Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Fair play to Rochford, got us to two finals and with a bit of luck either day we would've have won.

What's James Nallen doing these days? Always felt he would be manager material or certainly in the background.

I'd like to see Michael Solan allowed a chance. We were a bit of a mess on the u21's final but it looked like we didn't have many options that day anyhow and the team weren't lacking in fight and spirit so that bodes well.

Maybe Solan with Horan alongside him as an adviser and Nallen having a role.

The like of Forde and those lads have all been around the block so I didn't see what SR was doing with those lads.

The difficulty these days is that it's a management team that needs to be assembled, that in itself will be a difficult task.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

Quote from: larryin89 on August 28, 2018, 09:18:19 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 28, 2018, 08:49:27 AM
Always thought Rochford took far too much stick for changing the keepers in the AI replay. What balls that took.
Because Hennelly made a howler, it'll go down as a de facto poor decision, but you couldn't legislate for that and there was a lot of merit in the choice he made. Clarke had a mediocre day in the final, and Hennelly is, on average, a much better kicker-outer. Clarke's final kickout over the line in 2017 was exactly the type of thing Rochford was trying to avoid in 16 I'd guess.

Personally I would think he'd be well sought after by other counties now.

Nothing from the players yet as far as I know? Any chance they could stick their necks out and ask SR and Mayo CB to have a re-think I wonder. (Especially given the Breaffy invovlement!)

Hennelly is a calamity of errors compared to Clarke , that line about kickouts doesn't wash with me , Stephen is hell bent on going offside with selection in big games .  Clarke is mayo number one , don't change your number one for an all Ireland unless it's a forced change .

Can you explain this year's set up by management , unforgivable show in new bridge by management. Straight up wtf you bringing color loftus on with two mins to go when the game is gone from us , a lad who should of started by right .  O donghue , crowe , what did they do wrong ? What was wrong with ger mcdonagh . What's the sceal with having conor o Shea  , Danny Kirby , David Drake hanging around , years and no  positive impact .

I could go on for another while but losing to Galway three years in a row , twice in castlebar, is a fok ing disgrace .

BTW , Stephen resigned . Seems to be lost on the GAA world since the news broke.

Rule #1 of the GAA world.
It's always the county boards fault.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on August 28, 2018, 09:16:00 AM
QuoteNothing from the players yet as far as I know? Any chance they could stick their necks out and ask SR and Mayo CB to have a re-think I wonder. (Especially given the Breaffy invovlement!)
You can't wait can you.

No idea what this means?

Quote from: larryin89 on August 28, 2018, 09:18:19 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 28, 2018, 08:49:27 AM
Always thought Rochford took far too much stick for changing the keepers in the AI replay. What balls that took.
Because Hennelly made a howler, it'll go down as a de facto poor decision, but you couldn't legislate for that and there was a lot of merit in the choice he made. Clarke had a mediocre day in the final, and Hennelly is, on average, a much better kicker-outer. Clarke's final kickout over the line in 2017 was exactly the type of thing Rochford was trying to avoid in 16 I'd guess.

Personally I would think he'd be well sought after by other counties now.

Nothing from the players yet as far as I know? Any chance they could stick their necks out and ask SR and Mayo CB to have a re-think I wonder. (Especially given the Breaffy invovlement!)

Hennelly is a calamity of errors compared to Clarke , that line about kickouts doesn't wash with me , Stephen is hell bent on going offside with selection in big games .  Clarke is mayo number one , don't change your number one for an all Ireland unless it's a forced change .

Can you explain this year's set up by management , unforgivable show in new bridge by management. Straight up wtf you bringing color loftus on with two mins to go when the game is gone from us , a lad who should of started by right .  O donghue , crowe , what did they do wrong ? What was wrong with ger mcdonagh . What's the sceal with having conor o Shea  , Danny Kirby , David Drake hanging around , years and no  positive impact .

I could go on for another while but losing to Galway three years in a row , twice in castlebar, is a fok ing disgrace .

BTW , Stephen resigned . Seems to be lost on the GAA world since the news broke.

That's absolutely fair re Connacht larry. Not winning a Connacht title in 3 years was poor. Although very much a lesser prize, but still a medal I suppose.

You know far more than me about the lads on the fringes of the panel and who deserves a longer run and which of the established lads should be dropped to make way for the 7 lads you listed. Injuries were unkind this year and the Kildare jobby couldn't have been a worse set up for you, and then the likes of Cillian, Keegan, Boyle not be quite at their prior years' levels.

While Stephen resigned, I think if this was a real job he'd more than likely win a constructive dismissal case

Mayo4Sam

It seems like Rochford resigned because he was left with no other option, he had stated last week that he wanted to stay and then was given 2 weeks to finalise a backroom team, unrealistic

There is a whole lot of propaganda going on in the county, so you need to know where the information is coming from and what that person gains from that news being out there.
I spoke to Noel Connelly a couple of weeks back, he told me the players didn't want Rochford but that they couldn't go against another manager and that McEntee would go for the job but not against Rochford. Who knows how much of that is true, how much of it is spin from he CB and how much of it is sour grapes against the players that ousted him. Any of those are a believable and understandable.

Its a mess

Personally I think Rochford did a great job, he got no credit within the county. I think especially in Ballina he was vilified for the Clarke thing and not playing Regan, the daggers were out for him locally. I also think his time was up. We were at a stage this summer when he had no players on the bench that he trusted to bring on in a scorching day in Newbridge. Not beating Galway eventually left us with too many injuries. But we had probably our best year ever as supporters in 2017

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 28, 2018, 10:28:19 AM
It seems like Rochford resigned because he was left with no other option, he had stated last week that he wanted to stay and then was given 2 weeks to finalise a backroom team, unrealistic

There is a whole lot of propaganda going on in the county, so you need to know where the information is coming from and what that person gains from that news being out there.
I spoke to Noel Connelly a couple of weeks back, he told me the players didn't want Rochford but that they couldn't go against another manager and that McEntee would go for the job but not against Rochford. Who knows how much of that is true, how much of it is spin from he CB and how much of it is sour grapes against the players that ousted him. Any of those are a believable and understandable.

Its a mess

Personally I think Rochford did a great job, he got no credit within the county. I think especially in Ballina he was vilified for the Clarke thing and not playing Regan, the daggers were out for him locally. I also think his time was up. We were at a stage this summer when he had no players on the bench that he trusted to bring on in a scorching day in Newbridge. Not beating Galway eventually left us with too many injuries. But we had probably our best year ever as supporters in 2017

I'd be fairly confident he made that comment assuming you wouldn't publicly attribute it to him on gaaboard.com.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sligoman2

Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2018, 12:23:10 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2018, 12:12:59 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on August 27, 2018, 11:42:49 PM
I wonder if Rochford will arise and go to inishfee?

Get away from the mayo quagmire
Visit the Land of hearts desire
Get away from McHale park pricks dicks
Enjoy the scenery in Markievicz

Nuf said....
But our County Board are a much bigger bunch of incompetents than Mayo. Our executive finance commitee isn't nicknamed the army council for nothing.

Seriously, would you want Rochford?
I remember foreigners bleating about how Holmes and Connelly were badly treated in Mayo and did a good job etc. I don't remember other counties falling over themselves signing them up. Why is that?

Btw, Sligonian, coming from the land of the great master poet I dont think pricks and Markievcz works all that well.

Duly noted; hopefully the revision above reaches the lofty poetic standards you so richly deserve from your northern neighbors.  I thought you would also have noticed I intentionally said inisfee not inisfree  ;D
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Crete Boom

Its a mess

Ha!! Knockmoreman complaining about Ballina vilifying a manger for dropping a Stephenites man!! Sure every Mayo manager from the mid 80's to the late 90's would have been tarred and feathered out in bandit country for not picking a Staunton or Butler or O'Neill or (insert knockmore player name here)!! ;D ;D ;D
I think you will find a sizable majority of Mayo fans went after Rochford for the decision on Hennelly over Clarke including honary Knockmoreman Joe Brolly and most Ballina people think Rochford gave Evan as good a go as any of the other fringe players in the squad over the last 3 years!! (although I am sure the Ballina people you talk to say different of course ;))

stephenite

Its a mess

There's incompetent stupidity, and there's Knockmore stupidity.

Mayo4Sam

Sure don't I feel bitter myself I didn't get a run. The knives have been out for Rochford in Ballina in a serious way

As for Brolly, he may be living out this way but in no way whatsoever is he an honorary Knockmore man

There's incompetent stupidity, and there's Knockmore stupidity - I'm not really sure what you mean by that?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2018, 10:36:46 AM

I'd be fairly confident he made that comment assuming you wouldn't publicly attribute it to him on gaaboard.com.
It was made to a sizeable enough group, all involved in the Mayo club scene or at least with an interest

Jayop

Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2018, 12:42:00 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2018, 11:46:54 PM
Putting McGuinness in charge of that Mayo team would be like Darth Vader taking a team of ewoks.
Everybody loved the ewoks, but who could support a side managed by Darth Vader?
The ewoks would lose a lot of goodwill.

I would have taken a Darth Vader if it meant an AI but too late now. Everybody has a DV in charge now or doing the coaching.
Paddy Tally went to Galway and tried to turn them into Tyrone. Now he is going over to Down to turn them into Tyrone as well. That is 2 of the most aesthetic footballing counties being reduced to blandness.

Apologies to Tyrone. I loved the Tyrone team of the noughties. This team is different and height of respect for them and no problem with what they do. I cant stand though other teams trying to do the same thing and doing it poorly.

The funny thing about tally having this reputation is that Walsh was interviewed last week and said he doesn't understand how tally has it when he was over the attack coaching in Galways and Walsh himself was responsible for the defense.

I think people just look at where he's from and assume that's his doing.

thebackbar1

You would imagine that the county board have someone lined up, otherwise if they had concerns about the new management team they should have cancelled the meeting last Sunday evening and the chairman should of met with roachford privately to relay their concerns.

If they have someone lined up, its disgraceful how roachford has been treated, the should of told him this after the kildare match.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2018, 10:36:46 AM

Its a mess

+1

Never beat the deeler

Its a mess

Read the bit in bold and then the bit in italics
Hasta la victoria siempre

trileacman

Quite a few lads forgetting that jimmy is the only county manager to defeat the Dubs in the last 5 years so it's a bit cheap to disregard his tactical nous as being stale. He even done so with a average enough Donegal squad.

To advocate Horan over Jim is wrong, there is clearly one cv which is much more impressive.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014