Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on August 11, 2022, 10:07:23 AM
I didn't realise there was event with information on the new Casement Park at the Feile or I would of went. Was there any sort of outline given for a start date?

Was it specifically for that or was it part of the West Belfast talkback show?  Never knew either
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 10:13:06 AM
I didn't realise there was event with information on the new Casement Park at the Feile or I would of went. Was there any sort of outline given for a start date?

Was it specifically for that or was it part of the West Belfast talkback show?  Never knew either

There was a specific talk re casement in the Wolf and Whistle Bar yesterday as part of the Feile held by Failte Feirste Thiar wth Guest speaker Peter Canavan

BrendanAntrim

No certainty of start date, but its clear its not imminent. There was lots of talk about business case, engagement with Gov departments, and the potential of the stadium to regenerate West Belfast and the city. All very upbeat but while I was there (and I had to leave before it ended).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on August 11, 2022, 10:58:07 AM

No certainty of start date, but its clear its not imminent. There was lots of talk about business case, engagement with Gov departments, and the potential of the stadium to regenerate West Belfast and the city. All very upbeat but while I was there (and I had to leave before it ended).

Not even a ball park date? Christ this is soooooooo bad
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 11:15:48 AM

Current ring fenced funds aren't sufficient. Until the delta is addressed it's not happening.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: johnnycool on August 11, 2022, 11:22:24 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 11:15:48 AM

Current ring fenced funds aren't sufficient. Until the delta is addressed it's not happening.
If no certainty of start sounds like a lot of waffle ! its like celebrating at half time

Spike

i am hoping they are exploring all opportunities here though I appreciate we are not privy to the business case of the GAA but it is getting to that stage where something needs to be constructed on the site.     

Business case aside you would expect the ring fenced money to be able to provide something.  Are they exploring phased construction?  1 stand, 2 stand options with the closing in of the two ends at a later date as part of an overall 10 year plan?

How much would it cost to get the old Casement Park operational again with a new single stand down either side of the pitch with media & conferencing facilities, even just 1 stand down 1 side? 25 to 35mill?    £5 to 10mill just to get Casement Park operational again? 

The problem with a lot of this is that we don't know how much of the ring fenced money is going to be automatically hoovered up by consultants who require to be paid for their work to date.   

if someone has the business case presented by the GAA, can they post the link?        it would be nice to see Casement opened in some capacity which is not beyond us.  The shiny glowing new Casement Park appears in front of us like a mirage that we can never get near to

Milltown Row2

What work have they actually done to date these consultants? Some of them owe money due to the fact that they were shit...

marty34

Seems that they're ploughing ahead with it regardless.

Could be years before it's built unfortunately.

Are there any other green field sites in the greater west Belfast area with decent links to the motorway?

Would ye whist

Moving on from the never ending Sh*tshow which is Casement, any predictions for the weekend?

Lisburn v Sarsfields- Sarsfields by 7
Glenavy v Antrim- Glenavy by 5
Rasharkin v Glenravel- Glenravel by 9
Teresa's v St Pauls- St Pauls by 4
Dunloy v Ardoyne- Dunloy by 2

St Galls v Creggan- Creggan by 7
Brigid's v Moneyglass- Draw
Gorts v TNN- TNN by 3
St Enda's v Rossa- Rossa by 2
LD v St Johns- Draw
Ahoghill v PG1- PG1 by 8

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 12:43:09 PM
What work have they actually done to date these consultants? Some of them owe money due to the fact that they were shit...
Also seems to be a Communication / PR Company always on the scene at anything Casement related, who pays for that? Too many people making a living out of the situation in my humble opinion.

Sportacus

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 11, 2022, 03:24:19 PM
Quote from: Spike on August 11, 2022, 11:58:59 AM
i am hoping they are exploring all opportunities here though I appreciate we are not privy to the business case of the GAA but it is getting to that stage where something needs to be constructed on the site.     

Business case aside you would expect the ring fenced money to be able to provide something.  Are they exploring phased construction?  1 stand, 2 stand options with the closing in of the two ends at a later date as part of an overall 10 year plan?

How much would it cost to get the old Casement Park operational again with a new single stand down either side of the pitch with media & conferencing facilities, even just 1 stand down 1 side? 25 to 35mill?    £5 to 10mill just to get Casement Park operational again? 

The problem with a lot of this is that we don't know how much of the ring fenced money is going to be automatically hoovered up by consultants who require to be paid for their work to date.   

if someone has the business case presented by the GAA, can they post the link?        it would be nice to see Casement opened in some capacity which is not beyond us.  The shiny glowing new Casement Park appears in front of us like a mirage that we can never get near to
Unfortunately, the only people to see any merit in getting Casement operational, in a guise other than big new shiny, are those in Antrim GAA clubs. Our say on this matter was surrendered a long time ago. And we can have no complaints as we allowed it to happen in front of our very eyes.
Unforgivable, made worse by the white elephant ego project that was then conceived.

Spike

Perhaps the position is now as Ulster Gaels that we make a demand that we want whatever £77.5mill less expenses occurred to date, gets us now?  Even if it is two stands down either side of the pitch or a horseshoe stadium like croke park.     If we've signed the deeds away and slink away then we will be looking at this travesty for another generation at least

marty34

Quote from: Sportacus on August 11, 2022, 04:18:24 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 11, 2022, 03:24:19 PM
Quote from: Spike on August 11, 2022, 11:58:59 AM

Unfortunately, the only people to see any merit in getting Casement operational, in a guise other than big new shiny, are those in Antrim GAA clubs. Our say on this matter was surrendered a long time ago. And we can have no complaints as we allowed it to happen in front of our very eyes.
Unforgivable, made worse by the white elephant ego project that was then conceived.

In fairness, I didn't hear too many complain when it was first announced.

Problem started with the decision to close it off for games and left to rot before and plans got made etc.

After that, it was one balls up after another and turned into a farce.

imtommygunn

Giving it away was a major faux pas.