Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Congratulations to cushendall. I see slaughtneil won in Derry. They won't be a push over for whoever plays them in Ulster.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

johnneycool

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 29, 2014, 03:35:05 PM
Congratulations to cushendall. I see slaughtneil won in Derry. They won't be a push over for whoever plays them in Ulster.

Ballycran came badly unstuck yesterday where the Ports beat them by three points in a keenly fought if lacking in quality game.
TBH, I'd seen Ballycran once this year where they slaughtered our lads (no big deal at the minute) and then they went onto win the Antrim league whereas the Ports like ourselves have struggled so big things were expected from the Crans.

Once I saw their full forward line I knew the Ports had a chance, none of the three were going to put the fear of god in any defender worth their salt and with a few melees breaking out, you could visibly see the 'confidence' drain out of them, taking up poor positions (hiding in my book) they didn't do the damage they should have done with the slight wind advantage they had in the first half. A bit of a ropey goal give them a lead which they failed to hold onto long enough even with the man advantage they had for most of the second half.

Ports were able to get a better spread of scoring forwards and aren't as reliant on Dule as they used to be although they did go very deep early on to protect a slim lead which the Crans really should have used the extra man better to make positions to take off a few long range points and reverted to dropping in ball to who I don't know.
Ports are a strange brew, they'll now be happy with their lot, rather than kick on and give Ulster a good rattle then they can drink the bit out, but guaranteed Sands pub will be full today!

Ports doing enough but Ballycran flatter to deceive even with the brains along the line.

johnneycool

Quote from: mickey80 on September 29, 2014, 04:21:37 PM
Yeah, only team that could possibly cause an upset would be Slaughtneil I reckon. But in reality, Cushendall shouldn't be troubled by the Ports.

Any dates pencilled in for these games?

Historically Cushendall don't have the invincibility about them like the Dunloy of yesteryear and Loughgeil recently and are there to be got at. Whether Portaferry are up for the fight is another story.

btdtgtt

Is there really a chance Slaughtneil could beat cushendall?

Na Glinntí Glasa

there is a chance for them, they ran lgiel close this year and this past two games Cushendall haven't really 'let loose' as people have been saying. well when are they going to do this and will they?

Cushendall deserved to win it this year as they won all their games. was a poor championship IMO, I thought loughgiel, ballycastle and ourselves were all poor and didn't play anything that they were capable of.

Cushendall will need to step it up even more if they are serious about making a go at winning ulster and getting over the all Ireland semi hurdle.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 30, 2014, 09:13:47 AM
there is a chance for them, they ran lgiel close this year and this past two games Cushendall haven't really 'let loose' as people have been saying. well when are they going to do this and will they?

Cushendall deserved to win it this year as they won all their games. was a poor championship IMO, I thought loughgiel, ballycastle and ourselves were all poor and didn't play anything that they were capable of.

Cushendall will need to step it up even more if they are serious about making a go at winning ulster and getting over the all Ireland semi hurdle.

Very much so!

gelvis

Would the very subdued celebrations from the Rossa players at the weekend back up the theory that they shouldn't have been in the Intermediate this year?  Clearly meant nothing to them...will they apply themselves any more now with an All Ireland run on the cards?
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

Bonamargy

Quote from: gelvis on October 01, 2014, 07:42:00 PM
Would the very subdued celebrations from the Rossa players at the weekend back up the theory that they shouldn't have been in the Intermediate this year?  Clearly meant nothing to them...will they apply themselves any more now with an All Ireland run on the cards?

Indeed the lack of excitement at winning a championship was very evident from both the players and the polite round of applause from the Rossa supporters.

Jeepers Creepers

Aye, didn't hear one vuvuzela all day!

Last Man

Quote from: Bonamargy on October 01, 2014, 08:30:52 PM
Quote from: gelvis on October 01, 2014, 07:42:00 PM

Indeed the lack of excitement at winning a championship was very evident from both the players and the polite round of applause from the Rossa supporters.
I thought it was fairly evident that they were in the right championship.

btdtgtt

Was I was at a different game?
Team photos with the cup for a while on the pitch!
Check the Antrim post this week!
And judging by the game they certainly were in the right championship!
Not sure about that gelvis - I think the intermediate has been the right idea for Rossa to re-build.

gelvis

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 01, 2014, 10:07:21 PM
Not sure about that gizzy - I think the intermediate has been the right idea for Rossa to re-build.

Hardly jubilant scenes in the photos. 
On the "judging by the game" comment, did St Galls put in a better performance on Sunday?

I'd nearly go as far as to say the Intermediate Game was a better standard than the Senior one.  At least players could hand pass to their own team mates and take their points!  ;)
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

Na Glinntí Glasa

rossa are where they need to be at the moment, sometimes you need to take a team apart and build from scratch again. this is what they have done this time around and it has allowed young players like Seaghan Shannon to flourish in midfield.

winning this and blooding a few minors into the team isn't enough, it takes hard work at underage level and progressing the under 16's/minors on constantly towards the team will be the long term goal.

but hopefully they do well this weekend
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

Quote from: gelvis on October 01, 2014, 11:17:50 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 01, 2014, 10:07:21 PM
Not sure about that gizzy - I think the intermediate has been the right idea for Rossa to re-build.

Hardly jubilant scenes in the photos. 
On the "judging by the game" comment, did St Galls put in a better performance on Sunday?

I'd nearly go as far as to say the Intermediate Game was a better standard than the Senior one.  At least players could hand pass to their own team mates and take their points!  ;)

They should get St. Galls to play Rossa to check your theory. But Rossa would need about a plus 10 handicap.

Gizzy15

You must have changed that post btdtgtt, was wondering how I got brought into the conversation.

I do think they were in the right championship btw. If that's their strongest team then they will need to build and mature over the next few years.

I think it was a bit of a talking point and a bit of ribbing about st galls being in the showpiece and as quoted by a st galls man "rossa being their curtain raiser" , that made some rossa people feel a bit unconfortable. But it is what it is.

I feel if Rossa put the right structures in place it will only be a small matter of time before those rolls are reversed. But a while yet before Big Ears is being brought to Shaws road.