Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on February 12, 2023, 08:20:35 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 12, 2023, 08:03:54 PM
It was strange that they went with Round robin in the Munster championship. It was always regarded as the ultimate championship to win.  It's too long now and not the same bite

The thing about the round robins is a couole of big teams will not get through to the knock out stages.  That's why the round robins are cut throat. A couple of years ago, Dublin, I think lost out on points difference.

I think the Joe Mc Donagh winners getting into the knock out stages is fair enough (to help them progress etc.) but to see the beaten finalists get in also at the expense of a 'bigger' team is madness to me.

That's why the league is not as important.

The round robins come straight after the league.  Teams really need another weeks break, maybe two weeks even.
Munster is far more cutthroat than Leinster where the Dubs are not very consistent.

clonadmad

It was strange that they went with Round robin in the Munster championship. It was always regarded as the ultimate championship to win.  It's too long now and not the same bite

Highest attendance of all provincial championships in either code

5 closely  matched teams most years since the round robin came in

No bite in it ?

Jesus wept

rodney trotter

Quote from: clonadmad on February 12, 2023, 09:08:53 PM

No bite in it ?

Jesus wept

Waterford were a shambles last year in Munster. They came off a great league campaign, so  yes they were lacking the same bite.
Peaked too soon or whatever it was

Tipperary were very poor too.

clonadmad

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 12, 2023, 09:15:30 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on February 12, 2023, 09:08:53 PM

No bite in it ?

Jesus wept

Waterford were a shambles last year in Munster. They came off a great league campaign, so  yes they were lacking the same bite.
Peaked too soon or whatever it was

Tipperary were very poor too.

If every provincial championship had as much bite as the Munster hurling championship,the GAA competitions would be in a great place

Your not seriously suggesting it goes back to a county getting knocked out after losing 1 game ?

seafoid

Tipp can be either sublime or ridiculous

imtommygunn

They weren't going out after one game though. Getting beat effectively put them in the back door as per the football. I also think the Munster championship isn't what it was. Part of that is teams sick of getting beat by Limerick mind you.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2023, 08:33:47 PM
Quote from: marty34 on February 12, 2023, 08:20:35 PM

The thing about the round robins is a couole of big teams will not get through to the knock out stages.  That's why the round robins are cut throat. A couple of years ago, Dublin, I think lost out on points difference.

I think the Joe Mc Donagh winners getting into the knock out stages is fair enough (to help them progress etc.) but to see the beaten finalists get in also at the expense of a 'bigger' team is madness to me.

That's why the league is not as important.

The round robins come straight after the league.  Teams really need another weeks break, maybe two weeks even.
Munster is far more cutthroat than Leinster where the Dubs are not very consistent.

They are cut throat as teams' season will be over if they don't qualify, regardless of province. A big team will lose out.

As I said, it's unfair that Joe Mc Donagh finalists qualify.  This is not fair.

Hence the league is not as important now - championship is too close. Teams need another couple of weeks.

clonadmad

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 12, 2023, 09:49:33 PM
They weren't going out after one game though. Getting beat effectively put them in the back door as per the football. I also think the Munster championship isn't what it was. Part of that is teams sick of getting beat by Limerick mind you.

In the last 3 round round robin Munster Championships

Limerick lost a total of 3 games

Predicting the 3 that comes out of Munster every year is a lot trickier than predicting the 3 that comes out of Leinster

The great pity is that Kerry aren't up to it and then they could have a proper 6 team championship

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on February 12, 2023, 10:43:53 PM

Predicting the 3 that comes out of Munster every year is a lot trickier than predicting the 3 that comes out of Leinster

The great pity is that Kerry aren't up to it and then they could have a proper 6 team championship

True.

No reason why Kerry shouldn't be in it.

johnnycool

Quote from: clonadmad on February 12, 2023, 10:43:53 PM

I think you can safely say Limerick will come out of Munster, any of the other 4 could get either of the other two spare berths..

Leinster in itself is probably harder to call who's the top dog as Wex, KK or Galway may still be slightly ahead of the Dubs who can spring a surprise in one game but would need more than that to get a top 3 berth.
If you were a betting man you could predict Wex, KK and Galway to come out of Leinster but you might struggle to pick a winner especially as I think KK are struggling for a new identity based on yesterdays performance.

imtommygunn

If it were knockout though then they could get knocked out in the earlier round if they're not on their game.

clonadmad

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 13, 2023, 10:26:15 AM
If it were knockout though then they could get knocked out in the earlier round if they're not on their game.

Put in all that effort at training and be gone after 1 game

Riiiiight

imtommygunn

Backdoor. Doesn't have to be a backdoor to munster.  It can be a backdoor full stop but one chance to win munster and everyone gets two chances in the AI.Worked before.

clonadmad

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 13, 2023, 10:36:33 AM
Backdoor. Doesn't have to be a backdoor to munster.  It can be a backdoor full stop but one chance to win munster and everyone gets two chances in the AI.Worked before.

The provincial round robin system works well

Teams get games and a blip in one game isn't the end of your season

We have lads on here about developing and promoting hurling and your talking about reducing the number of high profile games

imtommygunn

I am not as convinced as you it does work well though and I don't think that has anything to do with the promotion of hurling. There are some flat games.

Also I would say the league would be better without it as round robin early matches are almost treated as warm up games. Granted munster teams need to be on the ball a bit more from the start but honestly I found some of munster games last year weren't great. You take limerick - clare games out of it and I don't think they were.

Promotion of hurling is fine in top tiers. It's the lower tiers it's not.