Mayo v Roscommon Connacht Minor Final 2008

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 21, 2008, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

First game played last saturday, we play ross in the hyde on this sat night 7pm:

A terrible Connacht MFC clash in Carrick-on-Shannon saw Roscommon beat hosts Leitrim by 1-4 to 0-4.

Saturday evening's match was a poor advertisement for Connacht football and will do little to lift the cloud of despondency hovering over the province at the moment.

Brian Murtagh's ninth-minute penalty was the different between the sides at the final whistle, but there were two other missed penalties inside the hour.

Leitrim scored three points in the last ten minutes, while the winners failed to raise a single flag from the 35th minute on.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

heineken_on_tap

How are Sligo minors shaping up this year?

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 21, 2008, 04:07:47 PM
First game played last saturday, we play ross in the hyde on this sat night 7pm:

A terrible Connacht MFC clash in Carrick-on-Shannon saw Roscommon beat hosts Leitrim by 1-4 to 0-4.

Saturday evening's match was a poor advertisement for Connacht football and will do little to lift the cloud of despondency hovering over the province at the moment.
Brian Murtagh's ninth-minute penalty was the different between the sides at the final whistle, but there were two other missed penalties inside the hour.

Leitrim scored three points in the last ten minutes, while the winners failed to raise a single flag from the 35th minute on.

In a couple of counties no doubt, but the entire province?

moysider

Not feelin despondent at all think mayo have reason for some optimism. The jury is out regarding the prospects of our minors it must be said though. Galway minors should be v good. Some fine players on that Jarlath s team available.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on April 21, 2008, 04:28:12 PM

In a couple of counties no doubt, but the entire province?

Not my words, took the report from hoganstand. Not a great day for the province yday it must be said. Hard to know how strong mayo and galway will be in this yrs CSFC.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on April 21, 2008, 04:22:01 PM
How are Sligo minors shaping up this year?

CML results
Sligo 1-14 Leitrim 0-4
Sligo 0-4 Ros 1-11
Sligo 1-6 Mayo 1-8
Sligo 1-7 Galway 1-9

Read into those results what you will. We played 30 players with different 15s different games. We should get through the round robin at least.

SLIGONIAN

The draw from SLIGOGAA.ie:

This game time has changed from 7pm to 4 pm according to Sligogaa.ie.

Round 2          Saturday  26th April

Roscommon    v          Sligo                            Hyde Park

Referee                                  P McGovern (G)

Standby Referee/Linesman   B Kinneevey (G)

Linesman                                J Henry (G)

Sideline Official                      M Leyden (L)

Field Officer: Pat Egan

Round 3          Monday 5th  May

Sligo                v          Leitrim                        Markievicz Park

Referee                                  G Kinneevey (G)

Standby Referee/Linesman   M Kenny (M)

Linesman                                J Feeney (M)

Sideline Official                      S Regan (R )

Field Officer:  J Henry

Quarter Finals SATURDAY  17th   May           

Extra Time if necessary

A:        Winners Round Robin           v          Mayo

B;        Second in Round Robin         v          Galway

Semi-Finals     27/28th June

Winners A                  v          Losers B

Winners B                  v          Losers A

Final                13th July

magpie seanie

The Sligo v. Roscommon minor game is at 7pm in the Hyde next Saturday.

Hard to know what our team will be like. Manager places no emphasis on the Connacht League from what I hear. I know some of the players involved and there are a few good ones. I think they are going well enough. It just remains to be seen if management can get the mix right and the lads perform on the days. Would expect to make it out of the group and who knows after that.

Turlough O Carolan

Connacht has won the last two minor All-Irelands. I wouldn't worry about one game at this time of the year. The Connacht minor championship is such a drawn out affair this year. In fact it's an absolute joke - with a round robin for Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim, and after that an additional backdoor for the losers of the qtr final (essentially to give Mayo and Galway a second chance should they lose at the qtr final stage). In all my life I have never seen a qtr final stage with the exact same 4 teams as the semi final stage. In fact losing in the qtr final qualifies you for the Connacht semi-final.

Why not have all 5 teams in the original round robin as originally proposed?

GalwayBayBoy

Galway going for their 6th Connacht minor title in the past 7 years but who knows with minors? Their form can be very erratic from one day to the next. Galway won the league without the Jarlath's players so theoretically they should be favourites but on the day anything can happen with young lads.

I won't be betting on it anyway. ;D

doire na raithe

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Snorrsville, Arizona.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: doire na raithe on April 21, 2008, 07:14:48 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Snorrsville, Arizona.

A valuable and incisive contribution there.

Rossfan

I wonder shoud you change your name to Doire na gob****e.
Poor effort in Carrick th'other night alright but we got the 2 points which was the main thing.
I havent great expectations this year especially with the dogs dinner of a system the Connacht Council has come up with - which essentially seems to be to get a Galway/Mayo Final and let the other ladeens have a few games to keep them quiet.
Still sure we'll see how it goes. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gaagaa