for a miracle!