The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Lily4life on July 25, 2011, 12:21:52 AM
It's very hard to listen to Joe Brolly on The Sunday Game at times.
Kildare win and he decides to single out a player and insult him for a performance a year ago.
He thought the controversial point at the end of the Wexford match was funny, doubt he would have felt the same if it was Derry in the same situation.

He would if he was jarred.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SLIGONIAN

Kildare win and he decides to single out a player and insult him for a performance a year ago.
He thought the controversial point at the end of the Wexford match was funny, doubt he would have felt the same if it was Derry in the same situation.
Its seems to me any outside criticism whether its accurate or not is termed an insult by people within the county being analysed. Brolly said he wimps out against the big boys, and that doing it against lesser teams like Derry :D doesnt change that opinion, he did say he may have been harsh in the way he said it when probed by des, but probably stands by his point. Hopefully Kavanagh does the business the next day after seeing that ;) as i would love to see Kildare lift Sam.

I do agree on the wexford point issue, it wasnt funny and he was sniggering away in the background. I feel sorry for wexford but im glad for limerick.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Jinxy

That Masterson lad annoys me.
He needs to learn to control his emotions.

Dinny Breen

Jaysus L4L, this is good news the hype was annoying, Kildare need to win something to prove they are the team we know they are capable off. We don't need affirmation from a Derry man doing an impression of Oliver Reid on national TV.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

A lot of teams will have Joe Brolly to thank if they win the All-Ireland.

diehard

Brolly and Spillane are mostly interested in promoting their own media iprofile and being controversial seems to be a handy way of keeping it up there. I find them boring at this stage and feel their days in RTE are numbered or at least ought to be.  It would be nice to have decent analysis that gives a good insight into games without insulting everyone in sight.

sheamy

Pay no attention to Davis or Brolly. They are equally embarrassing in different ways.

magpie seanie

See here is the crux of GAA analysis. Do we want the bland Sky Sports style analysis which illuminates only the most ill-informed? Or do we want the truth, the facts laid bare even if it is hurtful to players who are "amateur"? Personally, I lean towards the latter, just. I think the criticisms in this case were justified largely and not over the top. Des Cahill showed he is a goon and Tony Davis did his best impression of parish pump politics.

As for the laughing during the Limerick point/wide debate Brolly was just laughing at the stupidity of Davis' argument. "The ref was sure it was a point" - is that why he ran in and consulted the umpires?

It was the best Sunday Game in ages!

clarshack

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2011, 10:38:57 AM
See here is the crux of GAA analysis. Do we want the bland Sky Sports style analysis which illuminates only the most ill-informed? Or do we want the truth, the facts laid bare even if it is hurtful to players who are "amateur"? Personally, I lean towards the latter, just. I think the criticisms in this case were justified largely and not over the top. Des Cahill showed he is a goon and Tony Davis did his best impression of parish pump politics.

As for the laughing during the Limerick point/wide debate Brolly was just laughing at the stupidity of Davis' argument. "The ref was sure it was a point" - is that why he ran in and consulted the umpires?

would agree with that.

tbrick18

Without Brolly and Spillane the Sunday Game would be a bore fest.
Brolly isnt too often that far off the mark though and I think he understands the modern game a lot more than Tony Davis or Spillane.
But it's good to have two contrasting points of view for the sake of discussion.

Dinny Breen

Expect we're not getting much analysis from Brolly just rhetoric without much substance besides the obvious, it's certainly not insightful or indeed intelligent. I mean his attack on Cork, saying they had no skill, really? What does that say about the rest of the country? 

It's entertaining like Dunphy and stirs debate but I just find The Sunday Game has gone very very stale, you just don't learn anything from it.

#newbridgeornowhere

ross matt

Brolly always sneers disrespectfully at teams he wants to criticise rather than offer something constructive. Controversial for the sake of it is as boring as bland soundbite type analysis. He is a Spillane mini me. Himself, Spillane and O'Rourke should be sent out the pasture instead of them taking tax payer money with bar room slaggin as the basis for their preparation and delivery.

Davis wiped the floor with Brolly last night. Yes it was parish pump politics on Davis's point but when Brolly was on the recieving end he got flustered and kept changing the point... constantly referring to Cork no beating Kerry in Croker as if its breaking news. He completely ignored Davis's argument that the Cork half backs have scored more than any other half backline in the last few years.

Stevie g 8

at least brolly adds a bit a entertainment to it,davis ,mc stay,carney are just so boring and it,s time to get someone new and refreshing.

EC Unique

Quote from: ross matt on July 25, 2011, 11:30:54 AM
Brolly always sneers disrespectfully at teams he wants to criticise rather than offer something constructive. Controversial for the sake of it is as boring as bland soundbite type analysis. He is a Spillane mini me. Himself, Spillane and O'Rourke should be sent out the pasture instead of them taking tax payer money with bar room slaggin as the basis for their preparation and delivery.

Davis wiped the floor with Brolly last night. Yes it was parish pump politics on Davis's point but when Brolly was on the recieving end he got flustered and kept changing the point... constantly referring to Cork no beating Kerry in Croker as if its breaking news. He completely ignored Davis's argument that the Cork half backs have scored more than any other half backline in the last few years.

Would be interesting to find out if this is true. I always thought Tyrone would head this tally.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 25, 2011, 11:24:16 AM

Expect we're not getting much analysis from Brolly just rhetoric without much substance besides the obvious, it's certainly not insightful or indeed intelligent. I mean his attack on Cork, saying they had no skill, really? What does that say about the rest of the country? 

It's entertaining like Dunphy and stirs debate but I just find The Sunday Game has gone very very stale, you just don't learn anything from it.

Brolly exaggerates his points (I think this is his profession coming out in him!) but in comparison to Kerry or Tyrone, Cork are not as skilful. He makes some good points about Cork to be honest. Despite this I can see them winning Sam this year (and maybe a few more) but I too find them a little boring and mechanical.