Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

We need more good football men, not rugby men.

topofthesoil

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 17, 2019, 10:57:20 AM

incorrect. The sport is evolving and teams need to jump on the wagon or else they'll miss the bus. Obviously to an extent. Doesnt matter what the background sport of an S&C coach is, if hes good at what he does it doesnt matter if he played gaelic or not, its about the physicality, fitness and injury prevention, his job is not to coach the team.

skeog

toby47

Hence Ulster rugby took Peter Donnelly who is not from a Rugby background. Dublin had Bernard Dunne in their set up a few years ago who was a professional boxer, they also had a basketball coach. Kieran Donaghy was involved with Galway hurlers this year. Oisin McConville worked with Laois hurlers..the list goes on.

trueblue1234

Quote from: topofthesoil on September 17, 2019, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 17, 2019, 10:57:20 AM

incorrect. The sport is evolving and teams need to jump on the wagon or else they'll miss the bus. Obviously to an extent. Doesnt matter what the background sport of an S&C coach is, if hes good at what he does it doesnt matter if he played gaelic or not, its about the physicality, fitness and injury prevention, his job is not to coach the team.

No no, PD is not replaceable. He was the mastermind of all Tyrone's wins and had nothing to do with their losses. Or something along those lines.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: toby47 on September 17, 2019, 11:43:09 AM
Hence Ulster rugby took Peter Donnelly who is not from a Rugby background. Dublin had Bernard Dunne in their set up a few years ago who was a professional boxer, they also had a basketball coach. Kieran Donaghy was involved with Galway hurlers this year. Oisin McConville worked with Laois hurlers..the list goes on.

Fair enough but, if you listen to the players, it's clear that Peter Donnelly was much more than just an S&C coach. He was heavily involved in the pitch training sessions and you can see and hear him on the touchline during matches instructing players where they should be positioned defensively.

So this new guy may well be an expert S&C coach but he will not be able to replicate the other bits that Donnelly brought to the table.

For what it's worth, if options were to keep Donnelly on in a part time basis or replace him with somebody doing the job full-time, then I think we made the right call to replace him. But I would like to think we will also be adding more football-specific know-how to the management set-up. And I'd be disappointed if that means Mark Harte.

Under Lights

Quote from: topofthesoil on September 17, 2019, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 17, 2019, 11:51:46 AM
Quote from: toby47 on September 17, 2019, 11:43:09 AM

Fair enough but, if you listen to the players, it's clear that Peter Donnelly was much more than just an S&C coach. He was heavily involved in the pitch training sessions and you can see and hear him on the touchline during matches instructing players where they should be positioned defensively.

So this new guy may well be an expert S&C coach but he will not be able to replicate the other bits that Donnelly brought to the table.

For what it's worth, if options were to keep Donnelly on in a part time basis or replace him with somebody doing the job full-time, then I think we made the right call to replace him. But I would like to think we will also be adding more football-specific know-how to the management set-up. And I'd be disappointed if that means Mark Harte.

Few name mentioned, but i will not mention them on this. Was clear Tyrone (not the players) wanted him out, or didnt see him as significant or important as he is hence why he was let go

One very surprising name, hes only 27 like.

Angelo

Will we ever see Conor McKenna back playing Championship football for Tyrone?

I fully believe if he stuck around we would have been in a few more All Ireland finals in the past number of years and possibly have won one.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Angelo on September 20, 2019, 01:15:47 PM
Will we ever see Conor McKenna back playing Championship football for Tyrone.

I fully believe if he stiluck around we would have been in a few more All Ireland finals in the past number of years and possibly have won one.

Can't see it. It will only happen if he falls out of favour at Essedon and can't get another club, which is a long way off at the moment as he seems to be playing well.

As much as I would love to see it, he would need his head checked to give up a professional lifestyle to come home and live in Eglish

Pearse Blue

Will we ever see Conor McKenna back playing Championship football for Tyrone?

I fully believe if he stuck around we would have been in a few more All Ireland finals in the past number of years and possibly have won one.
2nd person knowledge here but I heard he was chatting at a school prize giving or something like it and mentioned he sees himself back from Australia when the current contract is up   

Pearse Blue

Quote from: topofthesoil on September 22, 2019, 11:44:24 PM
At least we have some clarity from the weekend, Errigal pay several officals. Its ot the worst of it,  ill not even get started abour loughmacrory. Grimes in for a tyrone call up surely.
Jordan barton wouldnt make a division 3 reserve team by the sounds of things
Grimes could face the the Harte tradition like many before him (hampsey and the likes) where he hasn't got a clean rap sheet in club and therefore Harte doesn't want him.. But in reality its what Tyrone need because they are currently soft boys

TabClear

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 20, 2019, 01:55:22 PM

I fully believe if he stiluck around we would have been in a few more All Ireland finals in the past number of years and possibly have won one.

Can't see it. It will only happen if he falls out of favour at Essedon and can't get another club, which is a long way off at the moment as he seems to be playing well.

As much as I would love to see it, he would need his head checked to give up a professional lifestyle to come home and live in Eglish

Cant see it either. Hes playing really well over there and the media love him. He has a bit of an x Factor as far as they are concerned. Well worth checking out a clip of his solo dummy this year and the Aussie media reaction to it.

trailer

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 20, 2019, 01:55:22 PM

Fixed that.

inroundthesquare

Former Antrim star and highly regarded coach Kevin Madden is to join Tyrone's backroom team.

Confirming Madden's arrival on the Tyrone scene, manager Mickey Harte said: "He's joining our backroom team for the 2020 season and we're all very pleased to have him.

"He's a broad-based coach, he coaches the entirety of the game, and he has managed clubs himself.

"He knows what the game is all about, and what he writes endorses that view, and we're delighted to have him."

Madden has been in high demand as a coach at club and county level in recent seasons.

He spent two years as assistant to Derry boss Damian Cassidy, and at club level, worked with former Antrim boss Liam Bradley at Glenullin, winning a Derry SFC title in 2007.

He has also coached Dungiven in Derry, and managed Creggan to last year's Antrim SFC final.

on the sideline

Quote from: inroundthesquare on September 23, 2019, 09:28:22 PM
Former Antrim star and highly regarded coach Kevin Madden is to join Tyrone's backroom team.

Confirming Madden's arrival on the Tyrone scene, manager Mickey Harte said: "He's joining our backroom team for the 2020 season and we're all very pleased to have him.

"He's a broad-based coach, he coaches the entirety of the game, and he has managed clubs himself.

"He knows what the game is all about, and what he writes endorses that view, and we're delighted to have him.".

Madden has been in high demand as a coach at club and county level in recent seasons.

He spent two years as assistant to Derry boss Damian Cassidy, and at club level, worked with former Antrim boss Liam Bradley at Glenullin, winning a Derry SFC title in 2007.

He has also coached Dungiven in Derry, and managed Creggan to last year's Antrim SFC final.

Given the amount of high quality and highly regarded coaches within Tyrone I am shocked at that appointment.