Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 04, 2018, 01:03:56 PM
Think Monaghan might just get the better of Tyrone in Omagh I think it will suit them better than Clones!
5/2 is a nice price.
You wouldn't know which Tyrone would turn up.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on April 09, 2018, 10:59:03 AM
Think Monaghan might just get the better of Tyrone in Omagh I think it will suit them better than Clones!
5/2 is a nice price.

Tyrone have been fairly consistent against these sort of middling teams over the past two years or so in the championship. It's the big teams we struggle with, so I'd be fairly confident again. It's all about the super 8 this year though and peaking in August is the key so you never know.
That was never a square ball!!

Orchard park

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 09, 2018, 11:15:56 AM
5/2 is a nice price.

Tyrone have been fairly consistent against these sort of middling teams over the past two years or so in the championship. It's the big teams we struggle with, so I'd be fairly confident again. It's all about the super 8 this year though and peaking in August is the key so you never know.

thats a fair smug look at things. Monaghan, regular quarter finalists, a consistent D1 team , Ulster champs in 2013 and 2015 under Malachy O'Rourke are only a middling team

seafoid

I think it will come down to how Monaghan think about Tyrone. Last year they would have thought Tyrone were better than them. And now?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Orchard park on April 09, 2018, 12:23:46 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 09, 2018, 11:15:56 AM
5/2 is a nice price.

thats a fair smug look at things. Monaghan, regular quarter finalists, a consistent D1 team , Ulster champs in 2013 and 2015 under Malachy O'Rourke are only a middling team

Who beat that great Monaghan team of 2013 and 2015 in the AIQF? Could they really even claim to be even the best team in Ulster in those years? Like I said, we are fairly consistent at this level in recent years, but the super 8 brings a different dynamic.

Captain Obvious

Monaghan have been Div one side for the last four years in a row and have more than held their own there. Two provincal titles won in the last five years and four All Ireland quarter final appearances in the last five years is far from middling especially for a county with population of just 61,273.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 09, 2018, 06:03:52 PM
Monaghan have been Div one side for the last four years in a row and have more than held their own there. Two provincal titles won in the last five years and four All Ireland quarter final appearances in the last five years is far from middling especially for a county with population of just 61,273.

Their population size is irrelevant. In those quarter finals you mention if my memory serves me correctly  Monaghan were tanked twice by Dublin and beaten twice by Tyrone, a team which themselves, consistently fails to beat the top teams. Throw in a championship defeat to Longford and it's hard to make a case for them being anything other than middling. I genuinely didn't think I was being controversial calling them that, I was just making the point that Tyrone have generally (but not always) done pretty well against teams from that bracket.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 09, 2018, 07:06:01 PM

Their population size is irrelevant. In those quarter finals you mention if my memory serves me correctly  Monaghan were tanked twice by Dublin and beaten twice by Tyrone, a team which themselves, consistently fails to beat the top teams. Throw in a championship defeat to Longford and it's hard to make a case for them being anything other than middling. I genuinely didn't think I was being controversial calling them that, I was just making the point that Tyrone have generally (but not always) done pretty well against teams from that bracket.
Tyrone are middling as well.

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on April 09, 2018, 07:24:55 PM

Tyrone are middling as well.

I didn't say we weren't.

Captain Obvious

Population is relevant in my view especially one as small as Monaghans and I don't believe Monaghan would be where they are but for their good manager. I have already made a strong case against that view of yours to be middling team and if they beat Tyrone on May 20th they will go on to win Ulster if not they will reach the last 8 of the championship again IMO. Something most if not all middling teams would not do.

Main Street

I see the Tyronies are finding a second wind of bluster to follow on from a more tentative opening, the Tyronie just cannot cannot mask the dour humourless nature for very long. It just takes someone to say they are going to lose, to rattle their can.

Banty's Back!! with the minors this time, hammering Tyrone for fun in Inniskeen over the weekend (only 6 red cards though).
Ominous for Tyrone.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Main Street on April 09, 2018, 10:26:05 PM
I see the Tyronies are finding a second wind of bluster to follow on from a more tentative opening, the Tyronie just cannot cannot mask the dour humourless nature for very long. It just takes someone to say they are going to lose, to rattle their can.

Banty's Back!! with the minors this time, hammering Tyrone for fun in Inniskeen over the weekend (only 6 red cards though).
Ominous for Tyrone.

Banty was desperate for that Job heard he was the last resort...Wanted Laois job this year made that known as well!
LAOIS ABÚ

the goal was on

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

Fuzzman

County     Titles  Years
Monaghan   16   1888, 1906, 1914, 1916, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1927, 1929, 1930, 1938, 1979, 1985, 1988, 2013, 2015

Tyrone   15   1956, 1957, 1973, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2016, 2017

2014 was the last time Monaghan beat Tyrone in the Ulster championship in Clones but as far as I can remember you have to go away back to 1988 for the time before that when Monaghan beat Tyrone in an Ulster final.

Unlike teams in Leinster, Monaghan have always put up a good fight against their "big boy" neighbours and certainly aren't scared to turn it into a tough aggressive battle but more often that not Tyrone always end up swatting them away and were delighted to be drawn against them in Croker in recent years.
Monaghan followers will believe this year is different though as they've a few more attacking options and not just reliant on CmM.

Still, I always think Tyrone struggle in first championship games in Omagh although the last time we played a first round championship match there we beat Monaghan.

5 June 2011 3:30pm Quarter Final
Tyrone   1-13 - 1-11   Monaghan
B McGuigan 1-1, S Cavanagh 0-4 (0-2f), S O'Neill 0-3, M Penrose (2f), P Harte (1f, 1 '45) 0-2 each, O Mulligan 0-1   Report   C McManus 0-6 (5f), D Hughes 1-1 (1-0 pen), P Finlay 0-4 (3f).
Healy Park, Omagh
Attendance: 10,937

As a few said though, Tyrone have learned from previous years not to give these "smaller" teams a foothold in the game but treat them with respect as you would any of the top 3.

Will there be anyone on here travelling up from Dublin to the game? PM me.