The Palestine thread

Started by give her dixie, October 17, 2012, 01:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Yet another violation of the ceasefire by Israel today as they murdered a 22 year old Palestinian.

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=555269&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces fired at the northern Gaza Strip on Friday, killing one man and injuring another, medics said.

Gaza health ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra told Ma'an that Anwar Muhammad al-Mamlouk, 22, was killed by Israeli fire east of Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.

Another man was seriously wounded and taken to the Kamal Udwan hospital by paramedics.

The incident happened near a cemetery by the refugee camp, al-Qidra said.

An Israeli military spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Abdullah al-Zaneen, 32, was shot and wounded by Israeli forces east of Beit Hanoun on Jan. 5. In December, Israeli forces shot and injured five Palestinians in the northern Gaza Strip, al-Qidra said.

Israeli troops have shot at Gazans near the border at least 10 times since the end of an eight-day offensive in November. Some 30 people have been wounded in the incidents, Gaza officials say.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

tyssam5

Thanks for the info GHD, I would have not have heard about that only for you.

This speaks again to Mike's question above. When people believe regular media is not reporting the facts in proportion ( would a 'rocket' attack from Gaza with no fatalities have got more publicity worldwide than this man getting shot dead), I believe it definitely would, then people will be more attracted to discussing a topic on the board.

Ball DeBeaver

I assume he was nowhere near the border fence.
I assume he wasn't warned to stop damaging the fence.
I assume there were no warning shots fired.
I assume the border guards didn't fire at their legs, after the warning shots they didn't fire.
I assume he wasn't part of a violent crowd.

I assume he was only out getting a pint of milk for his poor wee granny.

Anyone stupid enough to damage the border fence, whilst armed guards are there to protect it (and protect it, they will), is running an extremely high risk of getting lead poisoning. A very valuable life lesson has just been learned by his mates. DON'T GO NEAR THE F**KIN FENCE.

**EDIT** And by the way, it's not a breach of the ceasefire, as Hamas are supposed to stop Gazans from getting near the fence. It's their responsibility.
ani ohevet et Yisrael.
אני אוהבת את ישראל

muppet

Quote from: Ball DeBeaver on January 11, 2013, 07:13:05 PM
I assume he was nowhere near the border fence.
I assume he wasn't warned to stop damaging the fence.
I assume there were no warning shots fired.
I assume the border guards didn't fire at their legs, after the warning shots they didn't fire.
I assume he wasn't part of a violent crowd.

I assume he was only out getting a pint of milk for his poor wee granny.

Anyone stupid enough to damage the border fence, whilst armed guards are there to protect it (and protect it, they will), is running an extremely high risk of getting lead poisoning. A very valuable life lesson has just been learned by his mates. DON'T GO NEAR THE F**KIN FENCE.

**EDIT** And by the way, it's not a breach of the ceasefire, as Hamas are supposed to stop Gazans from getting near the fence. It's their responsibility.

One side dispute a fence or something, the other side shoot 30 of them, killing one.

'I assume he wasn't part of a violent crowd"

Nope, he was on the other side.
MWWSI 2017

Ball DeBeaver

Plenty of people dispute that banks have loads of their cash in them, but are able to resist the urge to break in.
ani ohevet et Yisrael.
אני אוהבת את ישראל

muppet

Quote from: Ball DeBeaver on January 11, 2013, 07:52:10 PM
Plenty of people dispute that banks have loads of their cash in them, but are able to resist the urge to break in.

If the banks stole their cash and then shot them for coming near, you might have a valid simile.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Why take sides sheehy asked. It's the same as the north per him. I wonder does he remember aidan mcanespie. There is an Aidan McAnespie every week in Gaza. I bet de beaver wouldn't dare post hasbara about Aidan McAnespie . If you go too close to British army towers running a shoot to kill policy it's fine to be killed is it?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2013, 10:03:28 PM
Why take sides sheehy asked. It's the same as the north per him. I wonder does he remember aidan mcanespie. There is an Aidan McAnespie every week in Gaza. I bet de beaver wouldn't dare post hasbara about Aidan McAnespie . If you go too close to British army towers running a shoot to kill policy it's fine to be killed is it?

There are other parallels with the Irish/British conflict.Like way Irish people were demonized by propagandists in the British media with no attempt at balanced journalism. Their hatred of Irish people is as obvious as your hatred of jews.

muppet

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on January 13, 2013, 02:22:50 AM
Their hatred of Irish people is as obvious as your hatred of jews.

I think we all recognise your in depth knowledge on hatred.
MWWSI 2017

give her dixie

Israel forcibly evacuates 'tent city'

Israel forces have forcefully evicted Palestinian and other multi-national activists from a hilltop protest camp they set up in a West Bank area slated for Jewish settlement.

Several activists were detained during Sunday morning eviction, including Mustafa Barghouthi, Secretary General of the Palestinian National Initiative, Al Jazeera's correspondent, reporting from Jerusalem, said.

Al Jazeera's Jane Ferguson, reporting from Jerusalem, said the activists who were detained were driven to Qalandiya checkpoint and then released.

"We also heard from medical sources that four people were admitted to hospital in Ramallah with injuries, but none serious."

"The media has no more access to the site, so we are not sure if the Israeli police are in the process of dismantling the tents."

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's office ordered the move after asking the Supreme Court to lift a stay of evacuation.

Palestinian activists erected tents in the area known as E-1 on Friday, saying they wanted to "establish facts on the ground" to stop Israeli construction in the West Bank.

Paleatinian politician Mustafa Barghouthi speaks to Al Jazeera

The activists were borrowing a phrase and a tactic, usually associated with Jewish settlers, who believe establishing communities means the territory will remain Israeli.

Activists said they wanted to establish a village in the site, which they are calling Bab Al Shams.

Netanyahu's office said on Saturday night that the state was petitioning the Supreme Court to rescind an earlier injunction blocking the evacuation. In the meantime, he ordered the area declared a closed military zone and shut off access.

The Supreme Court ruled on Friday that the Palestinian outpost could remain for six days while the issue of its removal was being discussed.

Israel announced it was moving forward with the E-1 settlement after the UN recognised a de facto state of Palestine in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem in November.

Palestinians say E-1 would be a major blow to their statehood aspirations as it blocks East Jerusalem from its West Bank hinterland. Palestinians are demanding these areas, along with Gaza, for their future state.

The construction plans drew unusually sharp criticism from some of Israel's staunchest allies including the US who strongly oppose the E- 1 project.

Israeli officials have said actual construction on the project may be years away if it ever gets off the ground, while Israeli critics have questioned whether Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu actually intends to develop E-1, or is pandering to hard-liners ahead of Israel's January 22 election.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/01/201311312243144380.html
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: muppet on January 13, 2013, 10:28:25 AM

Thats rich coming from seafoids little mini-me. He has trained you well.

muppet

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on January 13, 2013, 06:05:47 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 13, 2013, 10:28:25 AM

Thats rich coming from seafoids little mini-me. He has trained you well.

Wow! Another earth-shattering riposte. You should go into political speech writing.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2013, 10:03:28 PM

There are other parallels with the Irish/British conflict.Like way Irish people were demonized by propagandists in the British media with no attempt at balanced journalism. Their hatred of Irish people is as obvious as your hatred of jews.
I work with Diaspora Jews. Lovely people.
But Zionism is for the birds.

seafoid

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_CRISIS_OF_ZIONISM

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) -- An apocalyptic tone has crept into Israel's hitherto muted election season, with opposition leaders and others sounding increasingly desperate warnings that a few more years of rule by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's heavily favored right wing might well destroy the Jewish state.

The idea is that by holding onto the lands Palestinians want for their state - and continuing to settle them with Jews - the Israeli right is marching blindly toward a future in which Arabs could outnumber Jews in the country and ultimately take over.

Perhaps the most strident proponent of this message is former Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, who four years ago led peace talks with the Palestinians and recently founded a new party whose primary message is that the Zionist project is in danger. "Netanyahu is leading us toward the end of the Jewish state," she said in a statement Friday. "Israelis must choose between extremism and Zionism. Israel is in great danger and everyone must wake up now."

seafoid

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/the-shin-bet-sewer-cleaners.premium-1.493723

The gatekeepers?
By Gideon Levy | Jan.13,2013 | 4:20 AM |  3

"The Gatekeepers" isn't just another leftist protest film against the occupation. Far from it. Dror Moreh's documentary is the semi-official history of Israel's Shin Bet security service since 1967, told from the mouths of six of its former leaders. This is the service's version of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. This is also the story of "the old elite," which is fed up with the eternal war.

The film depicts the Shin Bet and its people as victims of a political leadership that has shirked a diplomatic decision on the future of the territories, preferring instead "the war on terror." From the perspective of the Shin Bet directors, they were, in the words of the late senior Shin Bet official Yossi Ginosar, the "sewer cleaners" who kept terror at a level we could live with.
Moreh's political stance is Rabinist: We will fight terror as though there were no diplomatic process and we will move ahead with the diplomatic process as though there were no terror. No wonder Yitzhak Rabin is given more screen time than the other prime ministers. Rabin's assassination is depicted as the historical turning point when peace was lost. In this film, settlers are lawbreakers and the heads of Likud are inciters.

The narrative of the film is convenient for the Shin Bet and ignores the clashes between the directors of the service and the service to the rule of law. The bus 300 affair (the murder of two terrorists who hijacked a bus in 1984) is recounted in detail by the head of the service at the time, Avraham Shalom. But Moreh stops the story in the middle, failing to mention that evidence was faked at the commission of inquiry and that amnesties were granted to the murderers and those who covered for them.

"The Gatekeepers" does not tell about the systematic lies of the service's investigators in the courts, as revealed by the Landau commission. Nor does it describe the High Court of Justice ruling that banned torture during investigations.
The Palestinians are depicted in the film as stereotypes: an Arab and a donkey in black and white, youths throwing stones, a screaming mob running behind an ambulance. Above all, they are as targets in clips of firing from unmanned aerial vehicles. Apparently this is how the Shin Bet people see their marks.

The service directors look like activists of the Mapai of yore – the major precursor of today's Labor Party, with their open-collared shirts, sabra-Ashkenazi accents and minor mistakes in their Hebrew. I know them from my home: This is the community from which my parents came (Shalom went to high school with my mother and a cousin of hers who was a Shin Bet operative cousin is mentioned in passing in the film).

Like many of their friends in this community, the Shin Bet directors have also mellowed and abandoned their gung-ho, activist security mindedness. This is what happened to Shalom, to Ami Ayalon, to Carmi Gillon and to Yuval Diskin. Only Avi Dichter remains in love with war and regrets the assassinations that didn't succeed.

Diskin is the tragic hero of "The Gatekeepers," the father of the assassinations that torture him in his private moments. "Shooting and crying," in the Shin Bet version. In his youth he was influenced by "If Israel Lost the War," a disturbing alternative history of the Six-Day War. At the end of the book, the victorious Arabs hang Moshe Dayan and Levi Eshkol in Malkehi Yisrael Square (one of the authors was Robert Littell, father of the author of "The Kindly Ones").
Today Diskin thinks that Yeshayahu Leibowitz was right in his angry prophecies and his railing against the occupation, which would destroy Israel from within.

Diskin mentions Robert McNamara, the American secretary of defense who led the Vietnam War until he regretted it and resigned, and his character served as an inspiration for the film. Like McNamara, who sobered up, Diskin too no longer believes the official version. His change of heart reveals the political fault line in Israel, which splits the war-loving right from the compromise-seeking left. Watching this film, one understands why Diskin butted heads with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and why the prime minister, the enemy of "the old elites," appointed as his successor Yoram Cohen, who wears a kippa. But even Netanyahu no longer believes Israelis can be mustered for wars and occupations. He now wants Israeli's defense to lean on fences, on Iron Domes, and to rely on "the gatekeepers" to continue to maintain the occupation.