Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Interesting (maybe) aside from all the quarreling over who are the dirtiest shower of bastards!

Armagh or Cavan are going to set a record on Sunday! They are the only Ulster counties to have competed in Ulster Senior Finals in every decade since the GAA was founded.  That record will be broken for one of them on Sunday. 

LCohen

Kick outs will be massive. Looking at the bit of the game before defender was red carded Cavan got to grips with our kick out early. They forced us to kick long into contested space and winning 50% of our kick outs. We only got 3 short uncontested kick outs away in that period. Critically there was no improvement when we had the man advantage.

We didn't contest the Cavan kick outs even with the man advantage. They had 14 short kick outs in the 70 mins. We contested 1. We won none (having committing a foul in the one we contested). We only forced them to kick long 3 times.

Our keeper takes stick and probably isn't blameless but the bigger picture is we need to give him better options and we need to make Cavan kick into contested space. Cavan pick of scores fro the possession we just let them have. This tactic needs to end now

APM

The concession of kickouts (particularly being a man up) is very frustrating.  Although Spillane highlighted Armagh's swarm tackle on Sunday evening, I thought Cavan were really strong at keeping possession finding space.  I wouldn't be giving them that possession so cheaply,

Look-Up!

Quote from: LCohen on June 06, 2019, 03:40:25 PM
Kick outs will be massive. Looking at the bit of the game before defender was red carded Cavan got to grips with our kick out early. They forced us to kick long into contested space and winning 50% of our kick outs. We only got 3 short uncontested kick outs away in that period. Critically there was no improvement when we had the man advantage.

We didn't contest the Cavan kick outs even with the man advantage. They had 14 short kick outs in the 70 mins. We contested 1. We won none (having committing a foul in the one we contested). We only forced them to kick long 3 times.

Our keeper takes stick and probably isn't blameless but the bigger picture is we need to give him better options and we need to make Cavan kick into contested space. Cavan pick of scores fro the possession we just let them have. This tactic needs to end now

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Geezer will change this. He likes structure and control and think forcing up on the kick outs and having a 50/50 contest for the ball near his own 65 with half his team in the Cavan half has too much of a lottery feel to it for his liking. He will trust his defenders to shackle Cavan and hope his forwards kick enough. He'll enjoy the chess game element to a game like that and will always back himself over another manager.

David McKeown

What's the rules on the concussion protocol in GAA. Is it the same as rugby ie is it likely that Burns will miss out this week?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Angelo

Quote from: David McKeown on June 06, 2019, 04:43:59 PM
What's the rules on the concussion protocol in GAA. Is it the same as rugby ie is it likely that Burns will miss out this week?

If it was documented as concussion then I think he would have to miss out. I read earlier in the week that Armagh were insisting he wasn't concussed so I'd imagine he will be available.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: LCohen on June 06, 2019, 03:40:25 PM

I found this absolutely baffling myself. McGeeney probably played on the fact so many players are 'safety first' and Mackay efforts on another day go wide or drop short (think he put one wide in ET) but thought it was a shocking error by him (and indeed the players).

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on June 06, 2019, 04:59:40 PM

If it was documented as concussion then I think he would have to miss out. I read earlier in the week that Armagh were insisting he wasn't concussed so I'd imagine he will be available.

I wasn't aware of that rule, all I can say is I was very close to where he came off and I could see from him he was concussed and badly concussed at that.

tonto1888

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 06, 2019, 01:07:35 PM
Now the dust has settled and we can view the game with cooler heads how do we see this one going? Expecting another tight physical battle. Not much between the two teams and whoever wins I really cannot see a particularly big margin. Armagh will feel they can play better. So do Cavan. Hopefully McKiernan will be back to full fitness and will have a big influence on things. If we can convert our free kicks better it will be worth an extra 3-4 points to us at least. Wonder will Graham spring any surprise additions to the panel with this in mind? Ciaran Brady will be a loss in defense and driving forward but needs to learn. It's very tough making that panel so it gives someone else a chance of reward for all the hard slog training wise.
Will Armagh set up similar and concede the kick outs. I think they will. McGeeney doesn't seem to like the element of risk and prefers to have an element of control over the factors. Think he will be happy to sit back in shape and soak up the attacks and then back his forwards to do enough to win it. Burns is a terrific player and will be crucial for Armagh. Hope he's ok for replay. Can Graham get better use out of Martin Reilly? Can the Cavan backs keep the shackles on the Armagh forwards again? I hope so. The extra week for Murnin could see him closer to full fitness though. All in all it makes for an intriguing contest and very hard one to call.
Referee watch. Think both sets of fans will be a bit nervous of what we're going to get in this department. Hopefully there are no major points of contention. What I liked about Cavan the last day was that they just got on with the game. Ball might have been moved on a few times for wrestling on the ground after the free but there was no serious mouthing to referee from players or sidelines. Previous years and maybe even in the early rounds of the league this year, we have had a tendency to turn refs against us especially from head cases on the sideline. Granted we didn't take advantage of any favours the ref done us but we didn't let the bad calls beat us. This mentality is vital in a team and hopefully it's a calming influence and maturity Graham has brought to us and we improve on it. End of the day if you're wishing the ref to win you a game you're not a serious championship team. Same with Armagh. They will look for whatever margins they can get but will get on with what type of game the ref is playing. Indeed both sets of management and players after the game never mentioned the ref and just complimented each other on a hard physical game. Don't expect the replay to be anything different. Good luck to both teams and may the best team win.

Agree with this. Despite the talk in here since Sunday it was a good game if football between two evenly matched teams. Will Sunday be the same? I'm not sure. I think we left it behind us but time will tell. Good luck to both teams but I'm hoping the Cavan lads aren't going home happy on Sunday

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on June 06, 2019, 07:01:34 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 06, 2019, 04:59:40 PM

I wasn't aware of that rule, all I can say is I was very close to where he came off and I could see from him he was concussed and badly concussed at that.
i hope our management aren't taking a chance with his health. Obv I'd love him to play. It if there is a chance he is concusses he should be nowhere near the game

balladmaker

Can anyone explain what Jarlath Og was at during two of the throw ins, one during normal time and the other during extra time when he went off.  He seemed to run straight into his team mate each time or maybe it just looked like that from where I was sitting.

Angelo

Quote from: balladmaker on June 06, 2019, 09:08:38 PM
Can anyone explain what Jarlath Og was at during two of the throw ins, one during normal time and the other during extra time when he went off.  He seemed to run straight into his team mate each time or maybe it just looked like that from where I was sitting.

For the injury that forced him off, he was backing off and taking a run up to claim the ball. The Cavan player was making a line for him to take him out when Grimely cut across him to stop him from doing so. Grimley then got shoved into Burns who went down awkwardly and suffered a knock to the head.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

dec

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/gaelic-games/48492752

On Sunday it was reported as "McCorry also confirmed that Jarlath Og Burns suffered a concussion at the start of extra-time."

tonto1888

Does t actually say he suffered concussion

Itchy

Don't I he was definitely concussed on the side line, legs were gone and he was all over the shop. I'm not saying you can't recover from concussion in a week but if best medical practice says you don't play for 14 days then he shouldn't be playing. It would say a lot about player welfare for me if some stroke or loophole is found to allow him play. But would any manager do that, risk their players health? I'd hope not.