GAA enlist top advisor on TV deal

Started by ziggysego, August 27, 2007, 01:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

QuoteThe GAA have employed a top English based consultant as they seek to maximise their revenue from TV rights.

Croker chiefs have turned to Mark Oliver, of London based Oliver & Ohlbaum, one of the best media planners in the UK. Oliver has taken over the role for the GAA as its main man in the ongoing negotiation process regarding the forthcoming radio and TV contracts which are due to be streamlined next November.

Oliver has come on board after building up a relationship with the GAA's Marketing Manager Dermot Power over the course of the last six years.

"We would hope to get the new contracts in place at the end of October," Power explained.

"It certainly won't be like in the past when a new deal was announced two weeks before the start of the championship."

Sourced Hoganstand.com: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=82443
Testing Accessibility

Aerlik

Could this be the start of the proper "internationalising" of the GAA?  Our games are fast, exciting and high-scoring so it could be argued they are perfect for a TV audience.  The downside might be the introduction of the TV umpire as in rugby (both codes).  Mind you, it might be the start of Fox Sports getting in on the act (another no-no)...if they can show speedway from Copenhagen( :-\) on a regular basis then there is hope.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

thebandit

We have a product that could be marketed on a worldwide (diaspora) basis. Maybe now we will be able to do so.

orangeman

Sorry boys but the way I read this ( In the Independent ) it was more a case of the  GAA getting more from RTE and getting more from Setanta - I dont think it is seen as a worldwide thing at all - more the domestic market.

Square Ball

what would the impact be on the local market, RTE may be out bid by, sky for example, any GAA may have to be viewed on sky/ntl or what ever, would this be a good deal?

I wonder what they will go after, the highest bidder or whats best for the game, and IMHO the two dont go hand in hand
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

orangeman

I believe the idea is to keep ALL the big matches on RTE but farm out a lot of the qualifiers / National League games to Setanta - I don't think Sky comes into the equation.

pintsofguinness

Id be concerned that "Mark Oliver, of London based Oliver & Ohlbaum, one of the best media planners in the UK" won't give a shite if if wee paddy or Mary in the arsehole of no where can't see the games.  they've already excluded the north from their plans, what else?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Do we as members not have a vote Pints ? Or would that be too much like a democracy ? I konw what you're saying ok .

pintsofguinness

Quote from: orangeman on August 27, 2007, 11:38:41 AM
Do we as members not have a vote Pints ? Or would that be too much like a democracy ? I konw what you're saying ok .
We've never had a say before.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?