Gerry McEntee puts Art McRory back in his box

Started by Jinxy, May 31, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 07, 2015, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 07, 2015, 10:12:22 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 07, 2015, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 07, 2015, 05:42:56 PM
Excellent rebuttal lads. All five points devastatingly refuted.

(Bunker, my glasses are perfectly horizontal.)

To be honest Hardy, I did actually start a rebuttal as your points are so utterly ridiculous.
OK - you have me there. I never considered that argument. Very convincing.

But I realised it was 20 years ago and I had things to do. I'll leave you to enjoy your rose tinted garden.
You're right - it is nearly twenty years ago, but I didn't bring it up. I only stepped in to correct the errors.

(My garden, unlike my glasses is, in fact, tilted.)

Ok, since I have been provoked into a meaningless 20 year old debate;

Point 1: I agree, we won't know as a fact if the Tyrone players were targeted as we weren't in the Meath dressing room. I presume you weren't there either so you can't present your point as fact either. The video evidence of the incidents could point to a systematic attempt to target certain Tyrone players. Again, I don't know this for a fact, but at least I'm basing it on video evidence of incidents that occurred. Have you any evidence to suggest FOR A FACT that those players weren't targeted?

Point 2: if your manager was unaware of the threat posed by Dooher and McBride then he was not the outstanding manager that I have always believed him to be. McBride offered a foil for Canavan that was exceptionally effective in that Ulster championship, an outlet that wasn't there in 95. Close that avenue down and we may be back to all roads leading to Peter. A much easier task to nullify. And well, Dooher was becoming Dooher. In a game were Tyrone were always going to be second best at midfield Doohers role was becoming vital. Again, just because you were unaware, doesn't mean a manager as astute as Boylan was unaware.

Point 3: Canavan was out, on and off, for nearly 2 years with that injury. I hardly think it was just a twisted ankle? Your knowledge on this is obviously very sketchy. He was never the same player after that incident. Ok I could agree, McDermott did not specifically target his ankle, he most definitely was not thinking of a "twisted" ankle as his primary motive but he saw an opportunity to take out Canavan when he was in a very vulnerable position. Fair play to him, it worked and the rest is history.

Point 4: So Tyrone, the previous years All Ireland finalists, coming out of a province that included 3 of the previous 4 All Ireland winners were playing Meath,  team who hadn't won a provincial crown in 5 years. I would say it would take a wild leap of imagination for even the most die hard of Meath fans to consider, at the time of Canavans injury in the first half and the other first half incidents occurred, that Meath were so superior that they could have taken players off to rest them. The rose tinted glasses of 1996 are very powerful.

Point 5: No idea what your are talking about with your rape comment. But I must say that the outrage in Tyrone served to create a mindset that won us the 3 All Ireland titles in future years. Rightly or wrongly, we believed that if we were to win All Ireland titles then we'd have to go and rip them off the traditional strongholds - and so it came to pass. For that I will be eternally grateful.

I write this post in response to your jibes. Let it be known that I bear no animosity to Meath football at all. I have always admired your style of play and was a huge fan of the Team in the late 80s to early 90s and in fact hope to see them rise again to challenge Dublins cake walk in Leinster soon.
I too bear no animosity against meath.  With the ability to forgive comes peace within. 

tonto1888

Quote from: Hardy on June 08, 2015, 09:16:05 AM
Benny – this is your best effort? Really? You have heard of the Argument From Ignorance fallacy?

You targeted our best players.
- How about some evidence?
No. You provide the evidence that you didn't.

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 08, 2015, 06:27:11 AM
I hate the Meath hoors, what good was the lesson if we didnt learn to hate them? Their possibly worse than the inbreds which I have been assured by the populace of their neighbouring counties is also an affliction that Meath people suffer from and apparently where the nickname "the Royals" stems from.

Ah! More cornerboy trash talk. It seems to be endemic among the bushes. And you expect me to go down to the post office and send you a tape?

You lads need to follow Fuzzman's lead. Face your demons. Work to take your trash-talking, cheating, grief-mocking delinquents under control instead of whinging about something that didn't happen twenty years ago.

I think Benny is pretty reasoned to be honest, OmaghJoe on the other hand.......

tonto1888

To be honest Hardy, I did actually start a rebuttal as your points are so utterly ridiculous.

But I realised it was 20 years ago and I had things to do. I'll leave you to enjoy your rose tinted garden.
You're right - it is nearly twenty years ago, but I didn't bring it up. I only stepped in to correct the errors.

Point 1: I agree, we won't know as a fact if the Tyrone players were targeted as we weren't in the Meath dressing room. I presume you weren't there either so you can't present your point as fact either. The video evidence of the incidents could point to a systematic attempt to target certain Tyrone players. Again, I don't know this for a fact, but at least I'm basing it on video evidence of incidents that occurred. Have you any evidence to suggest FOR A FACT that those players weren't targeted?

Point 2: if your manager was unaware of the threat posed by Dooher and McBride then he was not the outstanding manager that I have always believed him to be. McBride offered a foil for Canavan that was exceptionally effective in that Ulster championship, an outlet that wasn't there in 95. Close that avenue down and we may be back to all roads leading to Peter. A much easier task to nullify. And well, Dooher was becoming Dooher. In a game were Tyrone were always going to be second best at midfield Doohers role was becoming vital. Again, just because you were unaware, doesn't mean a manager as astute as Boylan was unaware.

Point 3: Canavan was out, on and off, for nearly 2 years with that injury. I hardly think it was just a twisted ankle? Your knowledge on this is obviously very sketchy. He was never the same player after that incident. Ok I could agree, McDermott did not specifically target his ankle, he most definitely was not thinking of a "twisted" ankle as his primary motive but he saw an opportunity to take out Canavan when he was in a very vulnerable position. Fair play to him, it worked and the rest is history.

Point 4: So Tyrone, the previous years All Ireland finalists, coming out of a province that included 3 of the previous 4 All Ireland winners were playing Meath,  team who hadn't won a provincial crown in 5 years. I would say it would take a wild leap of imagination for even the most die hard of Meath fans to consider, at the time of Canavans injury in the first half and the other first half incidents occurred, that Meath were so superior that they could have taken players off to rest them. The rose tinted glasses of 1996 are very powerful.

Point 5: No idea what your are talking about with your rape comment. But I must say that the outrage in Tyrone served to create a mindset that won us the 3 All Ireland titles in future years. Rightly or wrongly, we believed that if we were to win All Ireland titles then we'd have to go and rip them off the traditional strongholds - and so it came to pass. For that I will be eternally grateful.

I write this post in response to your jibes. Let it be known that I bear no animosity to Meath football at all. I have always admired your style of play and was a huge fan of the Team in the late 80s to early 90s and in fact hope to see them rise again to challenge Dublins cake walk in Leinster soon.

Point 5. Rip them off the traditional strongholds.
I didnt realise we, Armagh, were a traditional stronghold. Cheers ;)

Jinxy

The GAA badly needs a strong Meath team to keep the likes of Tyrone in their place.
People gave out about Saddam Hussein for years and now there are plenty who'd take him back in a heartbeat to put manners on those jumped-up ISIS lads.
He was hard but fair.
In summary, Tyrone are worse than ISIS.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

cuconnacht

Quote from: rrhf on June 08, 2015, 09:48:00 AM

I too bear no animosity against meath.  With the ability to forgive comes peace within.
Pious fecker,your fired!You should have been courtmartialed two weeks ago anyhow. ;D

Shamrock Shore

Feck sake.

Imagine if some of the moaney holes here and the internet was around in the 50s, 60s and 70s when football was tough and uncompromising. Jesus, there'd be some discussions.

That Meath team of the 80s/90s were hewn out of old timber. They took no prisioners and I loved that about them. They had style as well in Stafford, Flynn and Beggy.

Ever hear a Dub moaning about the beatings they took from Lyons and Co around that time?
Is it only Tyrone that have the puss on them?

Keyser soze

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 08, 2015, 01:38:23 PM
Feck sake.

Imagine if some of the moaney holes here and the internet was around in the 50s, 60s and 70s when football was tough and uncompromising. Jesus, there'd be some discussions.

That Meath team of the 80s/90s were hewn out of old timber. They took no prisioners and I loved that about them. They had style as well in Stafford, Flynn and Beggy.
Ever hear a Dub moaning about the beatings they took from Lyons and Co around that time?

I'd say he wasn't O'Rourke's cup of tea, the rugby playin caaaant.  ;D

BennyHarp

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 08, 2015, 10:49:13 AM

Point 5. Rip them off the traditional strongholds.
I didnt realise we, Armagh, were a traditional stronghold. Cheers ;)

I was thinking of Kerry in the semi final!  :D
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: rrhf on June 08, 2015, 09:48:00 AM

Never heard of inner peace never winnin an All-Ireland

From the Bunker

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 08, 2015, 01:38:23 PM
Feck sake.

Ahem! Where have you been for the last 20 years?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on June 08, 2015, 11:08:40 AM
The GAA badly needs a strong Meath team to keep the likes of Tyrone in their place.
People gave out about Saddam Hussein for years and now there are plenty who'd take him back in a heartbeat to put manners on those jumped-up ISIS lads.
He was hard but fair.
In summary, Tyrone are worse than ISIS.

So you are self proclaiming Meath as the Saddam Hussein of the GAA?
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

I hate doing quotes on here as I often use my phone to read the board and it kills my finger scrolling so much.
BennyHarps post on page 7 is as good an explanation as I've ever read about that Meath game.

A few years back I read a Meath book (can't recall the title) as they see that victory over Tyrone as a massive performance by them that they kinda hijacked us that day and "nullified" our best players which allowed them to play some amazing football.
It was a weird position for Tyrone to find themselves in as favourites having won two Ulsters in a row for the first time ever I think.

Tyrone management team back then was naive and remind me of how the new boys on the block get treated by a more experienced team or management team who are that bit cuter.
Anyway as most of admit it was a hard lesson learnt and at least PTG got a chance to come back 10 years later to win his 2nd AI.

Fuzzman

Sometimes you have to wonder is Brolly picking these fixtures out on RTE to stir up the sh*t!

I wonder will Gerry McEntee make the trip up North. We should do some Art work for him

Jinxy

Gerry & Art will race each other over 30m at half-time to decide once and for all which is the mightiest county.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

Quote from Hardy blah blah...After all that, though, fair play to you, Fuzzman for the rest of your post. You're the first Tyrone contributor to acknowledge the fact that your team has brought this  hateful  sledging and trash-talking to the game. It's an honest and brave post for that much. This stuff needs to be stamped out and we'd go a long way to achieving that if the rest of those responsible took charge of that responsibility in the way you suggest

I must have missed this reply when you wrote it BUT...

I love yer line "Stamping Out" this sort of stuff.
Armagh lads STILL reckon Marsden didn't punch Jordan.
Do you still reckon Martin O'Connell didn't mean to stand on Doohers head?
If Paul Donnelly had of stood on Trevor Giles head would the media have saw it the same way?
AZ, this is where you usually step in with some sense and sensibility.

For those who wonder why we hate Meath so much.
Read the previous pages. Let it go. Meath nearly ended the hopes of an All Ireland for one of the best players to ever play football.
Thankfully Mickey Harte came along with a great squad of young lads 7 years later.