Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2014, 09:24:10 AM
2013 Tyrone reached the AI semi final, had no luck at all in the game, injuries, dodgy penalty etc. the minors reached the final, beaten narrowly. Hardly dross surely. Most counties would give their an arm, a leg and plenty more to be in that position.

Did Tyrone win - No.

2nd and below is nowhere and is not the standard of a top team which Tyrone believe themselves to be in although I very much doubt that myself. We have gone downhill big time since 2008. Yes, most counties would give up their arm and leg for that result in 2013 but most counties have not won 3 out of the last 10 AI and had Minor success also in that period. With the success we have had in recent years (since 2003) at all levels I believe we should be in a better position than we currently are - realistically we are not even in top 3 in Ulster any more therefore would struggle to get into most peoples top 10 for Ireland.

Quarterback

The argument off Harte staying or going will rumble on...Personally I feel Tyrone football needs a fresh face, fresh ideas and a renewed sense of vigour and pride.  The thing that worries me is talk that Harte's relationship with the players in non existent...surely this will have an effect on performance and desire....added to that the return of MC Carron - will it have a negative effect on the camp...?

Look at how they do things in Kerry...and this is important.  Apart from Paudi O' Se each manager has stayed no longer than 3 years at a time...they freshen things up...change the voice, change the players, change the ideas...This hasn't happened in Tyrone, we have stuck with Harte, let him control all football in the county, let him decide where our centre of excellence should be located (On top of a hill which no facilities to pre season fitness test) and we are afraid to challenge him and his ways...

Jack O Connor  2004-2006   2 AI and 2 Munster Titles
Pat O Shea  2007-2008       1 AI and 1 Munster Titles
Jack O Connor 2009-2012   1 AI and 2 Munster Titles
Eamon Fitzmaurice 2013 - ? 1 AI and 2 Munster Titles

4 Management Changes 5 All Irelands in 10 Years

longballin

Taking McCarron back smacks of absolute desperation.

nrico2006

When you look at the minor record of the past 10 years it is unreal that things are not better.  We go into another season with a huge hole at u-21 too.  Change is needed, and I don't think MH is going to change too much this year coming.  Another under-achieving season beckons.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2014, 09:24:10 AM
2013 Tyrone reached the AI semi final, had no luck at all in the game, injuries, dodgy penalty etc. the minors reached the final, beaten narrowly. Hardly dross surely. Most counties would give their an arm, a leg and plenty more to be in that position.

And if Sean Cavanagh had not of made 'that tackle' we'd have been out on our holes at the QF.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Onthe40

was interesting to hear Harte say on TG4 last week when interviewed that he was going to be more "hands on" this year and that his mgmt team is staying as currently is i.e. him, horse and Donnelly (donnelly having a role at all levels of course). Will that be enough to inspire the players? By all accounts his hands off approach with most players hasnt worked up to now, but then again was this not the way he operated even in the glory years when his interaction was really only with some of the key players. I have heard from a few sources that if next year is to be his last, he will pull out "all" stops to ensure tyrone get precedence over club football, more so than before.

On the McCarron thing, its going to divide the county, it is already..yes the mantra is - we should forgive and forget, but the apparent destruction this man has left behind leaves a big element of mistrust which cant be good for the camp.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Onthe40 on November 07, 2014, 11:23:21 AM
was interesting to hear Harte say on TG4 last week when interviewed that he was going to be more "hands on" this year and that his mgmt team is staying as currently is i.e. him, horse and Donnelly (donnelly having a role at all levels of course). Will that be enough to inspire the players? By all accounts his hands off approach with most players hasnt worked up to now, but then again was this not the way he operated even in the glory years when his interaction was really only with some of the key players. I have heard from a few sources that if next year is to be his last, he will pull out "all" stops to ensure tyrone get precedence over club football, more so than before.

On the McCarron thing, its going to divide the county, it is already..yes the mantra is - we should forgive and forget, but the apparent destruction this man has left behind leaves a big element of mistrust which cant be good for the camp.

I believe this is to be the case also - club football will be destroyed in Tyrone in 2015 - MH will issue ultimate pressure on players to focus on county only and will use other counties are prime examples of how it leads to success - Donegal, Kerry, Dublin, even Armagh. I think this year we will see limited access to our county players especially with a prelim game v Donegal in early May. If we use the normal 2 week rule then that means end of April / early May and with Easter in April next year we could see a scenario whereby only 2 or 3 A.C.L games played before Tyrone play Donegal.

GJL

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 07, 2014, 11:42:30 AM

I believe this is to be the case also - club football will be destroyed in Tyrone in 2015 - MH will issue ultimate pressure on players to focus on county only and will use other counties are prime examples of how it leads to success - Donegal, Kerry, Dublin, even Armagh. I think this year we will see limited access to our county players especially with a prelim game v Donegal in early May. If we use the normal 2 week rule then that means end of April / early May and with Easter in April next year we could see a scenario whereby only 2 or 3 A.C.L games played before Tyrone play Donegal.

You are making a good case for him.

Mikhailov

Quote from: GJL on November 07, 2014, 12:27:37 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on November 07, 2014, 11:42:30 AM

You are making a good case for him.

I think in fairness this is well known and every county manager would be aware that these counties don't really release their county players unless it is Championship or other important games. Some of these counties have a system whereby championship is not straight knockout so their players are released for minimum all championship games - read somewhere this week that one county actually has 2 groups of 6 for their championship with top 2 qualify for semi finals...Counties not releasing players has been ongoing for some time but I think this year MH will apply some real  pressure and it will be quite interesting to see what happens - our club scene is very competitive and clubs cant afford to be without their key players so will be a highly debatable issue when it comes around at county board level...I hope that all clubs stand their ground and refuse to allow county men more than 5 games absence

TF15

I think its more to do with the players rather than Harte that things have regressed. At the end of the day how many chances has a lot of these fringe players to get to they put down two good performances together. Suffocate their development?? The players aren't making it easy for him, no consistency whatsoever! Yes he probably makes it worse by changing the team regularly but boys like Kyle Coney and the forwards in general continue to dissapoint time after time and show no signs of developing any kind of consistency. They simply can't put two good games back to back. The group of the 00's was special, couldn't name 3 of the players under 28 who have the character of the men in them teams.

Fuzzman

I was out at a night at the dogs last night with our Tyrone Assoc Dublin and halfway through the meal I asked the table of 10 Who would ye pick as your new Tyrone Manager if Mickey was to step down.

Of course I just wanted to spark debate and get a bit of banter going but alas, I only got dirty looks and virtually nobody answered.
I think that on it's own shows how sad our situation has become. Nobody even wants to discuss football any more in case they'll offend somebody. We're definitely in a bad rut and with the underage talent being left to fall away and not develop is a terrible waste in my opinion
I'm not saying everything is Mickey's fault but by God he's not helping things

ose 14

when is someone in the county board going to force mr harte to toe the party line. the continued lack of communication interaction with clubs, players in the squad, the media and rte sends out a them and us message. or is it a deliberate protocol in terms of i dont know what im doing who knows. if we go back to 2008 every hound dog from ardboe to aghyaran knows that until caroline currid was brought into the squad to act as a go between the players and harte the players were jacking. we have not moved forward one dot since 2008. whos fault is that. lets just put the statue up in garvaghey for gods sake and be done with this current malaise. we need  a change of direction even if a 4th mckenna is secured god help us. its a known biological fact as you get older your aversion to risk increases.

Hoof Hearted

maybe i'm a bit nieve, but why cant he play for dromore anymore ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Redhand Santa

Any word of of trials taking place or who is at them? Could do with finding a few defenders, a midfield option or 2 and and a couple of half forwards forward for starters. Would be good to see mcmahons staying fit and making a big push next year. Justy looks in better shape than has for years. Will also be good to see Clarke back. In terms of players for trials I assume some of the following will be involved:

Mccarron
Swift (if staying home)
Gorman
Mark Bradley (looks to have bulked out a we bit but still very small, could even be worth a go at 11 anyway)
Meyler
Hugh Gallagher
Mcnulty
Walsh
Niall sludden
Burns (how's he progressing?)

Many others out there worth a go? Tierney from the Omagh games looks a real option at half back.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 10, 2014, 10:29:50 PM
Any word of of trials taking place or who is at them? Could do with finding a few defenders, a midfield option or 2 and and a couple of half forwards forward for starters. Would be good to see mcmahons staying fit and making a big push next year. Justy looks in better shape than has for years. Will also be good to see Clarke back. In terms of players for trials I assume some of the following will be involved:

Mccarron
Swift (if staying home)
Gorman
Mark Bradley (looks to have bulked out a we bit but still very small, could even be worth a go at 11 anyway)
Meyler
Hugh Gallagher
Mcnulty
Walsh
Niall sludden
Burns (how's he progressing?)

Many others out there worth a go? Tierney from the Omagh games looks a real option at half back.

I 'believe' Cathal McShane from our Club is up training with the senior squad.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone