The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: longballin on April 27, 2018, 11:00:32 PM
Speaker for No camp not convincing at all.

Avoiding giving a straight answer all night.

The Boy Wonder

Dr Peter Boylan (Yes Advocate) :  "If you vote NO you are voting against legal abortion and are therefore voting for illegal abortion".

What nonsense.

longballin

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on April 27, 2018, 11:46:55 PM
Dr Peter Boylan (Yes Advocate) :  "If you vote NO you are voting against legal abortion and are therefore voting for illegal abortion".

What nonsense.

Not nonsense at all but maybe you are more enlightened than Dr Boylan the Chair of the Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. As he explained thousands of abortions taking place dangerously and illegally using pills in Ireland and with a Yes vote this would be medically regulated. The 'NO' side was not convincing at all but case of that woman from the West who had to go to England certainly was a reason to vote Yes.

sid waddell

What nonsense.
He's 100% correct.

He's a former Master of the National Maternity Hospital with over 40 years experience as an obstetrician. You're a blowhard on an internet forum.

Abortion is happening in Ireland and will continue to happen whether you like it or not.

The only sensible thing is to make it safe and legal rather than put extremely vulnerable women in danger.

longballin

Quote from: sid waddell on April 28, 2018, 12:08:22 AM

What nonsense.
He's 100% correct.

He's a former Master of the National Maternity Hospital with over 40 years experience as an obstetrician. You're a blowhard on an internet forum.

Abortion is happening in Ireland and will continue to happen whether you like it or not.

The only sensible thing is to make it safe and legal rather than put extremely vulnerable women in danger.

100% Sid

Tubberman

What nonsense.
He's 100% correct.

If the correct question was being asked, I'd vote yes.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

omaghjoe

What nonsense.
He's 100% correct.

He is 100% correct but the same argument can be made for any law, whether it be drug use, murder, tax evasion, or parking violatations.

Medical doctors are experts on medicine not law btw so he is no better placed to give an opinion on the legal side of the argument than  than any other layman.

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: longballin on April 28, 2018, 12:09:21 AM

What nonsense.
He's 100% correct.

100% Sid

I have great respect for Dr Boylan (he was my wife's gynaecologist in Holles Street when our children were born) but I disagree with his views on abortion.

I don't agree with the argument that because abortion is widely available across Europe it should therefore be available in Ireland.
I don't agree that abortion should be legalised because it is possible to purchase abortion pills online.

Eminent medical people have conceded that the 8th Amendment has not prevented the best treatment being provided to women in cases where their lives were in danger (I do agree that this did not happen in the Savita case but this was a case of medical negligence).

Removing the 8th Amendment will mean that there is no protection for the unborn between conception and 12 weeks (this could be extended in the future by Dail vote). It will open the doors to abortion on demand and will normalise abortion in this society. Of course people will argue that this has already happened as women travel to the UK and purchase abortion pills on line but in my opinion this arguement does not validate abortion on demand.

PS
Your calling me a "blowhard on an internet forum" says more about you that about me but I will not bother posting any more on this topic in the face of such abuse.

The Boy Wonder

Just to clarify....the above post was in response to Sid Waddell.

The same Sid was responsible for this post on the main forum:
"I'd imagine there will be a couple of reasonable people to whom facts are important and who have thought through the issues in a calm and considered manner on the Yes side, and a couple of backward, shouting, lying ignoramuses to whom facts are irrelevant on the No side".

sid waddell

Savita Halappanavar died because she couldn't have an abortion.

That is the sort of situation you want to allow happen again.

It is an utterly shameful reflection on Ireland that pregnant women cannot access treatment to protect their health in this country.

Think about that.

There is no situation in which I, as a man, cannot access treatment to protect my health if I need to.

Women do not have that right according to our constitution.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: sid waddell on April 28, 2018, 11:08:38 AM
It's great the way a tragic case of medical malpractice has been cynically used by pro-abortion activists to open the door for abortion on demand.
There's a world of difference between Savita and a Sharon who got a drunk and pregnant by a Spanish sailor.

trileacman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on April 28, 2018, 12:04:24 PM
It's great the way a tragic case of medical malpractice has been cynically used by pro-abortion activists to open the door for abortion on demand.
There's a world of difference between Savita and a Sharon who got a drunk and pregnant by a Spanish sailor.

Exactly. There's this strange attenpt at equivalence when it comes to abortion. Rape, incest and threat to mother all seem to be peddled our when people are trying to support abortion on demand. If that was all the yes campaign want to achieve why is not reflected in the proposed legislation?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Denn Forever

I'm a man. I'll never get pregnant.  I wonder what the out come would be if only women could vote?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 28, 2018, 12:42:19 PM
I'm a man. I'll never get pregnant.  I wonder what the out come would be if only women could vote?

That is one of the reasons why I'm considering not voting to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

That is the sort of situation you want to allow happen again.

It is an utterly shameful reflection on Ireland that pregnant women cannot access treatment to protect their health in this country.

Think about that.

There is no situation in which I, as a man, cannot access treatment to protect my health if I need to.

Women do not have that right according to our constitution.
Under the status quo the rights of adult women are subordinated to the rights of a foetus.
For men the only equivalent would be if a cancer tumour was recognised by the law.
Far too many died when they didn't have to.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU