Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Mayo lads,

I'm attaching a few files on the following posts, with the results in the Mayo SFC and IFC in full since 1984, and some of them back to 1976. Might be of interest to some of you.

(Original files removed - amended ones below)

Owenmoresider

I see the above may have been corrupted en route - have had this problem before. Will amend shortly to see if it sorts them out.

Owenmoresider

Right here goes again:

Owenmoresider

The c'ships before Ballina and Cross took over - instead it's Knockmore, Hollymount and Garrymore in control:

Owenmoresider

Now the Intermediate side of things:

Owenmoresider

And the earlier Intermediate c'ships:

These should all work now. May have something on Junior in time, but that is a complicated and messy setup, so it'll be for another day.

ludermor

Fair play OMS where did you get all this info?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: ludermor on April 28, 2008, 08:26:04 PM
Fair play OMS where did you get all this info?
A combination of keeping it updated for the last 2/3 years, trawling through the Western archives online and occasional forays to Castlebar to view the older versions. The pre-84 stuff is from the Telegraph's archives online, and are fairly imcomplete. At least that's one thing with Mayo - you have three sources, with the Mayo News also (and that would help with western info), whereas here the Champion was the only show in town (literally in the town), til the Weekender got its act together around the late 90's. Had done this already for Sligo, but it's a much further-back effort that one though.

Out of interest, which club is yours? I'm thinking Kiltane, but I may be wrong. There's a few here between the Erris clubs anyway. Or the numerous Cross reps now that I think of it?

ludermor

Yep its kiltane, good looking back on some of the near breakthroughs we had

Owenmoresider

Yeah ye went close a few times, shame when a hitherto-unsuccessful team is going strong for a few years but can't get over the line. Coolera were like that here, until they got over the line in 2005. And Easkey were very much like that in the 90's, won leagues, got to the '99 final and many semis, but couldn't land Owen B. But ye were up against some good teams in that though. Remarkable to think that 20-25 years ago ye had Lacken, Belmullet and Davitts playing in finals, and Aghamore were hovering there for a while too.

ludermor

yeah 89 was prob the closest and would have been a very good team. we had a couple of lads off the 85 minor all ireland team as well as other big strong footballers. A big change to now when we have a few nice little footballers but feck all strong lads and the few we do have are nearly all gone this year for various reasons. But hope spring eternal. Its mad seeing belmullet senior in 87 but havent made the grade back up yet. And they would have been winning underage A championships on a regular basis in that time with a very big pick for a rural club ( 2 feckin parishes!)

Owenmoresider

Quote from: ludermor on April 28, 2008, 10:34:00 PM
yeah 89 was prob the closest and would have been a very good team. we had a couple of lads off the 85 minor all ireland team as well as other big strong footballers. A big change to now when we have a few nice little footballers but feck all strong lads and the few we do have are nearly all gone this year for various reasons. But hope spring eternal. Its mad seeing belmullet senior in 87 but havent made the grade back up yet. And they would have been winning underage A championships on a regular basis in that time with a very big pick for a rural club ( 2 feckin parishes!)
20 years is a while alright, but they did fall away a fair bit it seems, Junior for a while too. Does seem that the Intermediate can be hard to get out of, whereas here a senior team who aren't a shambles (take a bow St. Molaise Gaels) can get back up almost instantly, or just not get relegated at all, like others one could mention ::). Ballintubber were trying for a good while, Mitchels needed 2-3 goes, and the likes of Davitts do well in league but can't crack the c'ship. Then you have the likes of Hollymount who were top of the tree, but now in decline and stuck there for a while it would appear. Forgot to mention that Balla went from Senior finalists in 93 to Junior in a decade, and are still there, some fall. And Charlestown did the Junior circuit in 1988, but got back on track after that.

RedandGreenSniper

Great records OMS - fair play to ya. Some great reading in there.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

I remember that 97 semi final against cross, probably the best match i've ever seen in terms of excitement
And teh beating we took out in knockmore in 95
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

were kiltane declared champions for a while in 1995 before cross were allowed  to beat garrymore(always a pleasure) fot the second time in 1995 over the PJ loftus affair? and went on to play corofinb in the connaght club championship . or ami putting 2 different events together
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere