China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

You said the aim was to reduce deaths, now you're saying it's a balancing act between opening up and reducing deaths. So which is it? What level of deaths are acceptable?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Heading towards a lockdown over Halloween I fear! Get your bog roll in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 02, 2020, 01:10:35 PM
Heading towards a lockdown over Halloween I fear! Get your bog roll in

Yep, again trying to cod the public though with this "circuit breaker" nonsense instead of being up front and admitting the schools reopening has had more of an effect than they expected.

armaghniac

Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 10:25:13 AM
You said the aim was to reduce deaths, now you're saying it's a balancing act between opening up and reducing deaths. So which is it? What level of deaths are acceptable?

Other people's deaths are much more acceptable than our own or people we know.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Harold Disgracey

934 new cases in the north yesterday!

Blowitupref

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 02, 2020, 02:13:21 PM
934 new cases in the north yesterday!

more than double the previous record of 424 new cases set earlier this week. 6,038 individuals tested so roughly one in six tested positive.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Bloody hell. Will there be another lockdown in the north?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

lurganblue

Worrying news.  It is hard for people in the north to put that into context compared to March and April though cos of the severe lack of testing during that assumed peak.

Angelo

Surely the most relevant statistic is the deaths though. I know it will probably take a number of weeks to quantify that as the spread is only reaching peak levels now but that must be the real barometer.

For whatever reason, the second wave doesn't seem to be as fatal as the first, whether that is down to being better prepared, the virus not being as potent or the fact that it's a younger demograph impacted I don't know.

Science still scratching itself about this anyway.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 10:25:13 AM
You're just being an internet eejit

sid waddell

There are currently 25 active outbreaks in care homes in the North, according to the Belfast Telegraph

You simply can't let this virus spread and simultaneously contain it among the old and vulnerable

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on October 02, 2020, 03:35:00 PM

Rare I agree with you Angelo but this very true.

I still think the worry is deaths may ramp up as on the initial wave it was slow. I think to some degree they have learnt in terms of treating it and when and when not to go on ventilators etc. Be interesting to read learnings.

Worrying if it's back in care homes.

Walter Cronc

Could it not be a case of the north getting a first wave, when you compare it to London, which is relatively low going by its population and density.

Got an alert on the UK covid app that I was in close contact with someone who tested positive. I'm working in London. That's all it told me really. Thought it would have said where etc.

Hereiam

Quote from: Angelo on October 02, 2020, 03:35:00 PM
Surely the most relevant statistic is the deaths though. I know it will probably take a number of weeks to quantify that as the spread is only reaching peak levels now but that must be the real barometer.

For whatever reason, the second wave doesn't seem to be as fatal as the first, whether that is down to being better prepared, the virus not being as potent or the fact that it's a younger demograph impacted I don't know.

This virus was about in December of last year so god knows what the number of cases were back at the start of March to attribute the number of deaths at that stage. We could be in for a very rough winter if this virus is not brought under control.