Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Moregroundhurling on December 15, 2018, 07:08:48 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on December 11, 2018, 07:27:53 AM
Quote from: merman on December 10, 2018, 11:57:35 AM

In the end, Abbeyleix pride won out and I know a lot of club members didn't want to be party to taking hurling out of the town.
They are a club which should have no problems standing alone as a senior side. Their juvenile progress has stalled a little but they have still been one of the 2/3 strongest juvenile clubs over the last 5/6 years.
Important to acknowledge too, the role Ballyroan played in helping Abbeyleix turn it down.

Gaels gone got grades under senior, roll on the area teams. Great news.

Don't think football had anything to do with it. Abbeyleix had the giblets to back themselves against bigger amalgamations. As they say pride cometh before the fall, I hope it won't be for abbeyleix. They could be off designing names and jerseys but chose the road less travelled by with regard to most laois senior clubs. Tough year ahead for them. Fighting league and championship relagation is the price you pay for pride in the parish.
Good luck and God speed because you will need both
By god you almost had me weeping with pride for the beauty of the association there.

Until I remembered they tossed away football in the club without a second thought not so long ago.

Home Boys Home

In the end, Abbeyleix pride won out and I know a lot of club members didn't want to be party to taking hurling out of the town.
They are a club which should have no problems standing alone as a senior side. Their juvenile progress has stalled a little but they have still been one of the 2/3 strongest juvenile clubs over the last 5/6 years.
Important to acknowledge too, the role Ballyroan played in helping Abbeyleix turn it down.

Don't think football had anything to do with it. Abbeyleix had the giblets to back themselves against bigger amalgamations. As they say pride cometh before the fall, I hope it won't be for abbeyleix. They could be off designing names and jerseys but chose the road less travelled by with regard to most laois senior clubs. Tough year ahead for them. Fighting league and championship relagation is the price you pay for pride in the parish.

Yes, Abbeyleix will be favourites for relegation in 2019 . We have some good young hurlers coming up but not so much for 2019,  maybe in 2020 a few will come through, but you never know with young lads. Talented juveniles often not interested when they get to adult and hurling is no longer once a week and starts interfering with other activities ! The club is small though and like Ballinakill will struggle to field a second team next year.  Talk of a juvenile link up between the two clubs now.

Home Boys Home

Quote from: Don Draper on December 15, 2018, 08:45:43 PM

By god you almost had me weeping with pride for the beauty of the association there.

Until I remembered they tossed away football in the club without a second thought not so long ago.

If by "tossed away" you mean agree to a structure where those lads who want to play football go and play football in a football club in the Parish , and lads who want to hurl play hurling in the hurling club in the parish then you are 100% correct

burdizzo

Abbeyleix favourites for relegation? Personally, I'd fancy Castletown.

clonadmad

Quote from: Home Boys Home on December 15, 2018, 11:17:01 PM

Yes, Abbeyleix will be favourites for relegation in 2019 . We have some good young hurlers coming up but not so much for 2019,  maybe in 2020 a few will come through, but you never know with young lads. Talented juveniles often not interested when they get to adult and hurling is no longer once a week and starts interfering with other activities ! The club is small though and like Ballinakill will struggle to field a second team next year.  Talk of a juvenile link up between the two clubs now.

Heard that both sides are talking regarding a Juvenile amalgamation all right

Probably the best course of action now,work together at Juvenile for a couple of years and then go back and re-examine a senior amalgamation.

Keyser Söze

In my opinion Abbeyleix took the correct course of action. I also think the arrangement with Ballyroan is a very practical one that is mutually beneficial. Ballypickas the big losers in it.
Can't see how Abbeyleix amalgamating at juvenile level is a positive thing for Laois Hurling. The numbers are there at primary school level. Do what they have been doing- develop them.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 16, 2018, 03:21:48 PM
In my opinion Abbeyleix took the correct course of action. I also think the arrangement with Ballyroan is a very practical one that is mutually beneficial. Ballypickas the big losers in it.
Can't see how Abbeyleix amalgamating at juvenile level is a positive thing for Laois Hurling. The numbers are there at primary school level. Do what they have been doing- develop them.

My understanding is that ballinakill are very tight with numbers in a lot of age grades

They were in Abbeyleix at u11 this year,numbers are tight at u13 and u15 and they have 5-7 lads atu17

Keyser Söze

I understand Ballinakill taking this approach. But surely a link up with another rural club in a similar situation.
Less fellas from towns like Abbeyleix, Mountmellick, Port getting game time at 11/13/15 is not a good thing.

Moregroundhurling

Any truth in the rumours that ballyfin and slieve bloom are getting into  bed together. Laoistoday mustn't have been invited into negotiation talks this time

Don Draper

Quote from: Moregroundhurling on December 22, 2018, 03:25:21 PM
Any truth in the rumours that ballyfin and slieve bloom are getting into  bed together. Laoistoday mustn't have been invited into negotiation talks this time
Who in either club would you most like to get into bed with

merman

Would make a certain sense as a Gaels combo save the obvious fact that Ballyfin and Slieve Bloom will hurl independently in the exact same grade next year.

Not a hope they'd make a full amalgamation. Slieve Bloom far too proud for that, as per Twitter at least.

merman

Now, a Castletown-Ballyfin Gaels arrangement would be interesting.

Moregroundhurling

Quote from: Don Draper on December 22, 2018, 03:28:59 PM

From slieve bloom probably Ben Conroy, and I'd have to go with James Finn from Ballyfin. Who would you go for @dondraper

Don Draper

Quote from: Moregroundhurling on December 22, 2018, 08:37:03 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on December 22, 2018, 03:28:59 PM

From slieve bloom probably Ben Conroy, and I'd have to go with James Finn from Ballyfin. Who would you go for @dondraper

I'd have a lot of time for big Rickie.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on December 22, 2018, 07:08:15 PM
Would make a certain sense as a Gaels combo save the obvious fact that Ballyfin and Slieve Bloom will hurl independently in the exact same grade next year.

Not a hope they'd make a full amalgamation. Slieve Bloom far too proud for that, as per Twitter at least.

Surely they won't revamp the Senior Championship to allow a new Gaels team!