Kerry Championship system

Started by tiempo, March 19, 2019, 09:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Dublin more teams than most outside Cork. I u don't see their junior and intermediate course teams rake it as they put in the relevant team at that level

From the Bunker

kerryforsam19

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 29, 2019, 08:53:39 AM
And I believe Kenmare Shamrocks is the club, Kenmare is the divisional side?

Kenmare District is the divisional side.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2019, 03:54:31 PM
The Kerry system works!

It does work. Don't let your bitterness get in the way. Kerry is decimated with people emigration and great to see players from small clubs win some silverware . Maybe your county should adopt the Kerry model. Also a team championship status shouldn't be decided what league they're in. County players see very or little action in the county leagues.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on March 27, 2019, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2019, 10:15:14 AM
The problem is not with Kerry. There's absolutely nothing to stop other counties having only 8 senior clubs if that's what suits their county. Personally I think winning intermediate and junior club All-Ireland's is well down the list of priorities and certainly not why Kerry's system is designed in this fashion. They use it to maximise the meaningful games each player gets.

Nail on head.

I'd abolish the intermediate and junior club All-Irelands. They are contrived and meaningless competitions that effectively reward strong clubs who get relegated. Cavan Gaels almost got relegated to intermediate in 2016 and the next year ended up getting to the Ulster Senior Club Final. Had they lost their relegation playoff, they would have probably won the All Ireland intermediate in 2017. What good would that have been to anyone?

Not really a great example there, Cavan Gaels benefitted from a handy draw in Ulster playing the Antrim and Fermanagh champions and were beaten quite routinely by Slaughtneil in the final. I'm not sure they'd have came out of Ulster that year at intermediate level and I'm not sure that they'd have fared out to well in the AI series if they did.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

magpie seanie

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on April 02, 2019, 10:34:38 PM
The Kerry system works!

It does work. Don't let your bitterness get in the way. Kerry is decimated with people emigration and great to see players from small clubs win some silverware . Maybe your county should adopt the Kerry model. Also a team championship status shouldn't be decided what league they're in. County players see very or little action in the county leagues.

Exactly right. There's no way a clubs championship status should be decided by games where they aren't entitled to field all their players. That's why the rules relating to this were changed a good few years ago.

The Kerry system is fantastic.

five points

Quote from: Angelo on April 02, 2019, 11:49:57 PM
Not really a great example there, Cavan Gaels benefitted from a handy draw in Ulster playing the Antrim and Fermanagh champions and were beaten quite routinely by Slaughtneil in the final. I'm not sure they'd have came out of Ulster that year at intermediate level and I'm not sure that they'd have fared out to well in the AI series if they did.

If some of the teams playing in the provincial and All Ireland intermediate championships really are stronger than some of the teams playing in the corresponding senior championships, that should raise questions too.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2019, 04:06:14 PM
The Kerry system works!

Exactly right. There's no way a clubs championship status should be decided by games where they aren't entitled to field all their players. That's why the rules relating to this were changed a good few years ago.

Yeah. We're slowly moving in that direction here too. Kilmaine who are junior are in Division 2 whereas Davitts who are senior are in Division 3 of our leagues.

I do believe in time most of the league games will be played without county players in Mayo, obviously if the county are knocked out the players will become available again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

galwayman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 03, 2019, 08:25:48 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2019, 04:06:14 PM
The Kerry system works!

Yeah. We're slowly moving in that direction here too. Kilmaine who are junior are in Division 2 whereas Davitts who are senior are in Division 3 of our leagues.

I do believe in time most of the league games will be played without county players in Mayo, obviously if the county are knocked out the players will become available again.
Counties simply have to start playing off their leagues without county players.
You can't have club players idle and not even playing league games because county lads aren't available.
The penny seems to have finally dropped in Galway anyway and now the league games this year seem to be fixed regardless of whether county lads are available or not.
It makes total sense as a clubs championship grading is not in any way determined by their league standing.
The league and championships have only been separated in Galway football anyway since about 2011-2012.
Up to that you had senior, intermediate, junior A etc league as well as championship.
If you were relegated you went down for both league and championship.

Ball Hopper

Kerry Club Championships finished today.

Senior winners: Austin Stacks (Div 1)

Intermediate winners: Templenoe (Div 1) Relegated: Brosna (Div 2)

Premier Junior winners: Na Gaeil (Div 1) Relegated Lispole (Div 3)

Junior winners: Ballyduff (Div 5)

The only fixture remaining is the Senior Relegation Final between Rathmore and Kilcummin.  This will not be played until the County Championship is in the later stages as a Club that makes the County Final cannot be relegated from Senior ranks.

LooseCannon

What's the story with Kenmare District now?
Isn't it supposed to be Kenmare Shamrocks, Templenoe and Kilgarvan? Two of those teams are now senior. It shouldn't affect this year's competition, but what happens next year? Are Kilgarvan pegged in with another combination?