Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

It's defintiely that an ordinary club player can't be expected to make the jump up to inter-county in a few weeks, the gap is too big in terms of physicality, speed and plain old fitness. The only difference in this situation is that some of the names mentioned have been on development panels and have certainly been on the same weights programmes as the first squad to beef up over the winter. Tom Parsons and David Kicullen have been doing inter-county training all year, whether for the U-21s or the development panel. Barry Kelly woud be in a simlar position and would be capable of the step up. I know very little about the 2 Claremorris lads, have they been involved in the county panel in any shape or form all year? if not, it could be a step too far for them at this stage of the year, same would probably apply to J O'Malley.

prewtna

ya im thinking it does smack of desperation. bar the lads who have already been on the panel and development squad its too late for the rest. unless the club player in question is exceptionally talented, driven and determined i couldnt see how the step-up could be made in mid summer. nigh on impossible me thinks. itll probablky take a couple of years for the weights to kick in with the younger lads but the drive and passion missing in salthill, well thats attitude and im no psycologist so i dunno how that would be got back, but if it is then it can make up for a lack in physical strength.

however if you have 2-3 years good weight training under your belt,  you would probably have more confidence to throw yourself into 50-50 situations and maybe with that confidence could come agression ala the dubs and meath the last day.

see d brady has considerably beefed up these days and he seems more aggressive for the last couple of years then previous years. many of the lads could follow his example.

well that a totally incoherent post, sorry about that!

mannix

On the contrary my good man, you make some very astute points regarding weight training.I started afew years ago and definetly am much stronger than lads bigger than me.I beat my toughman brother inlaw arm wrestling recently much to the shock of the family who were expecting him to kill me.
Its nice to know weights do real;ly make a big difference.In a game i am never afraid of a tackle now, if only I was able to kick points I would be a star!!!

prewtna

Quote from: mannix on June 06, 2007, 09:43:50 AM
On the contrary my good man, you make some very astute points regarding weight training.I started afew years ago and definetly am much stronger than lads bigger than me.I beat my toughman brother inlaw arm wrestling recently much to the shock of the family who were expecting him to kill me.
Its nice to know weights do real;ly make a big difference.In a game i am never afraid of a tackle now, if only I was able to kick points I would be a star!!!

ya i used to moan about the inter-county lads kicking wides then realised i couldnt do it myself. it took me a few years tho! now i say nothin!

rosnarun

I know Mcnamara was on the Junior team . what kkind of training do they do is it a turn up on the day job or somthing more serious . hard to believe some of the ex county guys Connelly's ruddy or carolan giving  an awful lot to what is a low level of football. Mcnamara looks to have the Physical strenght but does he have the football . a nice soft qualifier may give him the chance But i bet we draw Armagh or dublin
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

westmayo

Don't think the Junior team do much training, probably only a few run outs on Saturday's and a few challenge games. In the papers before the Connacht Final and Semi Final. Billy Fitzpatrick was saying that it was hard to get the lads together for training and challenge games due to club commitments at the weeknds and for training mid week with their clubs, which are obviously their priorities.
What is the criteria to play for the Junior team,

StoneWall

Much too late to bring in a player and expect him to get up to speed of intercounty at this stage of the season. For one thing he would probably end up having a nightmare and it would shatter his confidence.

The future in regards to midfield lies in Tom Parsons, Barry Moran and Seamus O'Shea. Nothing against McNamara but having seen him play a few times I don't think he has what it takes at senior inter-county.

The juniors train in an adhoc nature, Billy Fitz said so in a recent interview. Mainly due to lads working away etc.

Criteria for the Mayo junior team are not having played senior club championship this year or last year. Also if you played senior inter-county championship this year or last you're ineligible.
All the other counties in Connacht (Ros, Sligo and Leitrim. Galway doesn't enter a team) can play senior club players provided they haven't played senior inter-county championship this year or last year. Some counties are designated as stronger (Mayo, Cork, Kerry etc.) for junior purposes and can't use their senior club players.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: StoneWall on June 06, 2007, 11:33:35 AM
Much too late to bring in a player and expect him to get up to speed of intercounty at this stage of the season. For one thing he would probably end up having a nightmare and it would shatter his confidence.

The future in regards to midfield lies in Tom Parsons, Barry Moran and Seamus O'Shea. Nothing against McNamara but having seen him play a few times I don't think he has what it takes at senior inter-county.

The juniors train in an adhoc nature, Billy Fitz said so in a recent interview. Mainly due to lads working away etc.

Criteria for the Mayo junior team are not having played senior club championship this year or last year. Also if you played senior inter-county championship this year or last you're ineligible.
All the other counties in Connacht (Ros, Sligo and Leitrim. Galway doesn't enter a team) can play senior club players provided they haven't played senior inter-county championship this year or last year. Some counties are designated as stronger (Mayo, Cork, Kerry etc.) for junior purposes and can't use their senior club players.
I dont understand why there arent more 20-21-22 year olds who arent on the senior panel on it, why it isnt used as more of a stepping stone onto senior. do we have an intermediate team? The last day against Sligo it was like a Mayo B team with a good few ex senior inter county players on it.

Redgreenery

Anyone hear the result of the Roscommon v Mayo match in the Minor Championship??

highking

Your a bit premature looking for that result Red. Game not on til the 23rd June til after the leaving is over. Dont hold your breath now......

Redgreenery

You sure because I heard it was on yesterday.

highking

Its up on Aertel prematurely also.... Its on 23rd June in the Hyde at 6.30 (I think thats the time). ... You should know that no Minor Championship games are played during the Leaving Cert and never have been for ages (except in the north sometimes)... When did you start following GAA????

Roscommon are coming off the back of two round-robin games while Mayo havent had competitive action since early April. Mayo beat Ross fairly handy in the league in Ballinlough but youd never know with Minors. Remember Ross are reigning AI Champions even though they only have three or four left over from last season.

Theres no back door from the semi final so it could be a short Championship campaign for Ray Dempsey if things dont go well.

Barney

Certainly the minor clash will be an interesting one. Mayo seem to have a good backroom team, but whether they have the players is another question. Winning the league was a good start, but the fact that Ros have had two games is an advantage, although they were some time ago.

What about the senior lads? Any word of any challenges? I'm sure they will play at least one before the next game.

Starting XV for the next day anyone?

Barney

How about the following

Clarke

Higgins          Kilcullen              Higgins

Devenney     Heaney               Howley

Moran          Brady

Dillon           Trevor                Kilcoyne

Campbell      Mortimer             Moran

Gardiner or O'Neill will start though since we need a captain!

stephenite

Wouldn't be gone on playing Campbell in the corner to be honest Barney