Quote from: Blowitupref on August 11, 2019, 07:33:10 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:28:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:09:53 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:07:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2019, 05:56:11 PM
Thought Tyrone were Deegan'd personally.  3 terrible decisions, 3 points for Kerry at the start of the second half shifted momentum towards Kerry. Really can't see Kerry getting within 7.
This, for me. He brought Kerry right into the game. Tyrone were the better team over the course of the game. That said, they failed to make it count. Harsh to point a finger at one player but McGeary totally fcuked it today.

Can't see how you come that conclusion. Better in the first half by some distance but still didn't put Kerry away. Kerry by far the better team in the second half and did put Tyrone away. The frees were soft but not frees that you haven't seen given in other games. There are very soft frees given in every game as far as I can see. I think Tyrone would be fooling themselves if they focused on the ref too much.
I watched the game.

And still came to that conclusion? Fair enough.
Absolutely. The ref dragged Kerry back into it with some terrible decisions at the start of the 2nd half. Tyrone fcuked it away at times (McGeary, in particular). They also didn't take their chances. In general though, they played the better football in the game.

My 1st post, written again, in different words.

Again, fair enough but would disagree. Kerry lost the first half but won the second half. I'm open to correction but when Tyrone were on top in the first half they didn't have many wides. Kerry missed more in the first half albeit due to good Tyrone defending in many cases. There were definitely some poor decisions by the ref and it certainly helped Kerry but I don't think Tyrone were in any way the better team. Kerry played them poorly in the first half and Tyrone couldn't make enough of it. Once Kerry sorted themselves out and made adjustments they pulled away and won fairly comfortably.

No offence but i hate that type of comment when a team wins a contest by just 1 score.

I thought Kerry were fairly comfortable winners in the end. I appreciate there was just the one score in it but Kerry won the second half by 7 and I didn't think Kerry were under any real pressure in the last 20 minutes.

That all important goal that gave them the lead played a huge part in winning the 2nd half by 7 points. Kerry were lucky they didn't find themselves further than 4 point behind at half time.

Can't be comfortable winning by just 1 score. Tyrone had a few half chances for goals 2nd half and as we seen with Kerry v Monaghan last year a goal with the last play of the game can grab a draw.

All true enough but I don't agree a one score win can't be comfortable. Yes, you can get caught if only a score up but you can win some games more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. Dubs All Ireland win last year and Kerry's win today are two examples for me.

Who was it comfortable for the Kerry players or supporters? i'm sure most didn't feel too comfortable leading by just 1 score deep into injury time.

Last year's All Ireland final not the best of examples,  Dublin took the lead in that match on 22 minutes and by half time they lead by 7 points, were 8 points ahead when they gave away a penalty on 65mins which didn't stop Dublin from running out comfortable winners.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

BennyCake

McShane needs a Stevie McDonnell-style partner, like Ronan Clarke had. They'd have won that today if McShane had help.

Armagh18

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 09:03:17 PM
Quote from: irish345 on August 11, 2019, 08:31:18 PM
time for harte to step down time for a fresh face
I'd say Harte is getting fair mileage out of the group he has. They're limited enough.
True. Only a few decent footballers on the team but how much of that is down to Harte's focus on athleticism over skill.

Owen Brannigan

From the Indo, the word directly from Mickey Harte........

Meanwhile, Mickey Harte has argued that Tyrone were victims of some "harsh" refereeing calls in the second half as his Red Hand charges faltered within sight of an All-Ireland final.

Asked specifically if he thought the referee had been harsh on Tyrone, Harte responded: "Well, that's an interesting question you ask. He obviously played a big part in it because he was very important, he made a lot of decisions ... you certainly would have looked at a few decisions and thought they were harsh."

Asked about any in particular, the Tyrone manager replied: "I felt it seemed to be easy to get frees at certain stages of the game - and this seeing things in the distance ahead of the game.

"One I thought was really strange, we were coming out with the ball, Mattie Donnelly is coming out to try and present for it and he's blown for holding.

"Now, I wonder why he would want to hold the defender? He'd want the ball, not to be holding the defender.

"But these things happen and I'm sure everyone will look at it through their own coloured lens ... and to mine, in the immediate reflection, I though there were a number of decisions that weren't good for us."

For all that, Harte conceded that Kerry were a team transformed in the second half.

"I thought we had a good first half and probably felt we could have been a wee bit further ahead - and that might have given us more of a platform to go on with," he reflected.

"We did expect there would be something more to Kerry, and I think we caught them a wee bit by surprise in the first half and they had time to reflect on that and regroup.

"They came out with a different attire in the second half ... they were up for the challenge, up for the fight. As the game went on, that became very apparent.

"And I suppose when it got close, a point for point game, a goal was going to be major for any team and that's the way it turned out.

"A goal meant Kerry only had to cover point for point and they were going to be in business. If we got a goal, I'd like to think we would have done the same thing, but we didn't and they did and that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes."

Harte expanded: "Kerry were different, they played with a different system in the second half ... I just think that half time is a dangerous place.

"If you are going well, you don't want half-time at all. We were going well up to half-time and that's a time-out to be able to make adjustments with settled minds — that was half-time at a bad time.

"You try to talk the right language to get your team to win the second half. That's what we tried to, and we would have been in the final. We didn't manage that, which is a shame," he concluded.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 11, 2019, 09:06:05 PM
I'd say Harte is getting fair mileage out of the group he has. They're limited enough.
True. Only a few decent footballers on the team but how much of that is down to Harte's focus on athleticism over skill.
talented players quiting the squad because of him, Lee Brennan, Ronan o neill, mark Bradley. Then Coney and Conan grugan can't get game time. All top ballers. It came back to bite us big time today.

clarshack

At half time I couldn't believe how poor Kerry had been. We were in complete control and couldn't see us not winning. That 2nd half from Tyrone was abysmal and was lost on the line. Beaten by an experienced Kerry team in 2015 and now by an inexperienced Kerry team 4 years later, with no wins against Dublin or Mayo in between for this particular Tyrone side, at what point does the manager put his hands up. It's time for a fresh face.

delgany

Disappointing game overall.
Lacked intensity and no drive in the game at all.
Refereeing was abject all over the pitch.
Ultimately, I thought Tyrone over utilised the long pass into Mc Shane , the passes were not pin point enough for him to maximise the scoring opportunities... in first half   he was clear at  edge of square  and got a shocking pass.
The quality of the foot passing was the undoing of Tyrone.

yellowcard

Heard Mickey Harte interviewed on Newstalk and he certainly didn't sound like a man that was for stepping down.

Cunny Funt

Could make a case that "modern" day football has a focus on that.

tonto1888

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 11, 2019, 09:15:28 PM
talented players quiting the squad because of him, Lee Brennan, Ronan o neill, mark Bradley. Then Coney and Conan grugan can't get game time. All top ballers. It came back to bite us big time today.

Didn't Bradley go to England to study

laceer

Hard one to take.Tyrone should have made more hay while on top in the first half. Kerry got a goal while they were in their purple patch and that was the difference.

Deegan did what was expected with a few handy frees for kerry in the second half but Tyrone should have taken it out of his hands.

Expect Dublin to win the final but fair play to Kerry, they knew how to get the win, Tyrone didn't.

Harte to stay, Tyrone to make a semi final next year at least, Dubs for six in a row.

Armagh18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 11, 2019, 09:25:11 PM

Could make a case that "modern" day football has a focus on that.
Need a balance. Look at the Dubs. Pure athletes and ballers.

Main Street

Quote from: Erne Man on August 11, 2019, 07:59:15 PM
I didn't think Deegan significantly influenced the outcome - as soon as you drop an arm across the shoulder you leave yourself open to being penalised
Agreed, there were some soft decisions to Kerry but nothing remarkable, hard to credit the whinging, as usual much ado about nothing. The ref doesnt even make the list of 10 decisive influences on that game.
Tyrone had that game and then lost it in a ponderous third quarter. Strange enough, but I think Big Sean would have carried Tyrone to victory out there, a missing leadership ingredient.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
Quote from: Erne Man on August 11, 2019, 07:59:15 PM
I didn't think Deegan significantly influenced the outcome - as soon as you drop an arm across the shoulder you leave yourself open to being penalised
Agreed, there were some soft decisions to Kerry but nothing remarkable, hard to credit the whinging, as usual much ado about nothing. The ref doesnt even make the list of 10 decisive influences on that game.
Tyrone had that game and then lost it in a ponderous third quarter. Strange enough, but I think Big Sean would have carried Tyrone to victory out there, a missing leadership ingredient.
Puts last year's semi into perspective . Tyrone won it by a point. Tiny margins
Tyrone are still in the peleton.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU