Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 13, 2018, 10:25:47 AM
ill never understand teams that want the leagues constantly changed every single season just because it doesn't suit them.

theres no doubt that their proposal looks good but their motives leave a lot to be desired. the teams that won promotion should all have that honoured and those relegated this year should stay the same.

Also, we are wasting our time debating leagues, instead of coaching structures etc.

I would rather the same effort went into looking at the underage leagues to made sure they are still being effective at developing youth, rather than political games about senior leagues.

No other county changes / debates changing their leagues as Antrim does

outinfront

What is all this 1a/b/2a/b nonsense?  Call it what it is Div 1,2,3,4.
Teams have earned the right to be where they are next year.  I agree with a previous poster, any new proposals should take place the following year, or at least should not affect rightly promoted teams.

Belfast GAA man

Are St Pauls not just trying to pull a fast one here?
GNM and St Brigids battled to get promoted to the top tier and this proposal would put them in the 2nd tier - brass neck St Pauls and should be laughed out the door

City Dweller

Quote from: inabsentia on November 13, 2018, 10:47:19 AM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 13, 2018, 09:31:53 AM
Quote from: inabsentia on November 13, 2018, 09:23:13 AM
The real problem is that St Pauls proposal is a good one, but done for the wrong reasons. I think if it were implemented this year coming they'd have to be some sort of playoff so the likes of St Pats aren't shafted. But who wants to play a crucial game to define their year before anythings started.
It could be implemented but taken into account the finishing positions with promotion/relegation taking place before being applied.
Rossa/Glenavy swapped with Gort na Mona/St Brigids
St Paul's/O'Donnell's swapped with Glenravel/Lisburn

St Paul's would still be in the bottom league which they wouldn't like but it is the only fair place to take with the teams in the promotion/relegation places. Tough suppose it has no impact on the current Div 1/Div 2 as they would be in St Paul's new proposed 1B.

Well it wouldn't affect Rossa/Glenavy as the top 3 leagues would look like this.

1A
Creggan
Galls
Cargin   
Johnnies
LD
PG1
Ednas
AG

1B
Ahoghill
T's
Rossa
Glenavy
Gort
Brigids
Randalstown
Aldergrove

2A
Moneyglass
Dunloy
Ballymena
Sarsfields
Davitts
Rasharkin
Pauls
O'D's

The only teams it affects are Lisburn and Glenravel

I disagree, it effects a lot more .. what about Div 1 Clubs who would effectively relegated? Teresas and Ahoghill? GNM and St Brigids don't get promoted don't get to play the "top" teams

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Kickham csc on November 13, 2018, 11:08:10 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 13, 2018, 10:25:47 AM
ill never understand teams that want the leagues constantly changed every single season just because it doesn't suit them.

theres no doubt that their proposal looks good but their motives leave a lot to be desired. the teams that won promotion should all have that honoured and those relegated this year should stay the same.

Also, we are wasting our time debating leagues, instead of coaching structures etc.

I would rather the same effort went into looking at the underage leagues to made sure they are still being effective at developing youth, rather than political games about senior leagues.

No other county changes / debates changing their leagues as Antrim does

nail on the head!

thats where the time and effort should be put into rather than fannying about changing senior leagues to suit peoples own interests.
hurl like f**k boi!

inabsentia

Quote from: outinfront on November 13, 2018, 11:11:20 AM
Teams have earned the right to be where they are next year.  I agree with a previous poster, any new proposals should take place the following year, or at least should not affect rightly promoted teams.

I don't understand all this stuff about top tier. They're still moving up in effect as they'll be playing with 2 teams better than them and frankly relegated/promoted teams are usually close enough in ability. But by that logic we can't ever change the leagues because then someone will lose out getting to the "top tier". The league structures are broken and need to be addressed. Like I said previously, St Pauls are doing the right thing for the wrong reasons but the new proposed div 1 with those teams is about right.

Christmas Lights

Whats wrong with the 3 league system?  It worked fine this past couple of years has it not?

Kickham csc

Quote from: inabsentia on November 13, 2018, 12:05:09 PM

I don't understand all this stuff about top tier. They're still moving up in effect as they'll be playing with 2 teams better than them and frankly relegated/promoted teams are usually close enough in ability. But by that logic we can't ever change the leagues because then someone will lose out getting to the "top tier". The league structures are broken and need to be addressed. Like I said previously, St Pauls are doing the right thing for the wrong reasons but the new proposed div 1 with those teams is about right.

Can someone please explain how the leagues are broken?

Leagues are there to determine standings, from 1st to last in the county. And the Antrim leagues do that.

If a club wants to progress, it needs to focus on youth development and build from the ground up.

If a team is too good for one league, but not good enough for the league above, then they need to focus on raising their standards. The league structure works. If we look at Div 1 over the past 20 odd years, the following teams have all moved up the ranges to the top table (and some have gone down rebuilt and come back up)
1A
Creggan
PG1
Ednas
AG
Ahoghill
T's
Brigids
Aldergrove
Ballymena

The same is prob true between Div 2/3. Stop changing the leagues, lets get serious about youth development

themac_23

Quote from: inabsentia on November 13, 2018, 12:05:09 PM

Actually the top 2 leagues are fine, the 1 league where there is a massive gulf in class is the bottom division which their proposal doesn't actually address, it's literally just smacks of 'how do we save ourselves'

Hectic

Quote from: inabsentia on November 13, 2018, 10:47:19 AM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 13, 2018, 09:31:53 AM
Quote from: inabsentia on November 13, 2018, 09:23:13 AM
The real problem is that St Pauls proposal is a good one, but done for the wrong reasons. I think if it were implemented this year coming they'd have to be some sort of playoff so the likes of St Pats aren't shafted. But who wants to play a crucial game to define their year before anythings started.
It could be implemented but taken into account the finishing positions with promotion/relegation taking place before being applied.
Rossa/Glenavy swapped with Gort na Mona/St Brigids
St Paul's/O'Donnell's swapped with Glenravel/Lisburn

St Paul's would still be in the bottom league which they wouldn't like but it is the only fair place to take with the teams in the promotion/relegation places. Tough suppose it has no impact on the current Div 1/Div 2 as they would be in St Paul's new proposed 1B.

Well it wouldn't affect Rossa/Glenavy as the top 3 leagues would look like this.

1A
Creggan
Galls
Cargin   
Johnnies
LD
PG1
Ednas
AG

1B
Ahoghill
T's
Rossa
Glenavy
Gort
Brigids
Randalstown
Aldergrove

2A
Moneyglass
Dunloy
Ballymena
Sarsfields
Davitts
Rasharkin
Pauls
O'D's

The only teams it affects are Lisburn and Glenravel

What about the teams that finished 9th amd 10th in Div 1 had they known there was top flight to play for. Or teams that finished 5th and 6th in Div 2 that would now be competing to get into div 2 next season as opposed to fighting to get into Div 1? Div 2 a really competitive league that is hard to call at the beginning of the season. Lot more teams impacted than initially appears.

bannside

I'm in favour of a league system that means every game is really competitive. Three divisions of 8 (call them what they are div 1 2 and 3) would see 14 game league's (2 less than at present) and with 2 up and 2 down it would be ultra competitive.

I'd that's what ut takes for Antrim club football to get to a higher level then that could only be good in the long run. The top two dominance of St Galls and Cargin for so long meant other clubs didn't feel their efforts would be rewarded, but now that things are levelling out a bit, div 1 would be keenly contested as would divs two and 3. Every game would  like a mini championship match in effort.

Having said that, I would wait a year until it is implemented and give clubs fair warning of the intent.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on November 13, 2018, 03:33:48 PM
I'm in favour of a league system that means every game is really competitive. Three divisions of 8 (call them what they are div 1 2 and 3) would see 14 game league's (2 less than at present) and with 2 up and 2 down it would be ultra competitive.

I'd that's what ut takes for Antrim club football to get to a higher level then that could only be good in the long run. The top two dominance of St Galls and Cargin for so long meant other clubs didn't feel their efforts would be rewarded, but now that things are levelling out a bit, div 1 would be keenly contested as would divs two and 3. Every game would  like a mini championship match in effort.

Having said that, I would wait a year until it is implemented and give clubs fair warning of the intent.

We won 13 out of 14  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: bannside on November 13, 2018, 03:33:48 PM

Thats it in a nutshell. I dont mind change for the better, in fact I am all for it. But this slippy nonsense of changing at this stage for self preservation is bullshit. Even to accept the proposal but on the basis of where teams are due to begin next year i.e. St Pauls in bottom tier still does a disservice to teams that a place higher in their league would mean playing in a higher division next season. Bring it in for 2020 for sure but even at that would have to be on the basis of the 2 teams finishing bottom of Div 2 going into the bottom tier in place of the top 2 in division 3. Otherwise division 3 next year may as well not be played.

bannside

Trivia Question. Which player(s) would have the greatest set of medals in the history of Antrim club football?

imtommygunn

Guess...

Terry O'Neill (minor/u21/senior football)

though he doesn't play hurling

so maybe either...

CJ McGourty of Kieran. (Kieran a bit older so less underage but maybe more senior?)