UK General election 2010

Started by mhacadoir, April 06, 2010, 10:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhacadoir

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8603591.stm

Will Sinn Féin and DUP lose many voters after the Robinson and Adams scandals?

Will SDLP/ Ulster Unionists and Conservative whatever they are called gain?

Will the TUV get any seats?

Does anyone really care?

Maiden1

Ulster Unionists made a big mistake joining the conservatives especially now that there only MP Silvia Herman has left because of it and she will probably get elected as an independent.

The BBC and media 'witch hunt' against the Robinsons might even help the DUP.  I have tried to make a joke with a couple of people of unionist persuasion about the Iris thing and it went down like a lead balloon.  They seem p1ssed off that Peter has to answer questions and is getting a hard time when his wife has been seen to be putting it about.  i.e.  They feel sorry for him.

I am not a fan of Labour but the Conservatives are a bunch of hateful toff c&*ts.  They look they getting in but I hope not.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Canalman

Personally hope Labour win. The Tories have a nasty edge to them and attract an obnoxious mé féiner type.
Think this will be a lot closer than people think.

maddog

Quote from: Canalman on April 06, 2010, 12:43:29 PM
Personally hope Labour win. The Tories have a nasty edge to them and attract an obnoxious mé féiner type.

I think Labour will get back in. There has been a lot of dissatisfaction with them (a lot of it about the economy which is a world issue) but when it comes to the crunch who in gods name would vote for that odious p***k Cameron.

lynchbhoy

cant see the conservatives lose

while people wont want to vote for cameron, equally as many or as little would want to vote for brown
(because of his 'personality' and that he is a jock more so than his recent political record)

oakleafgael

Would be hopeful that Labour will get the boot but it remains to be seen if the masses will vote for the Tories. Will be interesting to see how the BNP fare, especially with the stories in the press over the last week.

Maiden1

The bookies have the Conservatives as red hot favourites to be elected.  With a hung Parliament as second favourite and a Labour majority something like 14-1.  I read somewhere that in the key marginals that the Conservatives are ahead in a lot of them.  So even if conservatives are on 34% nationwide and Labour 33% as it is first past the post they only need to be ahead by 1 vote in all these marginals to take the seat.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

seafoid

It will probably be a hung parliament or else a narrow Conservative win which would be no better than a hung parliament. Remember all the trouble John Major had when he won an unexpected victory in 1992 and his majority died off one by one ? 

I can't really see any difference between Labour and the tories. In the old days Labour never would have gone to war against Iraq.  They support the PFI even more than the Tories do. So it's tweedledum and tweedledee.   

muppet

Quote from: maddog on April 06, 2010, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 06, 2010, 12:43:29 PM

I think Labour will get back in. There has been a lot of dissatisfaction with them (a lot of it about the economy which is a world issue) but when it comes to the crunch who in gods name would vote for that odious p***k Cameron.

I can't warm to him at all. He has the charisma of John Major, the like-ability of Margaret Thatcher and is as convincing as William Hague. Quite the package.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

The Sunday Times had the Tories 10pts ahead at the weekend, a significant jump from the 4/5pts their lead had been whittled down to.  As has been mentioned Lord Ashcroft (who really dropped them in it over a non-dom tax row) has been head of a campaign that has been targetting marginals and a lot of commentators believe that this will be huge, even a nationwide 4/5pt lead could return a relatively large tory majority because of this targetting.  Tories seem to be panicking a bit of late IMO.

I would buy the Times(UK) on a semi-daily basis and they have been in tory election mode for quite a while, which has pissed me off a bit as I like it as a paper.

Tony Baloney

If I was living over there it would be Conservatives all the way. The level of waste during this Labour government has been shocking. They've literally spent tens of billions on nothing of note.

bennydorano

The Tories are driving hard on the basis that they will tackle the deficit quicker than Labour, implement swingeing spending cuts while also producing un-costed policies such as marriage allowances, reversal of NI contibution rises, they are sending out mixed signals which could do them harm.  They also seem keen to run to experts who back up their Economic claims which are then refuted by the experts that Labour wheel out, pointless exercises that make them look sillly imo.

All governments are wasteful to an extent, just happens that if you agree with what they are tartgeting with their spending priorities you wont see it as wasteful and vice versa.  I'd like to see the military budget targeted, but it seems a taboo subject, as are the NHS and Education.  Labour have made many mistakes, but they would get my vote.

Farrandeelin

Do the UKIP run in this election or is it just in the European elections?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 06, 2010, 05:47:10 PM
Do the UKIP run in this election or is it just in the European elections?

Depending where you are based they do.  As well as the BNP or the Greens.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

T Fearon

The biggest issue in this election is the potential to see a staunchly nationalist area like Fermanagh S Tyrone pass into Unionist Control. and quite possibly Unionist/Conservative Control, if the Unionists (and I don't differentiate between any unionist, TUV,DUP.UCUNF,all bitter anti catholic cnuts) come up with an agreed candidate.

In this event surely the Stoops and Sinn Fein must respond in kind and ensure only one nationalist candidate stands and ensures this area is not misrepresented by any Unionist/Conservative