Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on August 11, 2022, 11:31:49 AM
Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2022, 04:18:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2022, 02:21:24 PM
Kilkenny are 2 years behind Man Utd.

They are like the Kerry team who could not beat Tyrone or the other ones who could not beat Down.

There will be huge pressure to deliver an all Ireland imo. Out of respect for Cody there  issue was probably shelved but 8 years is massive for them and on the slippery slope to Cork...

Hard to know. One thing for sure is that there's good hurlers in KK.  Moreso than in any other county.

Lyng will get time, if they want to do it right.  Style needs to adjust a bit yet but work in progress.

I mean who would have reckoned, at the start of the year, that they'd win Leinster again and run Limerick as close as they've been ever run. Not me.

Point is they will always be there or thereabouts as they have the hurlers.

As a student of kk hurling they are in trouble with both the  quantity and quality of hurler they are producing

Cody getting them to an all ireland this year would rank close to the top of his greatest achievements

If he had won it, it would have been his greatest 

Reid started in 2008 with canning Callanan and Horgan,he's committed to one more year but time waits for no man

I agree that if they had won it this year, it'd be No. 1 as his best.

They have the hurlers in KK - that's a fact of life. They will always be getting to Leinster Finals and All-Ireland Finals, whether that be minor, U20 and Senior on a regular basis.

seafoid

Hurling is at an interesting juncture because the 3 top teams, namely Cork, Tipp and KK who between them have something over 80% of all All Irelands , are all in a state of change.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on August 11, 2022, 01:36:35 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 11, 2022, 11:31:49 AM

They are like the Kerry team who could not beat Tyrone or the other ones who could not beat Down.

There will be huge pressure to deliver an all Ireland imo. Out of respect for Cody there  issue was probably shelved but 8 years is massive for them and on the slippery slope to Cork...

Hard to know. One thing for sure is that there's good hurlers in KK.  Moreso than in any other county.

Lyng will get time, if they want to do it right.  Style needs to adjust a bit yet but work in progress.

I mean who would have reckoned, at the start of the year, that they'd win Leinster again and run Limerick as close as they've been ever run. Not me.

As a student of kk hurling they are in trouble with both the  quantity and quality of hurler they are producing

Cody getting them to an all ireland this year would rank close to the top of his greatest achievements

If he had won it, it would have been his greatest 

Reid started in 2008 with canning Callanan and Horgan,he's committed to one more year but time waits for no man

I agree that if they had won it this year, it'd be No. 1 as his best.

They have the hurlers in KK - that's a fact of life. They will always be getting to Leinster Finals and All-Ireland Finals, whether that be minor, U20 and Senior on a regular basis.

no Senior All Ireland since 2015

heading into their 8th year without an All Ireland constitutes a famine in KK,Their longest period without one was 9 years.

More worrying is the fact that the conveyor belt has broken down on them 8 years without a minor title and they were waiting 13 years for an u20/21 before they won it this year.

if the warning lights aren't flashing at a Cork style crisis, they should be

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2022, 02:27:37 PM
Hurling is at an interesting juncture because the 3 top teams, namely Cork, Tipp and KK who between them have something over 80% of all All Irelands , are all in a state of change.

Senior All Ireland last won

Cork 2005
Kilkenny 2015
Tipp 2019

U20/21 last won

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2022
Tipp 2019

Big 3 have won 5 of the last 5 titles

Minor

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2014
Tipp 2022

big 3 have won 3 of the last 5 titles

They haven't gone gone away yet if they can translate underage into adult

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on August 11, 2022, 01:32:29 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 11, 2022, 10:15:45 AM

They're still reliant on the 34 yo TJ Reid though, so he'll probably wait till he's the club campaign out of the way before committing to another year at IC.

If he hangs up the compression socks that's a big blow for Lyng.

Why wouldn't he keep going?

He loves playing hurling first and foremost.

He'd injury issues throughout the last club championship campaign so if he comes through that alright was the point I was making.

seafoid

Quote from: clonadmad on August 11, 2022, 03:41:41 PM

Cork 2005
Kilkenny 2015
Tipp 2019

U20/21 last won

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2022
Tipp 2019

Minor

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2014
Tipp 2022

They never go away but times when all 3 are off all Ireland pace simultaneously are very rare.   

marty34

Cork 2005
Kilkenny 2015
Tipp 2019

U20/21 last won

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2022
Tipp 2019

Minor

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2014
Tipp 2022

As I say they'll always be competitive.

Young Hurlers of the Year in Adrian Mullan and Eoin Cody (twice) this past few years.

KK produce the hurlers and have run maybe one of the best teams ever (Limerick) as close as anyone.

Be interesting to see how Lyng approaches things next year.

Will they play with a bit more freedom?

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on August 11, 2022, 05:30:02 PM

Cork 2005
Kilkenny 2015
Tipp 2019

U20/21 last won

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2022
Tipp 2019

Minor

Cork 2021
Kilkenny 2014
Tipp 2022

As I say they'll always be competitive.

Young Hurlers of the Year in Adrian Mullan and Eoin Cody (twice) this past few years.

KK produce the hurlers and have run maybe one of the best teams ever (Limerick) as close as anyone.

Be interesting to see how Lyng approaches things next year.

Will they play with a bit more freedom?

Kilkenny have always played with freedom, but can you change that ingrained approach of lumping the ball forward in the expectation that a forward should win his own ball, that's the challenge facing Lyng.
There are signs this year of a more varied approach but when the pressure was applied by Galway in Salthill, Wexford in Nolan Park and Limerick in Croke park that they reverted to type with varying degrees of success.
Big Wally caused Limerick bother for about 10 minutes under long puckouts, but once Limerick got to grips with it, plan B was to keep doing plan A.

seafoid

Limerick are going to have the same problem KK have now. You can't have a Shefflin or a Hegarty without cutting off the supply of younger players to the detriment of the future. It is central to all team sports.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2022, 12:24:11 PM
Limerick are going to have the same problem KK have now. You can't have a Shefflin or a Hegarty without cutting off the supply of younger players to the detriment of the future. It is central to all team sports.

Is every county not trying to unearth a player like the above mentioned?

imtommygunn

I don't understand your point at all here... are you saying having great players now is bad for the future?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2022, 12:47:07 PM

I don't understand your point at all here... are you saying having great players now is bad for the future?

I sorta get what he's trying to say, so successful teams have a cohort of players that never get replaced or step down before they should, displacing them is very hard, if you have a conveyor belt of players at juvenile and they step up to senior, will the manager change the team or stick with his currently brilliant team (Dublin,Limerick) so when that brilliant time starts to all retire at the same age, those fantastic kids that were coming through have went off the boil, stopped player or just concentrated on their clubs..

I've seen it up close and the drop off is horrible but do you make hay when the sun shines of do you constantly look at developing the team for the future?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Tbh that's not really what happened KK though. They have some very good players - just not as many as they had which when you look at the standard of them is not surprising.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2022, 01:00:45 PM
Tbh that's not really what happened KK though. They have some very good players - just not as many as they had which when you look at the standard of them is not surprising.

No but it did happen after their last win, they did go off the boil by their own standards, yes by the very nature of the hurling championship teams like Kilkenny will always get to the last 4, but based on their previous records they haven't unearthed brilliant replacements, we know Kilkenny will always produce high standard players, just not superstars lately

The examples I threw in were Dublin and Limerick, its up to Limerick to top up their team every year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

There's also a generational element to it though. Dublin were deemed to have got where they were with finances and now have dropped off as standard of player just not as good. That happens too.

Limerick have the likes of O'Neill and others coming through (very good u20 team) but like every team they will drop off again - just not for a few years I imagine.