Middle East landscape rapidly changing

Started by give her dixie, January 25, 2011, 02:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Dick Cheney: "My Thoughts and Prayers Are with the Iraqi Oil Wells"

Former Vice-President Dick Cheney broke his silence about the crisis in Iraq on Tuesday, telling reporters, "My thoughts and prayers are with the Iraqi oil wells."

Speaking from his Wyoming ranch, Cheney said that he had planned to remain quiet about the current state of affairs in Iraq, but "thinking about those oil wells has kept me up at night."

"If Dick Cheney won't speak for the Iraqi oil wells, who will?" he said.

Cheney indicated that, as of now, there was no fighting near Iraq's oil wells, but warned, "If the violence spreads, those wells could be in jeopardy. And it's up to the international community to insure that that worst-case scenario doesn't happen."

The former Vice-President said that he expected to "catch hell" for inserting himself into the debate about Iraq, but was resolute in his decision to do so. "If I prevent one drop of precious oil from being spilled, it will have been worth it," he said.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/06/dick-cheney-my-thoughts-and-prayers-are-with-the-iraqi-oil-wells.html?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter&mbid=social_twitter
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2014, 03:48:05 PM
13 years on
http://www.mnftiu.cc/category/gywo/

Operating Enduring Freedom didn't endure, did it ?

Operation Enduring Sectarianism is going strong though, thanks to you and your friends in Iran.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: give her dixie on June 18, 2014, 05:28:42 PM

Former Vice-President Dick Cheney broke his silence about the crisis in Iraq on Tuesday, telling reporters, "My thoughts and prayers are with the Iraqi oil wells."

Speaking from his Wyoming ranch, Cheney said that he had planned to remain quiet about the current state of affairs in Iraq, but "thinking about those oil wells has kept me up at night."

Cheney indicated that, as of now, there was no fighting near Iraq's oil wells, but warned, "If the violence spreads, those wells could be in jeopardy. And it's up to the international community to insure that that worst-case scenario doesn't happen."

The former Vice-President said that he expected to "catch hell" for inserting himself into the debate about Iraq, but was resolute in his decision to do so. "If I prevent one drop of precious oil from being spilled, it will have been worth it," he said.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/06/dick-cheney-my-thoughts-and-prayers-are-with-the-iraqi-oil-wells.html?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter&mbid=social_twitter

What are your thoughts on the present situation in Iraq GHD ? Any thoughts on Seafoids Sunni homeland solution ?
He seems reluctant to elaborate so maybe you could give your views.

It would be a good opportunity for you to step out of Seafoids shadow.

LeoMc

Quote from: give her dixie on June 18, 2014, 05:28:42 PM

Horowitz is about as funny as Tyrone Tribulations.

macdanger2

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30265434

Hard to believe this guy is on the verge of being released while the democratically elected president is in prison  :o

macdanger2

Looks like the Arab Spring is turning even further south for the Egyptians.....The law stating "Journalists will be fined for contradicting the authorities' version of any terrorist attack" is particularly handy for the govt

Egypt approves new anti-terrorism laws

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has approved an anti-terrorism law that sets up special courts and provides protections to its enforcers in the face of a two-year-long insurgency that aims to topple his government.

The law also details sentences for various terrorism crimes ranging from five years to the death penalty.

It also shields those applying it, such as the military and police, from legal ramifications for the proportionate use of force "in performing their duties."

Mr Sisi had promised a tougher legal system in July, after a car bomb attack that killed the top public prosecutor, the highest level state official to be killed in years.

Forming or leading a group deemed a "terrorist entity" by the government will be punishable by death or life in prison.

Membership in such a group will carry up to ten years in jail.

Financing "terrorist groups" will also carry a penalty of life in prison, which in Egypt is 25 years. Inciting violence, which includes "promoting ideas that call for violence" will lead to between five and seven years in jail, as will creating or using websites that spread such ideas.

Journalists will be fined for contradicting the authorities' version of any terrorist attack. The original draft of the law was amended following domestic and international outcry after it initially called for imprisonment for such an offence.

Egypt is facing an increasingly violent insurgency in North Sinai, where the most active militant group has pledged allegiance to Islamic State.

Cairo and other cities have also witnessed attacks.

The insurgency, which has killed hundreds of soldiers and police, has intensified since Mr Sisi, a former army chief, ousted the Islamist former President Mohamed Mursi after mass protests against his rule in 2013.

Amnesty International criticises legislation

The law has come under fire from human rights groups who accuse Mr Sisi of rolling back freedoms won in the 2011 uprising that toppled veteran autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

"This is taking us back to the Mubarak era and the 30-year state of emergency that helped push Egyptians to the streets in 2011," Mohamed Elmessiry, Egypt researcher at Amnesty International, said in a statement.

"Despite security forces having a record of excessive use of force, this law...paves the way for impunity."

Mr Elmessiry also said the law would in effect remove the current two-year limit on pre-trial detention by allowing prosecutors to ask to renew suspects' detention indefinitely.

"The law contravenes the Egyptian constitution and national laws, let alone international law," he said.

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

johnneycool

Quote from: give her dixie on November 24, 2015, 10:16:41 AM
Things heating up a bit after Turkey shoots down a Russian jet close to the Syrian border an hour ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/24/russian-jet-downed-by-turkish-planes-near-syrian-border-live-updates

Looks like this is spiraling out in all sorts of directions!!

Dave Cameron should be looking to keep British jets out of the airways for a while yet if he's any sense!

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on November 24, 2015, 11:01:07 AM
Things heating up a bit after Turkey shoots down a Russian jet close to the Syrian border an hour ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/24/russian-jet-downed-by-turkish-planes-near-syrian-border-live-updates

Dave Cameron should be looking to keep British jets out of the airways for a while yet if he's any sense!
Especially given the state of the UK budget. One of those planes costs around 40 million
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2015, 11:10:14 AM

Especially given the state of the UK budget. One of those planes costs around 40 million

Well on the news last night they are buying more and more and Trident is getting a whopping 240 billion?? did I hear that right? mental .. anyways lets keep world poverty/famine and preventable diseases at a all time high.. he'd the cheek to say (Government minister for defence) that we need to ensure Britain is safe and quoted the one British death in Paris and the 13 that died in Tunisa ..... the mind boggles
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2015, 12:17:37 PM

Well on the news last night they are buying more and more and Trident is getting a whopping 240 billion?? did I hear that right? mental .. anyways lets keep world poverty/famine and preventable diseases at a all time high.. he'd the cheek to say (Government minister for defence) that we need to ensure Britain is safe and quoted the one British death in Paris and the 13 that died in Tunisa ..... the mind boggles

Jeffrey thinks we should host the program!!!  f**k off Jeffrey,  I don't want to be associated with that shit!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 24, 2015, 12:36:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2015, 12:17:37 PM

Jeffrey thinks we should host the program!!!  f**k off Jeffrey,  I don't want to be associated with that shit!

seen this earlier 

Part-time Daniel O'Donnell lookalike, full-time bloon Jeffrey Donaldson has just told David Cameron if he's looking to keep his nukes somewhere then he can keep them here. Yes, here! A place where we can't be trusted with golf balls and anything that isn't nailed down over the 12th might be used as a weapon. A place with dissident republicans still active and Willie Frazer still not in a secure facility. Giving us nukes is like asking Stephen Nolan to watch your lunch while you nip to the toilet.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

periere

For me, in recent years Turkey has, to a certain degree, assumed the role of the true litmus test for what way the Muslim world is going. Recent political developments along with incidents like this do not fill me with great confidence.