Name your three favourite songs by... [Neil Young]

Started by AustinPowers, November 30, 2023, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 17, 2024, 11:37:33 AM
Quote from: Ronnie on April 17, 2024, 11:27:24 AMNeil Young doesn't seem too popular amongst our GAA boarders..

I think he's a bit 
of an acquired taste

Shall we have another?

Oasis, maybe?

Oasis wouldn't be awful

What about some category work - britpop, classic rock, grunge (moving more and more towards classic rock if the radio stations are anything to go by these days)?

Clapton, Sting and the Police are a couple heavy hitting artists as well

bennydorano

Saw the boul Neil in Slane, wasn't a big fan funny enough.

Harvest Moon
For what it's worth (Buffalo Springfield)
Heart of gold

thewobbler

I'd listen to Neil Young but not enough to qualify a top 3. I'd really want to be able to name at least 10 songs by an artist, before qualifying a top 3.

I think Clapton and Sting would fall into the same boat for most people. Not many people would get past the greatest hits side one album for either, I'd guess.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on April 17, 2024, 07:33:13 PMI'd listen to Neil Young but not enough to qualify a top 3. I'd really want to be able to name at least 10 songs by an artist, before qualifying a top 3.

I think Clapton and Sting would fall into the same boat for most people. Not many people would get past the greatest hits side one album for either, I'd guess.
Yes. I'd go for Queen or Prince before tackling Clapton or Sting. Phil Collins and Dire Straits incoming...

Puckoon

Fair on Sting. Clapton's catalogue is huge, arguably a bigger artist than Knoffler and the lads?

thewobbler

Quote from: Puckoon on April 17, 2024, 08:24:15 PMFair on Sting. Clapton's catalogue is huge, arguably a bigger artist than Knoffler and the lads?

Layla. Tears in Heaven. Wonderful Tonight. Cocaine.

Anyone from my age (46) down would have had to make a concerted effort for  Clapton beyond that.

For all of the plaudits he has gained (earned), his music just doesn't make it into mainstream.

Truthsayer

Same: Tears in Heaven, Wonderful Tonite... I like 'Why Aye Man'.. was tune for TV series Auf Wiedesen Pet (proby misspelt!) Really caught the migration to get work from Tyneside (same as Ireland)... 'economic refugees' and the carnage caused by Thatcher..
We had no way of staying afloat
We had to leave on the ferry boat
Economic refugees
On the run to Germany
We had the back of Maggie's hand
Times were tough in Geordie land...

AustinPowers

AustinPowers

Layla (unplugged)
Wonderful Tonight

I can't decide  on third. It's either:

- Lay Down Sally (Marcella Detroit and  Clapton's voice  sound great together)
- Tears in heaven
- I shot the sheriff (sentimental reasons)

Jell 0 Biafra

He did some good stuff with The Bluesbreakers, and with Cream.

His own stuff....nah....

Though there is this one classic he never set to music...

Surely got to be said, yeah, this is what all the f**king foreigners and wogs here are like, just disgusting, that's just the truth, yeah. So, where are you? Well, wherever you are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You f**king . . . I don't want you here, in this room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. f**king wogs, man.

Puckoon

Quote from: thewobbler on April 17, 2024, 08:38:03 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 17, 2024, 08:24:15 PMFair on Sting. Clapton's catalogue is huge, arguably a bigger artist than Knoffler and the lads?

Layla. Tears in Heaven. Wonderful Tonight. Cocaine.

Anyone from my age (46) down would have had to make a concerted effort for  Clapton beyond that.

For all of the plaudits he has gained (earned), his music just doesn't make it into mainstream.

Not going to argue, except to say you're a good poster for living within absolutes as it pertains to your statements. No room for discussion. His overall catalogue is intense, particularly including the groups he was part of. There's a solid 10 banger set out of Clapton easily.

JOB - Fair enough on his racist rant from 1976. Was absolutely horrible. That said I heard worse from my CCMS school teachers in the 80s, particularly if someone wanted a spiked haircut. Not sure if you were alive in those times and not sure if you've never uttered anything you wish you could walk back. Disgusting commentary from Clapton - but not something that the world wasn't hearing, at that time.

Was a shame he became such a conspiracy nut in his later years, but no doubting the mark the man made on music. Like Ted Nugent but with a million percent more talent and a million percent less bullshit.

thewobbler

Think you're picking me up wrong Puckoon.

This thread works best when it's about artists who have a body of work that achieved mainstream popularity.  Thats where discussion emanates from.

From the artists of his era and beyond, the likes of Elvis, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Elton John, AC/DC, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Michael Jackson, Metallica all find their way into everyone's life. 

The likes of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Neil Diamond, David Bowie always pick up enough new followers to ensure their exposure through the generations.

I don't believe Eric Clapton (similar to Neil Young) quite has this resonance in popular culture. You rarely find his music in popular culture, and you'll rarely have a "music mate" who is fascinated enough with him to force you through the initial curve.

This isn't denying his genius at all. But for whatever reason, you just don't hear Clapton on the radio. His songs aren't soundtracked onto movies or TV, or adverts. I don't know why. Maybe his day is still coming, like the Who and the CSI series.

But for now I would say any "top 3" discussion among general music lovers, on Clapton would be a short discussion.

Ronnie

Good post Wobbler but Layla & Wonderful Tonight are played regularly on some stations Absolute Classic Rock i think..... I'm not aware of his other songs entering the movie / popular culture arena etc but would suggest that he was one of the first artists who were'cancelled'.  I know that I've never even streamed a song of his due to that racist outburst.. i purpose we don't add him to the 3 favourite song list..

Taylor

I didnt even know he had a racist outburst - can still only name a few of his songs

Wonderful tonight
Layla
Tears in heaven (fine song but the reason for it being written is incredibly sad)