Documentaries

Started by 5 Sams, July 14, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

I have it recorded, is there anything new in it ? That wasn't in Lethal Allies book ?

I know a lot of it will be new to our southern friends

Taylor

Quote from: gallsman on September 17, 2020, 06:10:15 AM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 16, 2020, 11:49:57 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 16, 2020, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 16, 2020, 11:33:17 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 16, 2020, 11:23:41 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 16, 2020, 11:16:25 PM
This shows, what we in the north have known for many years, that you can't trust the British Government. Something the south has found out this week regarding the Brexit withdrawal treaty. But some here will find a way to blame Sinn Fein for all of it.
It's possible to recognise that the north was and to an extent still remains a cold house for Catholics, that the RUC and the British Army engaged in appalling acts, that British governments were and currently are untrustworthy, to recognise why people would have felt the desire to join the IRA, and to recognise that the IRA also committed appalling acts

It's not an either/or

Who else was there to defend the catholics in the north if not the I.R.A.?

Sinn Fein have recognised that the I.R.A. carried out some unacceptable acts during the troubles and have apologised for them. So why are S.F. not acceptable in the republics Government.
Nobody - but the IRA committed many appalling acts which cannot be defended and which caused as much hurt to the families of the victims as the appalling acts of the Brits did to the families of their victims

You ignorant tool. Were the murders of catholics which the British government, the British military, the RUC and the UDR colluded with loyalist terrorists not appalling?

Read his post again ffs and stop flying off the handle.

Cant believe I am saying this..................leave Sid alone.

He is in the right on this one

bannside

The assertion was that many hawks in the RUC/UDR wanted to escalate violence and indiscrimate sectarian killing in order to bring matters to a point of civil war. The UVF decided that shooting up a school in Beleek was a bridge to far, and I never rhought Id say it, but fair play to the person or persons at that meeting who influenced that outcome!

Things were bad, very bad, but had that event been sanctioned the troubles would have got ten times worse. Every moderate on both sides would have stepped up to get involved.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 17, 2020, 08:06:13 AM
I have it recorded, is there anything new in it ? That wasn't in Lethal Allies book ?

I have it recorded too. I'll watch it asap. Probably the stories from the families will be new to me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on September 17, 2020, 08:10:06 AM
Quote from: gallsman on September 17, 2020, 06:10:15 AM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 16, 2020, 11:49:57 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 16, 2020, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 16, 2020, 11:33:17 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 16, 2020, 11:23:41 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 16, 2020, 11:16:25 PM
This shows, what we in the north have known for many years, that you can't trust the British Government. Something the south has found out this week regarding the Brexit withdrawal treaty. But some here will find a way to blame Sinn Fein for all of it.
It's possible to recognise that the north was and to an extent still remains a cold house for Catholics, that the RUC and the British Army engaged in appalling acts, that British governments were and currently are untrustworthy, to recognise why people would have felt the desire to join the IRA, and to recognise that the IRA also committed appalling acts

It's not an either/or

Who else was there to defend the catholics in the north if not the I.R.A.?

Sinn Fein have recognised that the I.R.A. carried out some unacceptable acts during the troubles and have apologised for them. So why are S.F. not acceptable in the republics Government.
Nobody - but the IRA committed many appalling acts which cannot be defended and which caused as much hurt to the families of the victims as the appalling acts of the Brits did to the families of their victims

You ignorant tool. Were the murders of catholics which the British government, the British military, the RUC and the UDR colluded with loyalist terrorists not appalling?

Read his post again ffs and stop flying off the handle.

Cant believe I am saying this..................leave Sid alone.

He is in the right on this one

He is but he could have expanded on the options open to the nationalist community when they were denied rights to housing, employment and the naked sectarianism shown to them by the authorities of the state they lived in?

The narrative that the IRA were bad and the security forces good is now being openly challenged and it's those questioning this narrative as rewriting history.
Time the ruling Unionists and British acknowledged their part in this mess.

johnnycool

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 17, 2020, 08:06:13 AM

When will it be on the RTE player?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 16, 2020, 11:25:13 PM
Tbh, most people in the South wouldn't be aware of half the sh*t that went on, it's unbelievable stuff

This is sadly true.

Harold Disgracey

Growing up in Portadown none of this is new to me, and it continued into the 90s with Billy Wright and his crew. Watching the families, a lot of them I know very well, brings it home as to how easily it could have been me standing in their place. I suppose we were lucky enough only to be put out of our house in what is now a loyalist area in 1972.

Rossfan

Have it recorded but I have been well aware of the Glenanne gang and RUC/UDR/UVFetc collusion.
Hearing families of victims will be interesting as their stories of living with the aftermath have seldom come to the fore.
Some claim Nairac was involved in directing a lot of it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rossfan on September 17, 2020, 09:30:32 AM
Have it recorded but I have been well aware of the Glenanne gang and RUC/UDR/UVFetc collusion.
Hearing families of victims will be interesting as their stories of living with the aftermath have seldom come to the fire.
Some claim Nairac was involved in directing a lot of it.

You could nearly make a film about Nairac, he was an interesting character to say the least. People like this roamed free to create anarchy. Anyone not familiar with this name, he basically encompasses the troubles in the North.

Itchy

I knew all about what was on the TV last night but it is still shocking to see it again and the extent to which these bastards operated their murder gangs. I am glad it was on TV but I wont be giving any big congratulations to RTE who sat on this for years when it should have been released. Likewise, the southern media will ignore it anyway as they are nothing but a pack of west brits. Hopefully some of the Southern Dumbos will now see what was going on in the 6 counties for the duration of the troubles.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on September 17, 2020, 09:22:34 AM
Growing up in Portadown none of this is new to me, and it continued into the 90s with Billy Wright and his crew. Watching the families, a lot of them I know very well, brings it home as to how easily it could have been me standing in their place. I suppose we were lucky enough only to be put out of our house in what is now a loyalist area in 1972.

It's ridiculous to think that probably was true, although i'm sure it didn't feel lucky at the time. 

I thought it was interesting to see the parallels with "The Empire's" former colonies - how the army (and powers above) bred policing units to suppress and murder the locals who posed any opposition.

The fact is that collusion was long dismissed in many quarters, both north and south, as nonsensical - when the victims and those close knew exactly what was happening wasn't any coincidence.

I would say Drew Harris is no stranger to what went on, and was also part of the appeal against the families enquiry.

johnnycool

Quote from: Itchy on September 17, 2020, 09:55:20 AM
I knew all about what was on the TV last night but it is still shocking to see it again and the extent to which these bastards operated their murder gangs. I am glad it was on TV but I wont be giving any big congratulations to RTE who sat on this for years when it should have been released. Likewise, the southern media will ignore it anyway as they are nothing but a pack of west brits. Hopefully some of the Southern Dumbos will now see what was going on in the 6 counties for the duration of the troubles.

I'd read McPhelimy's book, The Committee way years ago and whilst some aspects of it involving leading business men, bank officials and politicians are still debatable, he had plenty in it about the way Robin Jackson and then Billy Wright and how they operated with impunity in the Portadown, Craigavon, Lurgan area and further afield.

need to hoke it out again.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Anyone else think it odd that in the wake of this overdue documentary most social media mentions are rounding on the south rather than on the perpetrators?

Taylor

Quote from: JohnDenver on September 17, 2020, 09:59:25 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on September 17, 2020, 09:22:34 AM

It's ridiculous to think that probably was true, although i'm sure it didn't feel lucky at the time. 

I thought it was interesting to see the parallels with "The Empire's" former colonies - how the army (and powers above) bred policing units to suppress and murder the locals who posed any opposition.

The fact is that collusion was long dismissed in many quarters, both north and south, as nonsensical - when the victims and those close knew exactly what was happening wasn't any coincidence.

I would say Drew Harris is no stranger to what went on, and was also part of the appeal against the families enquiry.

He was indeed.

And look where he is now.

That speaks volumes about the ignorance/lack of awareness of some parties.