GAA WTF

Started by seafoid, January 30, 2023, 07:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It will be interesting to see what the judge says  because it's under 9s and it is voluntary.  The mother is obviously pissed off that the kids were kicked out of the club but she can always go to another club.
Vindictive parents of young kids in sports teams are a hoor.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: LeoMc on January 30, 2023, 10:33:12 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 30, 2023, 08:15:39 PM
Quote from: dec on January 30, 2023, 07:42:50 PM
"She claims her husband, other parents and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the under-9 group."

Probably a dispute between play your best players and try to win versus everyone gets a turn.

At under 9, which is the right thing for a coach to do?

Should loud parents be able to over rule a coach?

I wonder what his approach was, best players on to win every game or give everyone a game even if it meant losing. I have seen Parents flip over both.

Surely, SURELY, in 2023, no one is going to an Under 9 tournament and as a coach playing your best players in order to win or as a parent expecting your coach to play your best players in order to win, surely?! This is coaching 101 in every single course I have ever done.

This is absolute madness by both parties.

Walter Cronc

Names tell you everything you need to know about the parents!

thewobbler

Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 08:44:58 AM
"She claims her husband, other parents and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the under-9 group."

Probably a dispute between play your best players and try to win versus everyone gets a turn.

I wonder what his approach was, best players on to win every game or give everyone a game even if it meant losing. I have seen Parents flip over both.

Surely, SURELY, in 2023, no one is going to an Under 9 tournament and as a coach playing your best players in order to win or as a parent expecting your coach to play your best players in order to win, surely?! This is coaching 101 in every single course I have ever done.

Trailer a question. When clubs run a prestigious u9 tournament, with clubs from multiple provinces taking part - do you honestly believe the majority of teams drive those distances just to give everyone a game?

I'm all for non-competitive leagues and tournaments at u9 and u11. But (and I don't which tournament it was) if a team is driving 70 miles and past 100 clubs, it's for bigger reasons than a day out.

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2023, 09:06:57 AM

Trailer a question. When clubs run a prestigious u9 tournament, with clubs from multiple provinces taking part - do you honestly believe the majority of teams drive those distances just to give everyone a game?

I'm all for non-competitive leagues and tournaments at u9 and u11. But (and I don't which tournament it was) if a team is driving 70 miles and past 100 clubs, it's for bigger reasons than a day out.
Yeah thats true, but surely you don't take players that distance if you aren't gonna play them.

Farrandeelin

Surely every child got a game. I'd be surprised if around 30 kids went to Newry from Dublin with a handful getting gametime. I was coaching our u-9s last year, and every club we played had 2 or 3 teams. I'd like to imagine this tournament was no different.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

It's hard to imagine how an under 9 GAA tournament can end up in the High Court.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LeoMc

A lot of Parents do not do coaching 101. If Mammy and Daddy drive 70 miles to see young Ross "who could be the next Brian Fenton, dontcha know" and the coach is "losing games they could have won, if only Ross was started instead of Reggie, well less said about his ability but..."

trailer

YES! It's a day out. Jesus Christ!
Although the older I have got the more I see that A LOT of people are not wise in the head.

John Martin

What's a prestigious u9 tournament?

tbrick18

I've coached u9s/u11s and there's a real mixed bag of personalities.

Coaches - majority are there with their own kids. Majority go out of their way to make sure that every kid gets as much game time as possible and to improve their basic skills, but also to try to make it fun. If it's not fun, they don't want to come and you could lose them forever. It's all about bringing those kids on so that the club has potential senior players in years to come. But....and I've first hand experience of this, some coaches are there to make their wee jimmy the star of the u9s and a future county player. They have no time for the wee lad who can't solo or score from 30 yards. Would play his own lad all day every day and god help anyone who suggests he should be taken off. Has no issue telling kids how crap they are when they lose. This coach needs to win every tournament, as determined as if it's Sam Maguire. In my opinion, not the type of coach you want with under age kids and I've seen it causing ructions with parents and kids.

Parents - majority want their kids to enjoy it, keep fit, make friends and if they happen to make a good footballer in years ahead, then so be it. The majority are happy if their child is getting a fair amount of game time - most are realistic about how "good" their child is and so long as they are improving and getting a chance to improve, the parents are happy. But....some parents think their wee jimmy is the star and should be playing all game every game and can't understand why their child prodigy was taken off during that u9 tournament to give a wee lad with two left feet a half when all he's interested in is looking for butterflies. We could have won that tournament if he was playing. I don't buy into that. No-one is going to remember who won an u9 tournament the day after it happens, but if you have 30 kids away home happy that they all got playing, even when they get beat, that's more valuable.

Kids - most want to have fun and play with their friends. Some want to play county. They ALL want to win when it comes to playing games and they ALL want to play every game. When they get beat at a tournament they feel bad, some cry, some go quiet. As a coach, I always try to show them that we're proud of how they all played and all tried their hardest (even if they didnt), because they are just kids and need that encouragement. Its good if they are disappointed, but important that they are encouraged and that hopefully helps them improve.

Every club has these personalities and it'll always be a constant battle where there are a small minority at under age who expect to win every tournament going and there will always be "expert" managers who can explain why the u9 coach got it wrong. What I'd say to those people is to get a grip. Tournament or not, if the kids are not enjoying it you've lost, and there is no way of knowing at u9s of the wee lad that can't solo is going to turn into the star senior footballer in 10 years time. Kids all develop at different rates so all should get treated the same at that level or you run the risk of losing a potential star senior footballer.

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 10:01:02 AM

Although the older I have got the more I see that A LOT of people are not wise in the head.

I don't often agree with you Trailer, but I agree here 100%.

trailer

thewobbler

Quote from: John Martin on January 31, 2023, 10:16:30 AM
What's a prestigious u9 tournament?

One that clubs come from near and far to attend, as they wish to challenge themselves against the best sides.

——

I don't agree with competitive structures for under 9 football. But nor do I think that anyone should deny clubs, mentors and players the right to engage in competitive blitzes so long as everyone taking part understands what's going on.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get their head checked. I don't care what doctrine you subscribe to.... You don't have the right to force other GAA folks into your narrow thoughts.

thewobbler

Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 10:01:02 AM

We play non-competitive u9 leagues in Down. Which is right.

We enter non-competitive u9 blitzes too. Which is right.

But we also attend a handful of blitzes that aren't much different in concept to a Feile. You enter a division and you try to win it.

What on earth could possibly be wrong with a few competitive tournaments a year? What are you ao afraid of finding out, that it cannot be corrected over the following weeks in a non competitive environment?