Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Nobody shouting about getting rid of management yet if TC was still about he would be lynched by now.  I think people are copping on that we havent the players  :-[

anglocelt39

Quote from: tommysmith on March 20, 2011, 08:25:59 PM
Nobody shouting about getting rid of management yet if TC was still about he would be lynched by now.  I think people are copping on that we havent the players  :-[

I think one thing that singled TC out as a complete tool was the fact that he was quite willing to shamelessly pimp himself on the media as an "expert" at the very same time as he was making a pig's ear of the Cavan job, something about him spouting forth on RTE radio that day after the Cork game last year really stuck in my craw. Have to agree that we aren't in a great spot mind.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: tommysmith on March 20, 2011, 08:25:59 PM

Even if we got rid of Val would anyone else take the job?  ???

Anyone I have spoken to said that in Val we have a manager that genuinely wants to be here. I don't agree with plenty of what has happened so far but I think he needs at least until the summer of 2012 before he is fairly judged. This group really is at its lowest ever ebb now. One positive I suppose is two home games to try and regain some respect and points.

Denn Forever

I hope we are doing a Roscommon.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

PhilsJemmysField

Getting relegated to Div 4 cannot be a good thing. So therefore you have t play the u21 lads it is simple. Only in Cavan can your senior team start t be a second team. It is very dangerous plan putting U21 first because even if we win Ulster at U21 and our seniors go down would hardly be a success overall. A very big IF as management last year showed they haven't a clue how to play Donegal. Will be interesting to see if our management learnt from last year and do we have a plan for Wednesday night.

With the league starting next week from looking at dugouts at challenge matches over the last few weeks. Lots of teams could struggle to get second teams out. Is emigration starting to bite

mylestheslasher

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on March 21, 2011, 11:45:22 AM
Getting relegated to Div 4 cannot be a good thing. So therefore you have t play the u21 lads it is simple. Only in Cavan can your senior team start t be a second team. It is very dangerous plan putting U21 first because even if we win Ulster at U21 and our seniors go down would hardly be a success overall. A very big IF as management last year showed they haven't a clue how to play Donegal. Will be interesting to see if our management learnt from last year and do we have a plan for Wednesday night.

With the league starting next week from looking at dugouts at challenge matches over the last few weeks. Lots of teams could struggle to get second teams out. Is emigration starting to bite

If Cavan wins the U21 Ulster final and get relegated in the league that would be a good season for me. Look, at senior level we don't have a raft of talent. We may have a couple of handy players and a load of lads that are willing to do their best. That is what we are at the moment. I think we are just about good enough to hold our place in Div 3 but our confidence is down and even the likes of Johnstone for all his ability is a loser as we have won nothing. A bunch of U21's (or minors) coming through after winning something against the Tyrones, Armaghs of their age group would be a huge boost for us and them lads would know winning was in them.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 21, 2011, 12:44:57 PM
Where has Pierson gone he hasnt featured in the last few games.. Hope he didnt go AWOL again. He is probaly the most talented player cavan have in the forwards,i would rate him higher than johnston when he is at his best.

Injured,may be back for next game in a fortnight.

Westside

I'd agree with Myles, I would gladly take relegation and an Ulster U-21 Title.. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but if we were to go down I think we would come straight back up. There is nobody in that Division that we could not beat next year. Didn't Sligo and Antrim drop to Division 4 and used it as a springboard to get some success going?

People are going on about the U-21s as if not playing them is costing us our place in Division 3, realistically who is going to walk straight on to the senior side? Gearoid, Barry Reilly and.. McDermott? Decent additions indeed but they won't transform this team.

What is the story with Givney? He hasn't started a game yet but has made early appearances in most, is he fit or is he not, if he is then I can't imagine this throwing him on early and expecting him to change the tide for us will do him any good.

The one plus about Cavan this year is they are showing a good attitude. They made a decent comebacks against Derry, Westmeath, Limerick and could have stolen it from Wexford.. They haven't just laid down and accepted defeat in any game.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 21, 2011, 12:44:57 PM
Where has Pierson gone he hasnt featured in the last few games.. Hope he didnt go AWOL again. He is probaly the most talented player cavan have in the forwards,i would rate him higher than johnston when he is at his best.

I heard he was injured. He has/had the potential to be as good if not better than Johnstone but between injury and indicipline he never really lived up to it. Maybe he has settled a bit now and can get in tip top shape for the championship and do the business there.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Two reports on the game against Wexford which reflect the game much more accurately than what is being reported as being on the Wexford radio station in my opinion. Hopefully these will quell the exaggerated view of the state of the senior team on this thread a little.
NFL 3: Wexford survive Cavan scare

Wexford keeper Anthony Masterson
20 March 2011

Wexford 1-14
Cavan 2-9

Wexford survived a second half scare against struggling Cavan to extend their lead at the top of the Allianz National Football League Division 3 table on Sunday.

Despite playing into the breeze in the first half, the home side led by seven (1-7 to 0-3) at the interval with the goal coming from Paddy Byrne.

But just when a facile victory seemed to be on the cards, Cavan came out all guns blazing in the second half, hitting two goals and forcing Wexford keeper Anthony Masterson into a series of vital stops as the home side just held on.

Michael Lyng came off the bench to fire two goals while Lyng, Eugene Keating and Cian Mackey all saw goalbound efforts rebuffed by Masterson.

Wexford: A Masterson; N Murphy, G Molloy, A Morrissey (0-1); B Malone, D Murphy, A Doyle (0-1); R Quinlivan, D Waters; S O'Neill (0-1), R Barry (0-1), G Sunderland; C Lyng (0-3, 2 frees), P Byrne (1-1), B Brosnan (0-6, 4 frees). Subs: C Morris for Sunderland (46 mins); S Roche for Morrissey (62).

Cavan: J Reilly; A Clarke, D Sheridan, D O'Dowd; M McKeever, J McCutcheon, D Reilly; R Cullivan (0-2), P O'Reilly; R Flanagan (0-3, 2 frees), G Smith (0-2, frees), B Fitzpatrick; C Mackey (0-1), M Brennan, S Johnston (0-1, free). Subs: D Givney for Fitzpatrick (12); T Corr for Sheridan (35); M Lyng (2-0) for Smith (35); E Keating for Brennan (35); K Fannin for Cullivan (66).

Referee: N Ward (Westmeath).

Allianz Football League Division 3, Round 5.
Wexford V Cavan. Wexford Park. 2.30pm.

The old cliché "a game of two half's" is an appropriate description for this Allianz division 3 tie which was played out in Wexford park. As visitors for the second week running Cavan didn't offer much in the way of competition for a Wexford side who out scored them by 1.07 to 0.03 in the opening half. Cavan did start the brighter with two points in the first 2 minutes thanks to the free taking of their forty yards man Gareth smith. However during a 20 minute spell the home side scored 8 times with out reply.

Adrian Morrissey opened Wexford's account on 11 minutes. This was quickly followed by a goal from full forward Paddy Byrne thanks to an excellent pass from top scorer Ben Brosnan who scored 3 points in each half. Cavan replaced Brendan Fitzpatrick with David Givney the first of 5 substitutions in total made by the Breffni men. Andreas Doyle fisted over on the half hour followed by Cavan's only point from play in this half courtesy of midfielder Ray Cullivan, leaving a half time score of 1.07 to 0.03 in favour of Wexford.

Cavan's management rang the changes during the break introducing Tomas Corr, Michael Lyng and Eugene Keating to the full back, centre and full forward positions. Whilst it was Wexford's Ciarán Lyng who got the first score of the second half the new look visitors did emerge as a much more organised and eager outfit. Cian Mackey and Redmond Barry exchanged points before Cavan's work rate started to reap real dividends.

Points from Ray Cullivan and Ronan Flanagan prefaced a goal from Sean Johnston on 13 minutes leaving the score 1.09 to 1.06. Cavan's centre back John McCutcheon raised the white flag only to have his contribution cancelled by referee Niall Ward following consultation with his one of his assistants. That let off spurred on Wexford to score 3 unanswered points courtesy of their full forward line.

Cavan's most influential player, substitute Michael Lyng masterminded a number of excellent scoring opportunities, but goal keeper Anthony Masterson foiled the Breffni men on no less than 3 occasions in one on one encounters. These missed opportunities cost Cavan dearly. Lyng did get the upper hand on Masterson in injury time with a cleverly worked goal but time ran out for Cavan who suffered their second defeat in as many weeks and now face a mammoth task to survive in this division.

Final score Wexford 1.14 Cavan 2.09

Referee Niall Ward, Westmeath.

Wexford A Masterson, N Murphy, G Molloy, A Morrissey (0.01), B Malone, D Murphy, A Doyle (0.01), R Quinlivan, D Waters, S O'Neill (0.01), R Barry (0.01), G Sunderland, C Lyng (0.03) 1 free, P Byrne (1.01), B Brosnan (0.06) 4 frees.

Cavan J Reilly, A Clarke, D Sheridan, D O'Dowd, M McKeever, J McCutcheon,
D O'Reilly, R Cullivan (0.02), P O'Reilly, R Flanagan (0.03) 2 frees,
G Smith (0.02) 2 frees, Brendan Fitzpatrick, C Mackey (0.01), M Brennan,
S Johnston (1.01) 1 free.

Substitutes:

Wexford, S Roche for A Morrissey, C Morris for G Sunderland.

Cavan, D Givney for B Fitzpatrick, T Corr for D Sheridan, M Lyng (1.00) for G Smith, E Keating for M Brennan, K Fannin for R Cullivan.

mylestheslasher

Lawrence - Your reports also show how 2 reporters, presumably who both were at the match, can differ given that one of them thought Lyng scored 2 goals and other gave 1 to Johnston. I presume Johnston got that goal as thats what the radio said! Anyway, how did our captain play as a matter of interest? What do you reckon on Keating at FF? Did Lyng make the impact the reports say, if he did make a return to form it would be great as I always thought of him as a truely inspirational player both on the ball and when tackling back. In fact, an injury free Lyng would be my captain if I were manager.

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 21, 2011, 08:47:37 PM
Lawrence - Your reports also show how 2 reporters, presumably who both were at the match, can differ given that one of them thought Lyng scored 2 goals and other gave 1 to Johnston. I presume Johnston got that goal as thats what the radio said! Anyway, how did our captain play as a matter of interest? What do you reckon on Keating at FF? Did Lyng make the impact the reports say, if he did make a return to form it would be great as I always thought of him as a truely inspirational player both on the ball and when tackling back. In fact, an injury free Lyng would be my captain if I were manager.

Interestingly enough, one Eamon Coleman agreed with ya.

Westside

Does Lyng really want to be there though? Saw him play against Antrim last year in the League, he looked unfit and all he wanted to do was get involved off the ball and moan at the ref. He left shortly afterwards.. I would have thought that he would have been one of the players that Tommy Carr branded as "hanging around the panel for the sake of it"

Lawrence of Knockbride

Johnston got the goal but Lyng stepped over his weak shot which fooled the keeper so I wouldn't be too bothered with that aspect of the report. My point is that Wexford shouldn't have "beat us out the gate" in my opinion. They were good value for their half time lead but Cavan dominated large spells of the second half and but for their keeper they could have won the game. Johnston is worrying. He is working hard and came out to half-forward in the second half but he is being beaten to the ball by corner backs this year so I'm not sure what's up with him. Keating and Givney were named at 14 and 12 respectively yet neither started. Keating wasn't as prominent as against Limerick but still looks lively and would seem like a decent option there. Lyng was outstanding in my opinion. Nothing spectacular but he has an intelligence which I feel is badly lacking in some of the other players. He has a lot to prove to Cavan people regarding his dedication before we get carried away but I've felt that he's the best player in the county for years now if only he'd stick at it with the county long enough.
For what it's worth I think there are two main problems with the team overall. First, the full-back line, none of which should be playing there. Second, the mindset of the players. I'm not questioning workrate or dedication, but how that's applied. I would look at the management on this second point as their reaction to what I perceive as bad levels of concentration isn't good enough. The full-back line has been debated on here and I don't know what more can be done. But I'd love to know what happened to Eoin McPhilips? He's the best corner back we've had since Hannon first hit the panel in my opinion. He was mysteriously left out come championship last year and I'm not sure what his situation is this year.
There's not that much wrong with the rest of the team that can't be put right with some good motivation.James Reilly,McCutchon,McKeever,Padraig Reilly,Cullivan,Givney,Smith,Lyng,Mackey,Johnston,Pearson are all very capable.

BallyhaiseMan

Heres one point that i do not believe was made.
The schedule of
4 away games and 1 home game in the first 5 is an absolute f**king disgrace.
I dont know what input if any the county board had in that,but its an absolute travesty.
It should be
1 home 1 away 1 home 1 away 1 home 1 away 1 away or vice versa.