Laois Intermediate Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd

I agree . a lot of people on here say the likes of Courtwood and Emo and the likes should do a full amalgamation but Emo won intermediate last year and Courtwood are going well this year. Nobody sees the hard work that lads in small clubs put in for whatever rewards they may get . If two clubs amalgamate then maybe you have 24 or 25 players at senior level but 2 intermediate clubs might have 50. If my club amalgamated and went senior I reckon we'd lose up to 10 players as lads have a perception that playing second team is a step down and it's easy to quit . Huge effort is being put in at underage levels at certain clubs and when they reap the rewards certain clubs just look for an easy way to compete. It doesn't sit well that mm can pull 4 or 5 of the best players in another club and use them against the likes of the Courtwoods of this world . I haven't a clue what the population is out there but I'd imagine it's nearer to castletown than mm. They should be commended for keeping 30 lads going rather than discriminated against

Unlaoised

Quote from: O moore parklife on September 21, 2018, 06:13:58 PM
Back to the thread hope courtwood do it.
Gaels in general sits uneasy with me.
Gaels in intermediate is wrong
Gaels needed to prop up a town the size of mountmellick is crazy.

I tend to agree go on the wood
LAOIS ABÚ

BallyroanAbu

I don't really have a problem with Gael's teams,  Mountmellick were relegated as a Gael's team they are entitled to come back up as a Gaels team.  Courtwood had no problem with being part of St Paul's as a juvenile team they were were "Gaels" in all but name.  Whoever wins has to take on a team with roughly 1/5 of the counties population in Senior.  I think Portlaoise are stronger than ever and come County Final Sunday we will all be screaming for Gaels teams.  I think the promotion of the games in towns like Mountmellick, Portlaoise, Portarlington & Graiguecullen is seriously flawed.  I believe as a county this is what we should be thinking about,  asking the question "Why a town the size of Mountmellick is taking the Gael's option"  or "Why don't Portlaoise have a second team or is there an alternative solution".  The reality is at the moment Laois is falling behind at development level and this is where we should be focusing.  I said last year I fear the Center of Excellence will result in the fall of funding from all ready under funded area's within Laois Football and Hurling.  We really need to get our act together with Games Development and fast otherwise all that will be in the Center of Excellence will be teams far from Excellence. 

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on September 26, 2018, 08:46:50 AM
Courtwood had no problem with being part of St Paul's as a juvenile team they were were "Gaels" in all but name.
I don't really understand this part of your post.
I actually don't disagree with much else in your post but to be fair juvenile amalgamations and adult amalgamations are two different things.
Emo and Courtwood have been amalgamating at underage level in various forms for well over 50 years now.
There's been teams called St Paul's for over 40 years.
Emo or Courtwood have rarely had enough players for their own separate underage teams so I don't think it's fair to have a dig at what works best for us at underage.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Jd

Actually none of the rest of the 4 remaining senior teams are Gaels teams. I have posted before about Gaels and I don't have a problem with them at senior but it should be long term with a neighbouring team . Not one of convenience just for getting two or three players . I think MM are playing as Sarsfields at underage and have two or three clubs involved . Are Castletown involved there If MM want to develop they need to keep their own young players going first and foremost. winning an intermediate would give them a huge boost and raise the profile of the game in the town ,But they need to capalitise on it in schools  and with young kids. Your point about St Pauls being a Gaels team is correct but they have been that way for the past 50 years almost and its the same parish. I played them when I was a brat and thats not today or yesterday. we need to get more from our towns than we have been and MM is too big a town to be Intermediate and amalgamated at Juvenile level in My opinion

From the Terrace

I'm looking forward to this game should be a close one, would like to see the stand alone club win. alan george coming out saying they are entitled to players from another parish is ridiculous.

SCFC

Quote from: From the Terrace on September 28, 2018, 09:18:45 AM
I'm looking forward to this game should be a close one, would like to see the stand alone club win. alan george coming out saying they are entitled to players from another parish is ridiculous.
The bookies heavily favour Mountmellick Gaels. I think Courtwood are 5/2 or 11/4.
On the Castletown thing, I think it is what it is and at least it's a long standing arrangement. Just seems odd for it to be allowed at intermediate level.

From the Terrace

just odd george comes out about reddins always playing with MM, fair enough if they were the only 2 players they used. But the two mullaneys playing midfield & centre forward are serious additions. I think the middle 8 players are very strong for MM & should get them home if they play well. The inside line for courtwood is sharper than MM so should be a close one hopefully.

Jd

It was that way up to now so I suppose it's fair enough that they remain that way despite relegation. They are down for a reason. Their manager has to defend the set up too but my question would be why a town of that size cannot get underage structures in place to stand alone as a club and be a competitive senior club too. Courtwood were probably 5th ranked team this year behind MM Roseanallis Timahoe and Pl but are punching above their weight a bit  As regards the match I think Courtwood might sneak it. Goalies are pretty equal maybe Keogh shades it on stopping shots both fullback lines are good markers with Courtwoods two  corners very big mobile men. Hanrahan is a very good fullback though  George and left half back very good coming forward and it'll be interesting to see both sets of half backs bombing forward at each other  with Flynn and the other chap very quick and accurate. Coss probably swings midfield for MM  but Courtwood won't lamp ball in his direction at all I'd imagine. Half forward lines would rank even except for the excellent Niall Donoher. If George can hold him a lot of the job is done. I said if !! Full forward lines both good but maybe Mullins lacks a wee bit of pace but is a clinical finisher. Courtwoods full forwards are lightening fast and on a big pitch the last day won every ball in front. If they get turned and are accurate it could be a tough day for MM full backs. Don't know about subs so won't  comment. Maybe it's heart ruling head but I think in tight matches a small bit of class could sneak it and I think Courtwood might have a few young lads that will announce themselves on the big day

Don Draper

Courtwood are on fire this year. A young team playing a brand of football not many who have come up against them can match. I will say that they've been in few if any proper battles this year, to my knowledge. They'll be in a battle here, I still fancy them to come through it though. They'll be worthy winners and will hold their own easily in the SFC.

Jd

MM have had two or three facile wins coming up to this too and both semi finals were just box ticking exercises. Neither side tested at all. The first match was a cracking competition with the smaller pitch in port suiting the more physical MM team . How both sets of backs deal with the wide open spaces in O Moore Park will decide this and I reckon the smaller faster Courtwood forwards might swing a very tight contest

Laoiseabu

Mountmellick I think will win this one . Should still be a senior side in my opinion .

Keyser Söze

Delighted for Courtwood, and delighted for the integrity of the IFC.
Mountmellick are reaping what they sowed.

They have essentially become sellswords, to use a certain lingo!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Jd

Bit harsh on MM. Plenty of other Gael teams about the county. They will need to look long and hard at their underage set up but tonight belongs to Courtwood. They played some lovely football tonight and MM really had no answer. Donoher is some class player but got absolutely no protection from the ref. As a semi neutral I would suggest it bordered on scandalous what was happening to him.  O Flynn Dunne and the sub Doyle look like seriously good prospects. They'll be comfortable in senior I'd imagine

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 29, 2018, 09:29:53 PM
Delighted for Courtwood, and delighted for the integrity of the IFC.
Mountmellick are reaping what they sowed.

They have essentially become sellswords, to use a certain lingo!

The integrity of the IFC ? a bit of a reach here, nice to see Courtwood win the IFC but Mountmellick have done nothing wrong.  They of course need to work on their juvenile setup.  I was not at the game but sounds like Courtwood have a decent team.