Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on March 11, 2015, 07:55:13 AM
There's bound to be a youtube video on how to play like Kilkenny somewhere? :)

Not enough ex hurlers going back into their clubs to develop and improve the standards from low down across the board and maintain that desire to acheive up through senior IMO. Good enough is good enough for a lot of whingers until those who were supposedly good enough are found to be not good enough compared to the other counties. Should we really be as shocked as some people are making out?

From what I can see ex-hurlers are involved root and branch in their clubs - and fair dues. From kids up most sides are coached by former players (excepting some paid celebrity managers at senior).

However, I would question the hurling credentials of SOME of those involved in our county development squads. SOME are there for their own personal promotion and one wonders if a coaching certificate from a weekend course is really the most worthwhile of credentials. There's a cosy network of people in these positions and I'm not sure they are really furthering hurling.

Onbviously that doesn't apply to all and I personally know of hard working excellent hurling men there also.

theskull1

Would you mind elaborating on whats "cosy" about taking a development squad btdtgtt?

Could I also emphasis the "not enough" part of my previous post. Reading your reply it would seem you read it as "no ex hurlers".

Fair dues to them all eh? ...Jesus they're doing a great job? Until we find out we havent really collectively done enough to develop hurlers of the right calibre. Not enough quality because the quantity of coaching resource is too spread out both at county level and in clubs.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on March 11, 2015, 08:27:46 AM
Would you mind elaborating on whats "cosy" about taking a development squad btdtgtt?

Could I also emphasis the "not enough" part of my previous post. Reading your reply it would seem you read it as "no ex hurlers".

Fair dues to them all eh? ...Jesus they're doing a great job? Until we find out we havent really collectively done enough to develop hurlers of the right calibre. Not enough quality because the quantity of coaching resource is too spread out both at county level and in clubs.

How many coaches take sessions with juveniles on how to educate them on game plans , spacial awareness, discipline, tactics, and other areas of the game to give them another teaching/coaching method? Brief video analysis, doesn't have to be long but kids learn things so much differently now, then take it to the training field and try and implement it... Yes most will probably go off fo their own thing but some will buy into it.... Playing to a plan with 20 dedicated hurlers will reap benefits
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I don't think taking development squads is cosy and applaud anyone who gives time voluntarily.
What I do think is cosy - is the appointment of some paid positions.

No clarification needed - my post was the same - trying to make the point without generalising.

Yes fair dues to anyone who gives up time voluntarily. To be honest I think our clubs do quite well in using past players - sure where else would they get volunteers from. Obviosuly we would always want more and better quality coaches - but fair dues to those that do work in their clubs. Personally I think they contribute more than any county development squad.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2015, 09:27:10 AM

How many coaches take sessions with juveniles on how to educate them on game plans , spacial awareness, discipline, tactics, and other areas of the game to give them another teaching/coaching method? Brief video analysis, doesn't have to be long but kids learn things so much differently now, then take it to the training field and try and implement it... Yes most will probably go off fo their own thing but some will buy into it.... Playing to a plan with 20 dedicated hurlers will reap benefits
You are 100 percent correct- kids are never to young to learn this stuff but what if you only have the resources to do the basic stuff like skull said
It's all about coach numbers and quality
One hour a week wI'll not a good hurler make
But I like your thinking
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Na Glinntí Glasa

i like to keep a list of what sessions people attend and it can scare individuals at times when you tell them how little work they have actually done compared to others.

Training once a week isnt enough anymore. A 1 hr indoor session disappears like that and you dont get as much done as you think. Players need to be doing their own work outside of what a coach offers in order to improve
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 11, 2015, 11:35:22 AM
i like to keep a list of what sessions people attend and it can scare individuals at times when you tell them how little work they have actually done compared to others.

Training once a week isnt enough anymore. A 1 hr indoor session disappears like that and you dont get as much done as you think. Players need to be doing their own work outside of what a coach offers in order to improve
Exactly
I always wondered if you made a underage antrim player choose between the playstation and hurling
One of the other what would they say compared to  a average kilkenny kid
Here lies the problem
Down there it's the be all that ends all
It's not our kids fault because they  don't see our county guys as sporting Icons like down there
There just isn't the same thing to aspire to
Same at club level
Success breeds sucess unfortunately so does failure
That's why I have the utmost respect for anyone who really commits to the county Jersey
For all the training there not much light at end of the tunnel
It's a vicious circle

Skull is right more coaches and HR will go a long way to producing better hurlers
If we good convert all the critics in antrim to coaches we woukd be half way there
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Na Glinntí Glasa

when i was a kid the county team were icons. Players from that 89 team were the dogs as far as i was concerned as a kid. those guys were all tough, skilled and dedicated hurlers both for club and county. you looked up to them.

now kids dont care about the county team, a lot of them see it as an excuse to get some free gear then bugger off as soon as. yes there are a lot who stick at it but they are few and far between now. its the same for camogie as well.

as skull says we need more coaches but also good coaches at that. Ive always made it my point of watching other people and learning off them, how they approach a session, what they say, body language, drills, advice etc. and trying to take it with me. Its maybe a case of coaching the coaches!
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Sort of lost the drive myself in fairness in getting back at taking juveniles at the club, have changed jobs recently (completely different field for me) so have been immersed in that, hopefully I can get back into it sooner rather than later.

At that happens for a lot of ex players, getting the time and drive to do it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2015, 02:51:17 PM
At that happens for a lot of ex players, getting the time and drive to do it

Emphasis on the drive. Sure someone else can do it and then they can whinge when their juvenile teams are struggling because there really was only a skeleton group of people (possibly with limited know how) to just about hold the thing together.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 11, 2015, 02:44:30 PM
when i was a kid the county team were icons. Players from that 89 team were the dogs as far as i was concerned as a kid. those guys were all tough, skilled and dedicated hurlers both for club and county. you looked up to them.

now kids dont care about the county team, a lot of them see it as an excuse to get some free gear then bugger off as soon as. yes there are a lot who stick at it but they are few and far between now. its the same for camogie as well.

as skull says we need more coaches but also good coaches at that. Ive always made it my point of watching other people and learning off them, how they approach a session, what they say, body language, drills, advice etc. and trying to take it with me. Its maybe a case of coaching the coaches!

It most definitely is that, but i'm not entirely sure the existing foundation and level 1 coaching courses from the GAA are in any way adequate for that. Its still hard to beat someone who knows what its all about AND can communicate with the children in a positive and supportive manner

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: johnneycool on March 11, 2015, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 11, 2015, 02:44:30 PM

It most definitely is that, but i'm not entirely sure the existing foundation and level 1 coaching courses from the GAA are in any way adequate for that. Its still hard to beat someone who knows what its all about AND can communicate with the children in a positive and supportive manner

def. We have some great youth coaches in our club for hurling esp and its down to both their approach and passion for doing it. Most are all ex-senior players and have seen it and done it all and that sort of experience is so hard to beat. The kids respond really well to them and want to be there.
hurl like f**k boi!

gelvis

Hard to know which part of this is the worst. Do you think Tommy Walsh is gone because he lobbed it down the field. He's gone because his legs are gone. Buckley and Joyce have some hurling to do before they get even near one the most decorated hurlers in history
Let's see how the kilkenny players your spouting about get on without him and JJ for the next ten years
I don't even know what you mean by working the ball out
Are your referring to  short passing whilst keeping possession to a man gets the ball that's in space and can make a better delivery or shoot
I think your watching to much soccer
Now can you name me one antrim player who can win possession in defence  and midfield and make room for himself to get fast low ball into a forward
We don't have a hogan most teams don't so lay it of  to a support player In space before you closed down
I was posting in relation to our forwards on Sunday. To suggest if we got the ball in faster with lower trajectory is going to yeild a better return is  speculating
That's still a 50/50 ball in my book. Is if Jackie tyrrell or paul murphy couldn't cope with that
Imm sick listening to this fast low chest height ball for the foward theory
A good corner back or full back will be out In front winning it anyway
Our forwards got some bad ball on Sunday but they good some good ones to with the same result
I would say if you ask a kilkenny back who they hate marking they say someone like bonner maher because it doesn't matter what way the ball comes in he's a handful
Maybe when Ryan leaves you can pitch for the manages position and we can Play like kilkenny
[/quote]

http://www.pjwallacecyclesandtrophies.ie/analysis-joe-dooley-hurling-league/
20/30/40 yard passing. Any one of our quick and light forwards can beat a corner back out over that distance with an accurate pass coming their way.  They have no excuse not to, it's drilled in from u10s.  They should be working in training on different runs to make depending on who is coming out with the ball and in what area of the pitch.  Even have the half forwards making dummy runs to hit the space they leave behind.  In my opinion Neal McAuley is one of the best passers we have and tried to hit a different pass into the forwards than the ones they got no joy from. 
Someone stated before that we should be able to shoot from 80/90 yards and take scores.  Some of our midfield have been trying to do that and nearly always ends up with the ball drifting wide/dropping into the keepers hand/useless ball on small forwards.  Anyone who has played full back will tell you they'd be happy with a team dropping balls in all day because all you have to do is break the ball and someone sweeps.
Bonner Maher has a good hand on him yes, he's also got about the highest work rate of any forward ive ever seen and a savage desire to win that dirty ball.  How often does he lay it off with a short handpass to Bubbles/Noel McGrath/Seamus Callinan and they pick off an easy score. Its always when he gets put under pressure and ties up 2/3 defenders. Our forwards don't seem to make the same supporting runs off each other. 

And I couldn't possibly be considered for the County job, I haven't got a brogue and I'm not from one of the big 3!  ;)
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

hurlingstick

Big 3..... Ooooooh that's going to cause trouble!!!!!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Lol the 'big 3'? Kilkenny, tipp and cork you mean?
hurl like f**k boi!