FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I thought Whelan was one of the better players last night also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hound

Whelan was, by a country mile, our best midfielder over the 2 games. Although 6.5/10 was enough to achieve that.

Seanie, Hourihane was very poor v Georgia, hence deservedly dropped. Albeit must have been a close call between himself and Hendrick.

lurganblue

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 16, 2019, 11:51:11 AM
I don't watch our national team a lot but saw the whole thing last night. Was pretty surprised by several aspects of it. Mostly the experienced players who were absolutely awful. Coleman, McClean, Hendrick - all lads I've seen perform very well in the past were seriously bad last night. They looked pretty clueless at times. Randolph, Duffy, Egan and Glenn Whelan were our best players. Stevens was ok. Most of the rest I'd rather not talk about. Felt sorry for Aaron Connolly. Absolutely no support from the players around him, moved round different positions and then taken off for a guy whose main successes have been in League 2 and the Northern Premier League Div1. He wasn't playing all that well but you could see there's a bit about him and he could nick a goal. The Swiss weren't all that comfortable when balls were thrown into the box....I'd have left him on.

Can't understand why Shane Long isn't in this squad. He won't get many goals but surely he's better than some of these journeymen who don't score goals either. What about Hourihane? I didn't hear he was injured?

No not injured. Pictures of him out doing a bit of a session on the pitch by himself after the game.  I'm sure he's ragin.  A player in decent form, quality on set pieces and an eye for a goal left sitting on the bench.

magpie seanie

Quote from: NAG1 on October 16, 2019, 12:01:31 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 16, 2019, 11:51:11 AM
I don't watch our national team a lot but saw the whole thing last night. Was pretty surprised by several aspects of it. Mostly the experienced players who were absolutely awful. Coleman, McClean, Hendrick - all lads I've seen perform very well in the past were seriously bad last night. They looked pretty clueless at times. Randolph, Duffy, Egan and Glenn Whelan were our best players. Stevens was ok. Most of the rest I'd rather not talk about. Felt sorry for Aaron Connolly. Absolutely no support from the players around him, moved round different positions and then taken off for a guy whose main successes have been in League 2 and the Northern Premier League Div1. He wasn't playing all that well but you could see there's a bit about him and he could nick a goal. The Swiss weren't all that comfortable when balls were thrown into the box....I'd have left him on.

Can't understand why Shane Long isn't in this squad. He won't get many goals but surely he's better than some of these journeymen who don't score goals either. What about Hourihane? I didn't hear he was injured?

Please tell me you are joking with this one MS?

Honestly! I couldn't believe it myself. Credit where it's due.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on October 16, 2019, 12:37:38 PM
Whelan was, by a country mile, our best midfielder over the 2 games. Although 6.5/10 was enough to achieve that.

Seanie, Hourihane was very poor v Georgia, hence deservedly dropped. Albeit must have been a close call between himself and Hendrick.

Didn't see much of the Georgia game but I'd have had him in ahead of several guys that played last night.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Watcher on October 16, 2019, 06:29:33 AM
Lads ffs, Switzerland are at home to Georgia, not away. If they had to go to Tbilisi then you'd have an argument. You are correct but really, Switzerland will not drop points at home to Georgia with qualification resting on it.
Ireland beat Denmark and they'll be through.

Switzerland celebrated that win last night like they had already qualified for the Euros. Highly unlikely they will slip up in their remaining games but would be funny if Georgia nicked a draw v them.

oakleaflad

Whelan was easily the best of the central midfielders over the 2 games, not that it was hard. Anyone suggesting otherwise didn't watch the games. Hendrick was very poor.

mrdeeds

Yeah I thought Whelan was decent. Hendrick is a premier league player, holy fook.

BennyCake

Hendrick has been brutal since the Euros 3 years ago. Don't know how he continues to be picked.

Has James McCarthy recovered from injury yet? Not that he is any better than Hendrick.

lurganblue

Yes I believe he started the last couple of games for Palace.

Baile Brigín 2

Mick is sticking with what he knows and trusts, no risks taken. He has no incentive to bed down youth.

Upside is Kenny will gut that midfield and play the likes of Byrne, Cullen, Molumby and Coventry. Lads who can trap and pass a football. Huge changes coming. Only Randolf and Duffy are safe.

shark

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 16, 2019, 04:20:59 PM
Mick is sticking with what he knows and trusts, no risks taken. He has no incentive to bed down youth.

Upside is Kenny will gut that midfield and play the likes of Byrne, Cullen, Molumby and Coventry. Lads who can trap and pass a football. Huge changes coming. Only Randolf and Duffy are safe.

I'd say John Egan is safe for too.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: shark on October 16, 2019, 04:28:33 PM

I'd say John Egan is safe for too.
Fair. Keogh is done and he stepped up well. I think in 2 years time it will be a fundamentally different team and approach. If it works or not remains to be seen.

Ed Ricketts

That defeat to Iceland yesterday was as big a kick in the stones as the senior flop. The form of the U21s was really the only positive thing about Irish soccer recently, but expectations will have to be checked in the aftermath of such a result. Sweden beat that Iceland team 5-0 a few days earlier.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

rodney trotter

Richard Keogh sacked by Derby after failing to accept a wage cut. Why did he think he should be getting paid full wages while injured for 18 month?