Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

If Newtownstewart stay up I assume this new amalgamation will stay in division 2? I remember when Clan na Gael formed they started life in division 3. Though maybe those clubs that joined were already in division 3? One for Fionntamhnach to answer maybe.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 28, 2019, 09:32:45 AM
Quote from: Degrassi Hi on October 28, 2019, 09:03:01 AM
What will happen in Division 2 if there are more than 2 clubs on 15 points after the last round of fixtures? More playoffs to make playoffs? Aghyaran guaranteed to be on 15 points anyway as Urney have packed up for the year after yesterday. Be interesting to see how the others on 13 fair out. We only have another fortnight to wait to find out!!

Probably. When three or more clubs are involved, score difference comes into play. However if any of the teams in question either conceded or were given a walkover in any league game then they must play-off for the final league position if it concerns relegation or promotion. So if Augher is among any of those whom finish on say 15pts on a three-way or bigger tie, then play-off matches will be required to determine who finishes sixth in the final league table for the promotion play-offs.

If you were to "freeze" the Division 2 table as it stands, Galbally would win the league, Loughmacrory would take automatic promotion, Pomeroy, Clogher & Owen Roes would enter the promotion play-offs, while there would be a five-way play-off for the final spot between Augher, Greencastle, Gortin, Aghyaran & Moortown due to Augher giving Owen Roes a w/o. This would involve three "rounds" of games, with the eventual winner meeting Pomeroy in the promotion play-offs, while Clogher & Owen Roes would face each other in the other game.

Talk about grim. 😧
I didn't think it went into a play off for a play off spot? I thought it went to Head to Head and point difference

clarshack

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 28, 2019, 09:35:15 AM
I didn't think it went into a play off for a play off spot? I thought it went to Head to Head and point difference

In an ideal world there wouldn't be playoffs to decide playoffs, but score difference can't be used if any games involving those teams have been conceded during the season.
Think there needs to be a big deterrent in the way of a huge fine for those teams that do concede games at Senior level.

Whatever the truth is about the Loughmacrory/Strabane game, there's something badly wrong when a team concedes a game even though they need points to stay out of the relegation zone.

GetOverTheBar

What will happen in Division 2 if there are more than 2 clubs on 15 points after the last round of fixtures? More playoffs to make playoffs? Aghyaran guaranteed to be on 15 points anyway as Urney have packed up for the year after yesterday. Be interesting to see how the others on 13 fair out. We only have another fortnight to wait to find out!!

Probably. When three or more clubs are involved, score difference comes into play. However if any of the teams in question either conceded or were given a walkover in any league game then they must play-off for the final league position if it concerns relegation or promotion. So if Augher is among any of those whom finish on say 15pts on a three-way or bigger tie, then play-off matches will be required to determine who finishes sixth in the final league table for the promotion play-offs.

If you were to "freeze" the Division 2 table as it stands, Galbally would win the league, Loughmacrory would take automatic promotion, Pomeroy, Clogher & Owen Roes would enter the promotion play-offs, while there would be a five-way play-off for the final spot between Augher, Greencastle, Gortin, Aghyaran & Moortown due to Augher giving Owen Roes a w/o. This would involve three "rounds" of games, with the eventual winner meeting Pomeroy in the promotion play-offs, while Clogher & Owen Roes would face each other in the other game.

Talk about grim. 😧

No playoffs for a playoff spot as I understand, only to decide a league title?

LeoMc

Talk about grim. 😧
Those are higher ranked criteria but with 5 teams you cant use Head to Head and with games being conceded you cant use point difference.

Onthe40

Is that Urney in junior?

Weren't they senior 2 years ago?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Onthe40 on October 28, 2019, 10:20:42 AM

Is that Urney in junior?

Back to back relegations. Urney are a great club, but they are stuggling badly with numbers as most clubs outside the big 5/6.

redhandofgod

Not back to back, Galbally, Pomeroy and Aghyaran relegated last year from Div 1.

TF15

Are Newtonstewart changing their name with the Dregish club coming on board?

GlenMan

Quote from: TF15 on October 28, 2019, 11:34:19 AM

Well officially it would be a new Club so would need a new name.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: GlenMan on October 28, 2019, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: TF15 on October 28, 2019, 11:34:19 AM

Well officially it would be a new Club so would need a new name.
How is the division decided?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: redhandofgod on October 28, 2019, 10:38:56 AM
Not back to back, Galbally, Pomeroy and Aghyaran relegated last year from Div 1.

You are correct! I read that somewhere last night on twitter and spat it out incorrectly.

A genuine question - how many current Dregish players start in the Newtonstewart team. Is there a chance this will be an instant success?

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 28, 2019, 11:53:51 AM
Quote from: redhandofgod on October 28, 2019, 10:38:56 AM

You are correct! I read that somewhere last night on twitter and spat it out incorrectly.

A genuine question - how many current Dregish players start in the Newtonstewart team. Is there a chance this will be an instant success?

I'd be surprised if it was many if at all any being honest. Their better players over the last few years have been their older players who seem to be just playing so that they field. I'd say with the new move that they'll pull the plug on playing. They have had the bare 15 for this season so NTS wouldn't be gaining many players. Where have their youth players been playing the past few years?

clarshack

Quote from: Onthe40 on October 28, 2019, 10:20:42 AM

Is that Urney in junior?

Seems to be common enough over the years for small clubs to make the breakthrough to Division 1 and then within 2/3 years they are playing Junior. Urney and Eskra are recent examples of this with Tattyreagh the next small club likely to end up this way too.

Jimbop

Tattyreagh still have a pretty young squad. They'll be in Division 2 for a good few years yet