Middle East landscape rapidly changing

Started by give her dixie, January 25, 2011, 02:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

I was gonna reply to this as I take a different line to the pair of ye....

But I keep losing my train of thought when I think of someone asking a Mayo man has he ever been to the bog

muppet

Quote from: periere on November 25, 2015, 12:44:12 AM
The "bog" point is that  being blessed with a natural resource is exactly that, a  blessing . It does not follow that the society will be consumed with greed or a murderous desire to exploit the natural resource to the detriment to all else.  If Oil is THE problem or a big part of the problem or even a small part of the problem then why have Norway, UK,US, Canada, Russia etc managed to trade in what is, basically,  a commodity without compromising their society, security   or ideals (ok, Russia is dodgy) .

Trading in oil is NOT the problem.

You will now counter that "I never said that Oil was the only problem". I will concede that you are correct but I pine for the contributor that can go 10 posts on the subject of the middle east without resorting to the moral crutch that is middle eastern oil consumption

I asked was the objective to keep the oil flowing, and you answered with a qualified yes.

Oil isn't the only problem but it a major part of the problem. We know that Saudi and Qatar want rid of Assad to build a pipeline to Turkey, for example. It is easy to see why Russia and Iran will try to block this pipeline as it could seriously reduce their influence and the value of their energy assets. Putin is claiming today that Turkey buys oil from ISIS.

The US is using different language but it amounts to the same thing.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/08/is-nato-ally-turkey-tacitly-fueling-the-isis-war-machine.html

With everyone prioritising their own energy interests, it is hard to see where a proper solution would even come from.
MWWSI 2017

periere

I suppose my general view on the Oil is that even if it was totally taken out of the situation the ME would still be 95% the basket case that it is.

muppet

Quote from: periere on November 25, 2015, 01:21:44 PM
I suppose my general view on the Oil is that even if it was totally taken out of the situation the ME would still be 95% the basket case that it is.

Probably, it might resemble some of the resource poor areas of Africa.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

J70

Yep, when a religion that exalts martyrdom is the bedrock of society, it doesn't take too many bad eggs to make it all go pear shaped.

Denn Forever

Quote from: J70 on November 25, 2015, 02:21:58 PM

Yep, when a religion that exalts martyrdom is the bed
rock of society, it doesn't take too many bad eggs to make it all go pear shaped.

Christianity circa 11/12 century?  Except it was self sacrifice   Oh wait, forgot the crusades.                             
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 25, 2015, 02:50:40 PM

Yep, when a religion that exalts martyrdom is the bed
rock of society, it doesn't take too many bad eggs to make it all go pear shaped.

Christianity circa 11/12 century?  Except it was self sacrifice   Oh wait, forgot the crusades.                           

Yep, 800 years ago.

seafoid

Yep, when a religion that exalts martyrdom is the bedrock of society, it doesn't take too many bad eggs to make it all go pear shaped.
According to Acts of the Apostles
James, son of Zebedee (executed by sword)
Saint Stephen (stoning)

According to Flavius Josephus[edit]
James the Just (stoning)

According to early Christian tradition[edit]
Saint Peter, first attested by Tertullian about 200 AD
Saint Paul, first attested by Ignatius probably about 110 AD

According to late or local Christian tradition
Mark the Evangelist
Philip the Apostle - conflicting accounts (chose to stay crucified or was beheaded)
Andrew the Apostle
Jude the Apostle
Bartholomew the Apostle - conflicting accounts
Thomas the Apostle

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

If it's not a bunch of psychopaths embracing the most twisted interpretations of Islam, along with accompanying sectarian strife, then what is the issue?

Will ISIS stop if the west completely disengages from the ME?

Will Saudi Arabia and the Taliban leave behind their repressive societies?

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 25, 2015, 01:29:09 PM

Probably, it might resemble some of the resource poor areas of Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_curse

Egypt doesn't have much oil , it's middle east and it's a mess. Outside interference has
been a problem since the 1880s.
Population growth is the big issue now.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on November 25, 2015, 03:08:14 PM
If it's not a bunch of psychopaths embracing the most twisted interpretations of Islam, along with accompanying sectarian strife, then what is the issue?

It's not one issue.
Very like Limerick.  ;)

J70

Quote from: seafoid on November 25, 2015, 03:10:07 PM

It's not one issue.
Very like Limerick.  ;)

True, but religion is definitely one of the issues. And in the case of ISIS, the Taliban, Al Qaida etc. THE issue.

AZOffaly

It's not one issue.
Very like Limerick.  ;)

Why do you continually say snide things about Limerick? Do you want everyone to be hippies like in Galway?

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on November 25, 2015, 03:14:16 PM

It's not one issue.
Very like Limerick.  ;)

True, but religion is definitely one of the issues. And in the case of ISIS, the Taliban, Al Qaida etc. THE issue.
It's like Europe in the 1600s. ISIS are the new model army. Baghdadi is Cromwell, say. 

Now, what caused ISIS to spring up ? That is the question and it's not enough to say 'religion'.