Portlaoise GAA vs Laois County Board

Started by Bueller, May 18, 2016, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Clonad/ Ratheniska beat Portlaoise 7-16 to 0-3 in the u14 A hurling league last night. Why would anyone in Clonad WANT to go to Portlaoise to hurl??!

Shapes Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: burdizzo on June 03, 2016, 04:23:55 PM
Clonad/ Ratheniska beat Portlaoise 7-16 to 0-3 in the u14 A hurling league last night. Why would anyone in Clonad would WANT to go to Portlaoise to hurl??!

I think that's the part people are missing. Players have to WANT to move. In the case that Portlaoise took, the individual WANTED to move. It's all well and good Portlaoise allegedly 'wanting' all these lads, but they themselves will actually have to want to go as well.

Faugheen

Michael Bolton,acting chairman of the hurling board??? is this Michael Bolton from Graiguecullen???

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Downtheroad on July 15, 2016, 01:39:25 PM
Folks

Here is the full report on the DRA case.

http://www.sportsdra.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/DRA15-2016-Award.pdf

"BL"? There are barristers are these meetings?

Basically, there's a loophole where the transfer happens within the parish?

They're citing contra perferentum, yet it was Portlaoise's idea to come up with this rural/urban rule, was it not? Weren't Portlaoise

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Faugheen on July 15, 2016, 04:13:29 PM
Michael Bolton,acting chairman of the hurling board??? is this Michael Bolton from Graiguecullen???
HC in that document means hearing committee. Mick is acting chairman of the Laois hearing committee.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Keyser Söze

It's interesting that the only legal professional in attendance agreed with Laois County Board. And he felt strongly enough to include a personal piece at the end.
Is that normal?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

They agree with the Co. Board but also agree that they have to get the wording right and insert an amendment to the rule.  (Pending that clarification/amendment, this DRA decision is not to be treated as a precedent and is distinguished to its facts.)
If they get it right this can't happen again as this case will not treated as a precedent. It's all down to the Co. Board now ...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Downtheroad

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 15, 2016, 09:08:07 PM
They agree with the Co. Board but also agree that they have to get the wording right and insert an amendment to the rule.  (Pending that clarification/amendment, this DRA decision is not to be treated as a precedent and is distinguished to its facts.)
If they get it right this can't happen again as this case will not treated as a precedent. It's all down to the Co. Board now ...
There is more than just this loophole  to be fixed. Here's one obvious one: A player from Portlaoise parish who has opted to play 1st club for Ballyfin or /Colt under school rule now wants to move to Portlaoise Gaa club without moving residence isn't covered either.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 15, 2016, 09:08:07 PM

Did the BL not state at the end that he didn't agree with the decision and that he was of the opinion that Laois GAA were correct or did I read it wrong?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

No, you read it right. The BL agreed with the Co. Board but the tribunal had to agree to the transfer because of the loophole and stated that the Co. Board should amend the transfer byelaws.

(The Tribunal further advises that the Laois County Board, through their county committee and convention and usual procedures, work to provide clarity or amend this aspect of their transfer byelaws. Pending that clarification/amendment, this DRA decision is not to be treated as a precedent and is distinguished to its facts.)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

the BL's personal note is of zero relevance when majority rule dictates with DRA. The Laois Executive have been told what they have for by law as of now is not good enough and they have been ordered to change.

most disturbing....the tab for the episode has to be picked up by Laois GAA, no change out of 2 grand or more I would imagine.

I have nil to do with Portlaoise, and from the tone of this thread most posters seem anti the town club. what I would point out is that Portlaoise GAA in fairness are entitled to protect their position...the bye law almost expects them to lose loads of players and not to gain any.....we all know deep down, that was the intention.

at a future date, we could easily see the demographic of an Irish town such as Portlaoise become similar to those of former industrial towns in places like Yorkshire and Lancashire........the immediate inner town mile radius or so becomes an immigrant ghetto and the locals are forced further and further out to the suburbs....remember the majority of these immigrants will not play GAA, it will in fact be a GAA wasteland.
this is slowly happening in a number of irish towns...in the case of portlaoise, a couple of miles out into the suburbs and as of now you are into park, heath, clonad, colt, ballyfin areas.

I cannot blame portlaoise gaa for taking measures to protect their future in the circumstances.

Don Draper

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on July 16, 2016, 12:42:01 AM
the BL's personal note is of zero relevance when majority rule dictates with DRA. The Laois Executive have been told what they have for by law as of now is not good enough and they have been ordered to change.

most disturbing....the tab for the episode has to be picked up by Laois GAA, no change out of 2 grand or more I would imagine.

I have nil to do with Portlaoise, and from the tone of this thread most posters seem anti the town club. what I would point out is that Portlaoise GAA in fairness are entitled to protect their position...the bye law almost expects them to lose loads of players and not to gain any.....we all know deep down, that was the intention.

at a future date, we could easily see the demographic of an Irish town such as Portlaoise become similar to those of former industrial towns in places like Yorkshire and Lancashire........the immediate inner town mile radius or so becomes an immigrant ghetto and the locals are forced further and further out to the suburbs....remember the majority of these immigrants will not play GAA, it will in fact be a GAA wasteland.
this is slowly happening in a number of irish towns...in the case of portlaoise, a couple of miles out into the suburbs and as of now you are into park, heath, clonad, colt, ballyfin areas.

I cannot blame portlaoise gaa for taking measures to protect their future in the circumstances.
You paint quite a post apocalyptic picture. Should we start eating the brains of the dead now? Or is this going to be just like The Wire where the entire Main Street will become a ghetto for the blacks to be shooting crack outside the courthouse?

burdizzo

Downtheroad

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 16, 2016, 12:38:15 AM
No, you read it right. The BL agreed with the Co. Board but the tribunal had to agree to the transfer because of the loophole and stated that the Co. Board should amend the transfer byelaws.

(The Tribunal further advises that the Laois County Board, through their county committee and convention and usual procedures, work to provide clarity or amend this aspect of their transfer byelaws. Pending that clarification/amendment, this DRA decision is not to be treated as a precedent and is distinguished to its facts.)
Tribunal didn't have to agree but it did on a majority of 2 to 1. If another Tribunal was set up it could have came up with a different result which shows you the Russian roulette nature of the legal process. I don't disagree with the outcome on technical grounds but Portlaoise have been somewhat disingenuous here as Portlaoise GAA club either came up or agreed with the original wording which was designed at the time to ensure that Portlaoise could avail of the parentage rule for players living outside the parish.