Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

http://www1.skysports.com/darts/news/12286/6606457/meet-the-darts-girls

Meet the Darts girls. An exclusive interview with Jess and Jess courtesy of Sky Sports.

AZOffaly

The walk on girls?? Are you saying that Rachel Wyse's role is comparable to the Darts girls? Lads, ye're losing the plot. Joe Brolly said that Sky's formula is basically a Baywatch Babe and a few analysts. Anyone looking at their presentation of Live sport will know that that is just not the case.

Joanne Cantwell and Máire Treasa Ní Dhubhghail on TG4 are comparable roles to what Rachel Wyse will be doing. Are they adhering to some 'formula' as well?

Croí na hÉireann

AZ, you're confusing what formula I'm referring to. The formula for a female presenter on Sky is blonde and attractive to red blooded males.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Used in Sky Sports News. Not used in any (maybe golf) live sports presenting. joe Brolly doesn't give a continental f**k about blondes on Sky Sports News. He was making a derogatory comment about Sky Sports coverage of GAA, and he made an arse of it. He was trying to insinuate that "this is how Sky do things, look at it, isn't it pathetic". My point is that he's talking through his hole when it comes to live sports coverage.

If he wanted to say that one of the reasons he dislikes Sky is because they parade young good looking women up and down Sky Sports News every day 24 hours a day, then he'd at least be accurate.

Your point seems to be that Sky Sports News use pretty women as a lowest common denominator approach to satisfy their male viewership. You may well be right, you need some hook to keep lads watching a poxy yellow ticker tape 24/7. But my point is that that fact is irrelevant to the discussion about their coverage of live sports, in my view.

But anyway, as other lads have said, this back and forth is ridiculous, and not worth taking too seriously. They are right.

sheamy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 12:14:20 PM
The walk on girls?? Are you saying that Rachel Wyse's role is comparable to the Darts girls? Lads, ye're losing the plot. Joe Brolly said that Sky's formula is basically a Baywatch Babe and a few analysts. Anyone looking at their presentation of Live sport will know that that is just not the case.

Joanne Cantwell and Máire Treasa Ní Dhubhghail on TG4 are comparable roles to what Rachel Wyse will be doing. Are they adhering to some 'formula' as well?

Erm, no. Relax.

Those TG4 weather girls... Unreal.

Mairead Ni Chuaig.

easytiger95

Ah "relax"- classic trollism. Well played.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 12:18:41 PM
Used in Sky Sports News. Not used in any (maybe golf) live sports presenting. joe Brolly doesn't give a continental f**k about blondes on Sky Sports News. He was making a derogatory comment about Sky Sports coverage of GAA, and he made an arse of it. He was trying to insinuate that "this is how Sky do things, look at it, isn't it pathetic". My point is that he's talking through his hole when it comes to live sports coverage.

If he wanted to say that one of the reasons he dislikes Sky is because they parade young good looking women up and down Sky Sports News every day 24 hours a day, then he'd at least be accurate.

Your point seems to be that Sky Sports News use pretty women as a lowest common denominator approach to satisfy their male viewership. You may well be right, you need some hook to keep lads watching a poxy yellow ticker tape 24/7. But my point is that that fact is irrelevant to the discussion about their coverage of live sports, in my view.

But anyway, as other lads have said, this back and forth is ridiculous, and not worth taking too seriously. They are right.

Is there women on Sky that don't meet the above formula? Honest question.

magpie seanie

On the rare occasions RTE have camogie or ladies football analysts I'm sure their looks never came into the criteria used to choose them.....

moysider

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 12:24:41 PM

Christ I should hope not! God forbid!!

AZOffaly

OK. Now I get what you're saying. That is different to what Brolly is saying.

Brolly says their formula is to have a baywatch babe presenting, this is not true.

Your point is that if there *IS* a woman presenting or within camera shot of a Sky Sports camera, she has to be a babe. Now that I haven't checked, but at least I could accept that that is more likely. Again though, as others have said, are there many women on TV who do not fall into that category? Certainly the women on RTE and TG4 I mentioned before wouldn't look out of place on Sky Sports. That seems to be an industry approach rather than a Sky Sports 'Exclusive' :D

BennyCake

So Joe is forced to say sorry like a 4 year old would in school. He's right and everyone knows he's right. Can we expect a phony Tiger Woods-type apology now?

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyCake on May 22, 2014, 01:07:17 PM
So Joe is forced to say sorry like a 4 year old would in school. He's right and everyone knows he's right. Can we expect a phony Tiger Woods-type apology now?
[/quote

When he loses an argument to Parkinson (not even Michael but Colm) he can hardly be classed as right.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 12:35:42 PM

OK. Now I get what you're saying. That is different to what Brolly is saying.

Brolly says their formula is to have a baywatch babe presenting, this is not true.

Your point is that if there *IS* a woman presenting or within camera shot of a Sky Sports camera, she has to be a babe. Now that I haven't checked, but at least I could accept that that is more likely. Again though, as others have said, are there many women on TV who do not fall into that category? Certainly the women on RTE and TG4 I mentioned before wouldn't look out of place on Sky Sports. That seems to be an industry approach rather than a Sky Sports 'Exclusive' :D

Jesus, I should hope it is different to what was Brolly was saying. Sky take it to extremes though, like I said, I could never imagine Clare Balding starting off her career there.

sheamy

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 22, 2014, 12:21:59 PM
Ah "relax"- classic trollism. Well played.

I apologise for using the word relax. It was crass, offensive and will not happen again.

tyroneman

I really couldn't give a fcuk if the presenter is male or female, good looking or not as long as they can anchor the show professionally, show some level of GAA knowledge and are prepared to let the pundits talk on the detail of the games.

Bill o'H should be the role model. Know enough to keep the conversations going and be able to provoke a good debate when necessary.

My big fear is that this is reduced to GAA for beginners. That's not what was being sold to the rank and file.