Failure

Started by Pangurban, December 01, 2006, 02:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

The story of the GAA is largely one of success, there is however one area in which it has monumentally failed. The stated aims of our founders, which are still contained within our constitution, include a committment to promote the ancient game of Rounders. I am not aware of any current Rounders competitions, i do  not know anyone who plays the game, apart from children inthe school-yard, have never heard this sport mentioned in any GAA forum, so why do we persist with this patently absurd pretention. What led the founding fathers to consider it a national sport worth preserving, was there just too much strong drink taken in Hayes Hotel.

never kickt a ball

I think there is a move somewhere to promote rounders again. As long as it doesn't end up going round in circles?

charlie linkbox

It's regrettable that the GAA doesn't seem to bat an eyelid where the promotion of rounders is concerned.

NKAB are we going to start this again??? ;D

never kickt a ball

No Charlie you're out with this one.
Got this from gaa.ie:
Rounders is one of the four official GAA sports. Along with Gaelic Football, Hurling and Handball, Rounders was included in the original GAA charter back in 1884. Rounders is a bat and ball game and is not that dis-similar to baseball. Indeed it is now generally accepted that Baseball is derived from Rounders in some form or other, as it has been played in this islands for a couple of hundred years now and was probably brought over to America by the early settlers.Rounders can and is played by all age groups, from National school children all the way up to and including senior level. There are also mixed teams, and both boys and girls, men and women can play on the same team. As Rounders is a limited contact sport it is perfect for both recreational and competitive play. It also draws on a different set of skills than the conventional GAA games and is very good for developing hand eye coordination.
Rounders is played all over the country and is strongest in counties Carlow, Cavan, Derry, Dublin, Laois, Limerick, Mayo, Monaghan and Wexford. It is played extensively in Nationals Schools and is also one of the sports promoted by The Community Games.

The Rounders Council of Ireland (Comhairle Cluiche Corr na hEireann), are based in Croke Park, and further information called be found at rounders.gaa.ie

stephenite

I'd be more concerned about the shoddy promotion of handball, especially the bullying tactics used by Croke park over the building at the back of the Cusack Stand

never kickt a ball

QuoteAs Rounders is a limited contact sport it is perfect for both recreational and competitive play

Hold on maybe we could take on the aussies at this? Any thoughts?

never kickt a ball

QuoteThere are also mixed teams, ........ men and women can play on the same team
This is getting interesting. Pity it's a limited contact sport though :(

charlie linkbox

Rounders strong in Monaghan???
Dunno about that. As a Monaghan native I can't say I'm aware of anywhere it's played there.

charlie linkbox

I'm sure it's like touch rugby NKAB. I played on a mixed touch team and heaven forbid a stray hand went somewhere it shouldn't. ;)

never kickt a ball

QuoteIndeed it is now generally accepted that Baseball is derived from Rounders in some form or other, as it has been played in this islands for a couple of hundred years now and was probably brought over to America by the early settlers
Don't you just love that. We started baseball. Wonder what Babe Ruth thought of that. Maybe that cricket theory was right after all. Please accept my apologies for all the puns.

never kickt a ball

QuoteAll Star Banquet
06/11/2006
The 2006 group of Rounders All Stars will receive their awards at a dinner in Longford Slashers Gaelic Athletic Club, in Longford town, on Saturday 18/11/2006. There are still some tickets available, and these can be purchased at 35 Euroes each

There you go Pan. probably stuffed with people from Carlow, Cavan, Derry, Dublin, Laois, Limerick, Mayo, Monaghan??? and Wexford. I knew it was on the horizon somewhere and I think there will be grants soon to promote it soon. Anybody out there who was at this banquet/ What was it like etc?

never kickt a ball

Quote2008 season to be a memorable year in the GAA Calender. Rounders units are expected to celebrate the Golden Jubilee year, fifty years from the first official modern GAA Rounders match. Ideas for commorative events to be sent to Rúnaí, Comhairle Cluiche Corr, Páirc an Chrócaigh.

In for a busy year in 2007 preparing for the golden Jubilee.

lynchbhoy

I always thought rounders was originally an English game?

I played it in England as a kid, never seen or heard of it here though (Ireland)...

youbetterbelieveit

ah sure i played it in college for a while, ( well there was some very tasty ladies attending at the time) its abit of fun anyway.

never kickt a ball

I always thought baseball was originally an American game Lynchboy?