The Ched Evans Thread

Started by Franko, November 19, 2014, 10:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Yes, but the verdict is either Guilty, or Not Guilty. They, the jury, don't say 'Guilty', 'Innocent' or 'Not Guilty', I think?

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2016, 02:20:18 PM
Yes, but the verdict is either Guilty, or Not Guilty. They, the jury, don't say 'Guilty', 'Innocent' or 'Not Guilty', I think?

AFAIK there is no such thing as being found "innocent".  You're either guilty or not guilty.

AZOffaly

'Sactly. So even though we as observers can draw a distinction based on a judges instruction, or comment, the law just says Not Guilty. i.e. You didn't do it.

Of course if a civil case were taken, where the burden of proof is a little less onerous, then it's possible to have a criminal 'not guilty' but a civil damages awarded against you.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2016, 02:26:15 PM
'Sactly. So even though we as observers can draw a distinction based on a judges instruction, or comment, the law just says Not Guilty. i.e. You didn't do it.

Of course if a civil case were taken, where the burden of proof is a little less onerous, then it's possible to have a criminal 'not guilty' but a civil damages awarded against you.

No, that's the technicality. By declaring you not guilty, the court does not declare that you didn't do it. It declares there wasn't enough evidence to convict you of it, therefore you are presumed to be innocent. You may still have done it though.

AZOffaly

Doesn't matter. You implied there was a third option 'Innocent'. There isn't. That's just up to observers to add. You're either Guilty or Not Guilty. There's no such thing as 'Not Guilty, wink wink'.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2016, 02:44:47 PM
Doesn't matter. You implied there was a third option 'Innocent'. There isn't. That's just up to observers to add. You're either Guilty or Not Guilty. There's no such thing as 'Not Guilty, wink wink'.

No, I didn't. I just answered a question that someone asked ("does this quashing mean that he is innocent or just not guilty of the crime?").

And yes, it does matter.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2016, 02:53:48 PM

No, I didn't. I just answered a question that someone asked ("does this quashing mean that he is innocent or just not guilty of the crime?").

And yes, it does matter.

Apologies, I thought you were suggesting there was a third type of verdict. Of course there's a difference in real life, but in the eyes of the law it's no different.

grounded

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2016, 02:59:28 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2016, 02:53:48 PM

And yes, it does matter.

Apologies, I thought you were suggesting there was a third type of verdict. Of course there's a difference in real life, but in the eyes of the law it's no different.

Does innocence even exist in todays society? You're guilty if someone writes something about you on the internet these days. Even if it is proven false there is no smoke without fire. It's a sad state of affairs that the world has come to this!!

Franko

Estimator

The legislation protecting alleged victims is now in tatters. The fact that previous sexual partners were able to give evidence against the woman/in favour of Ched, may have future implications for a lot of rape cases.
Ulster League Champions 2009

theskull1

Quote from: Estimator on October 14, 2016, 05:37:17 PM
The legislation protecting alleged victims is now in tatters. The fact that previous sexual partners were able to give evidence against the woman/in favour of Ched, may have future implications for a lot of rape cases.

So you're implying there (judging by the tone of your words) that the original verdict should have stood on basis that that case swinging evidence shouldn't have been submitted, even though he was (in the eyes of the court after that evidence was submitted) not guilty of the crime.  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

this case always stood out to me as one that couldn't be proven "beyond reasonable doubt" so irrespective of what people think i never saw how he could have been convicted.

Estimator

Quote from: theskull1 on October 14, 2016, 06:02:44 PM
Quote from: Estimator on October 14, 2016, 05:37:17 PM

So you're implying there (judging by the tone of your words) that the original verdict should have stood on basis that that case swinging evidence shouldn't have been submitted, even though he was (in the eyes of the court after that evidence was submitted) not guilty of the crime.  :-\

I was thinking only about the legislation regarding the protection of the victim. E.g. Just because a woman has loose morals regarding sexual activity, doesn't mean that she can't be raped. I thought this might open the door to further cases being blighted by that. But the article below sets a few things out.
Ulster League Champions 2009