Quiz and Novelty Act gone from Scor!

Started by theticklemister, August 19, 2013, 05:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

I know there is at least one county that is going to run the novelty actvat least a county level. Surely common sense will prevail and thr decision will be reversed!!!

amallon

I've seen a lot of novelty acts at county and Ulster level and they are mostly crap.  The same tired old jokes rehashed all the time, unbearable stuff.

I did the Scór quiz for the guts of a decade and am not surprised it has been separated.  The dancers and the musicians who make up most of the audience find the quiz boring.

The two dance categories, balad group, instrumental music and solo singing are similar enough that they will attract people who will be happy enough to sit and watch what will be a nights entertainment for them.  It wouldn't be my cup of tea but everyone has their personal preferences.

The right call in my view.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Oldira

Quote from: amallon on August 23, 2013, 03:33:49 PM
I've seen a lot of novelty acts at county and Ulster level and they are mostly crap.  The same tired old jokes rehashed all the time, unbearable stuff.

I did the Scór quiz for the guts of a decade and am not surprised it has been separated.  The dancers and the musicians who make up most of the audience find the quiz boring.

The two dance categories, balad group, instrumental music and solo singing are similar enough that they will attract people who will be happy enough to sit and watch what will be a nights entertainment for them.  It wouldn't be my cup of tea but everyone has their personal preferences.

I find the recitation boring but would not be in favour of scrapping it.  In fairness any written format quiz is very boring for a spectator which is why the quiz should go back to an oral one with 5 seconds to answer any question. That would speed the thing up.

5 Sams

Quote from: Oldira on August 23, 2013, 03:55:13 PM
Quote from: amallon on August 23, 2013, 03:33:49 PM

I find the recitation boring but would not be in favour of scrapping it.  In fairness any written format quiz is very boring for a spectator which is why the quiz should go back to an oral one with 5 seconds to answer any question. That would speed the thing up.

I have also participated in the quiz for as long as I care to remember. I think that the decision to do away with the oral answers was to do with the fact that clubs were struggling to get people who were willing to walk to a microphone in the middle of a stage in a packed hall and make an eejit of themselves by getting a simple question wrong.
The Aristocrat Years

downgirl

I haven't been involved in scór for 5 or 6 years now and I was only ever involved in the instrumental music section but I did enjoy watching the novelty acts.  Being honest by the time the quiz came around I was just wanting to hear whether we had gotten through to the next round but at the same time I did learn a few facts here and there!

Scór na nÓg isn't far off, kids who have started into their novelty act rehearsals now won't get their chance to act it out.  Why is this decision only being made now?  If people had these opinions on it before, why didn't they get it abolished sooner (as in after the scór 2013 finals...about 4 months ago)? 

Scór competitors, clubs which participate in any aspect of scór and club cultural officers should have been consulted about this decision.

Between this and the fact that certain clubs always seem to get through rounds no matter what (maybe not the case in every county) to someone who wasn't a judge changing the score sheet so a certain club could get through to the next round I have to say I'm glad I'm not part of this farce anymore.

Champion The Wonder Horse

I agree with the decision to remove both the quiz agus the novelty act from the scor, neither being suited to the the scor format. Novelty Acts are always crap and there are much better alternatives for a GAA based quiz. The recitation is also pure dung and that should go too.

theticklemister

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 23, 2013, 10:20:13 PM
I agree with the decision to remove both the quiz agus the novelty act from the scor, neither being suited to the the scor format. Novelty Acts are always crap and there are much better alternatives for a GAA based quiz. The recitation is also pure dung and that should go too.

In Derry over the past few years (i missed this years) in Scor there have been on average 2 acts in for the novelty section. Glen always seemed to win but they deserved it and overall they play a massive part in all the sections. The quiz section in Derry has massive interest with a qualifying round to get to the final 4/5 teams  for the Scor final night. Of all the people I know who go to the Scor their big interest is in the quiz. I do think it is not long enough however.

JP

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 23, 2013, 10:20:13 PM

Ah sure the crap the all thing.

This was not a decision based on the ethos of the GAA. It was very much a top down decision with little or not consultation with people at the ground level. I personally don't get much enjoyment in watching the dancing. To be honest both dance competitions look the same to me. However, there are those that do and will attend the events to watch it. The same with the novelty act and the quiz, taking them away can only negatively effect attendance and put the future of the scor in doubt.