Ballyjamesduff

Started by Hereiam, August 30, 2016, 10:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 06, 2016, 10:45:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2016, 10:17:59 PM
The article was written from a female point of view. And a lot of women were scared by the story. Because it will happen again. Battery is bad enough but the slaughter of the family by the father is a different level of violence altogether. And nothing is done to investigate these cases. So women aren't even safe in their homes.

And what about Mary Keegan who stabbed her own two sons before committing suicide? She wasn't a man and not the only woman to carry out an atrocity. Also like Alan Hawe people spoke of her great character.

Good point.

It's seems like there's no end to lengths people will go to demonise Hawe in pursuit of their own ends. I've so far seen the Irish Government and the viewpoint on domestic abuse been blamed for this atrocity. It's only a matter of time until the Israeli's, the DUP and Donald Trump get the blame for it too.

As Mr Deeds said the last case of this was Mary Keegan who stabbed her two sons. Where were the feminist outcry when this occurred? f**k me a week ago supposedly this nation wasn't doing enough to help people with mental illness and we stigmatise and shun people who suffer from it. A week later all of a sudden the prevailing mood is that there's too much sympathy for people with mental issues and the nation is too ready to excuse murder for the sake of it.

Where's the balance in today's media? Where's the objective opinion? Where's the consideration of different views? Where's the intelligence to allow your beliefs to be challenged and corrected?

It's like the whole world is full of Kate Hopkins, each in competition with the last to make their outbursts more profane, more damning, more controversial than the last, in the increasingly correct assumption that "he who shouts loudest wins". That's my problem with the world in the last 5-6 years. The proliferation of social media has allowed a whole chorus of idiots to vent their worthless opinions, to be latched onto by the greater mass of idiots who present these inane beliefs as a measured argument.

This clamour of unchallenged, unproven, unsympathetic rhetoric has lead to both the successful Brexit campaign and the rise of Donald Trump as a contender to be the most powerful man in the world. It's present even here in the particularly small fish bowl of the GAA. Spillane tells us that the Northern counties play "puke football" and Brolly pontificates that Mayo are a team of serial cheaters. People gravitate towards the side that reflects them best and the chance of sensible debate is lost.

There's no room for reflection anymore. The only rule of the internet is mob rule, it's ugly, it's indiscriminate and it's damaging. I'm tired of this shit.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

Trileacman wins shut the thread!

give her dixie

Quote from: trileacman on September 06, 2016, 11:23:04 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on September 06, 2016, 10:45:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2016, 10:17:59 PM
The article was written from a female point of view. And a lot of women were scared by the story. Because it will happen again. Battery is bad enough but the slaughter of the family by the father is a different level of violence altogether. And nothing is done to investigate these cases. So women aren't even safe in their homes.

And what about Mary Keegan who stabbed her own two sons before committing suicide? She wasn't a man and not the only woman to carry out an atrocity. Also like Alan Hawe people spoke of her great character.

Good point.

It's seems like there's no end to lengths people will go to demonise Hawe in pursuit of their own ends. I've so far seen the Irish Government and the viewpoint on domestic abuse been blamed for this atrocity. It's only a matter of time until the Israeli's, the DUP and Donald Trump get the blame for it too.

As Mr Deeds said the last case of this was Mary Keegan who stabbed her two sons. Where were the feminist outcry when this occurred? f**k me a week ago supposedly this nation wasn't doing enough to help people with mental illness and we stigmatise and shun people who suffer from it. A week later all of a sudden the prevailing mood is that there's too much sympathy for people with mental issues and the nation is too ready to excuse murder for the sake of it.

Where's the balance in today's media? Where's the objective opinion? Where's the consideration of different views? Where's the intelligence to allow your beliefs to be challenged and corrected?

It's like the whole world is full of Kate Hopkins, each in competition with the last to make their outbursts more profane, more damning, more controversial than the last, in the increasingly correct assumption that "he who shouts loudest wins". That's my problem with the world in the last 5-6 years. The proliferation of social media has allowed a whole chorus of idiots to vent their worthless opinions, to be latched onto by the greater mass of idiots who present these inane beliefs as a measured argument.

This clamour of unchallenged, unproven, unsympathetic rhetoric has lead to both the successful Brexit campaign and the rise of Donald Trump as a contender to be the most powerful man in the world. It's present even here in the particularly small fish bowl of the GAA. Spillane tells us that the Northern counties play "puke football" and Brolly pontificates that Mayo are a team of serial cheaters. People gravitate towards the side that reflects them best and the chance of sensible debate is lost.

There's no room for reflection anymore. The only rule of the internet is mob rule, it's ugly, it's indiscriminate and it's damaging. I'm tired of this shit.

How on earth can you trivialise this local horror to the Middle East, the USA, and to the DUP , in one sweeping statement .

This was a horrific murder of 3 children and a mother.

What he did with himself afterwards is a suicide.

What he did before was cold blooded murder of 4 innocent people who died in horrific circumstances.

Let's not loose sight of that fact.........

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Esmarelda

Good to see a lot of logical posts in the last few pages. I'm talking about those from Mr. Deeds, Rossfan and Omaghjoe.

Seafoid, you can have any amount of theories on why it happened but please could you state them as such and stop suggesting that a certain theory must be true because of the lack of alternatives.

Give her dixie, you've stated that what happened was the "cold-blooded" murder of four people. This suggests that it was carried out without emotion which you cannot say with any certainty.

seafoid

Social media is changing the way old media work. More voices are joining the mix. It is pretty clear from this story.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2016, 10:49:18 AM
Social media is changing the way old media work. More voices are joining the mix. It is pretty clear from this story.

Yes, and more uninformed voices, adding copious amounts of stupidity.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2016, 10:58:31 AM

The ones that make it into the newspapers are not stupid
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2016, 11:17:06 AM

Some of them are. And some of them are just blowhards. And some are just controversial for the sake of it. There's very little good journalism any more.

supersarsfields

Tony's made it into print before.........

LeoMc

Richard Littlejohn
Katie Hopkins
Piers Morgan

Esmarelda

I'm starting to think Seafoid might be as much a WUM as TFearon.

No wides

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 07, 2016, 12:36:17 PM

Only took 13000 posts to work that out!

Esmarelda

Quote from: No wides on September 07, 2016, 12:37:54 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 07, 2016, 12:36:17 PM

Only took 13000 posts to work that out!
I was only around for the last couple of thousand.

Hound

Gardai have confirmed the murder weapon Alan Hawe used to butcher his wife, Clodagh.

An axe.