Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2014, 12:19:55 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2014, 12:07:02 PM
The issue of kit sponsorship money also has to be looked at.  Dublin's deal with AIG was something like £700k.  Comparison to Derry's 30k (which is the only one I know - and I'd imagine would be a good average figure) is ridiculous.  The GAA needs to look at centrally pooling this kit sposorship money and redistributing accordingly.

Sorry that's bullshit. I've no issue with Dublin getting the lowest grants from hq of any county .

But pooling of sponsorship is where I draw the line. That sponsorship covers the entire spectrum of Dublin teams and isn't ring fenced for the seniors.

We are entitled to get whatever our brand dictates. Donegal spent 1.5m to win the all Ireland in 2012. The idea that money is Dublin only is complete clap trap.

Donegal have had more training camps in fancy complexes then the Germans did in the WC. So they obviously have private investors that they don't tell anyone about.?
Its the GAA brand. Not Dublin brand.
The GAA is a Communist system.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 22, 2014, 03:45:33 PM
The issue of kit sponsorship money also has to be looked at.  Dublin's deal with AIG was something like £700k.  Comparison to Derry's 30k (which is the only one I know - and I'd imagine would be a good average figure) is ridiculous.  The GAA needs to look at centrally pooling this kit sposorship money and redistributing accordingly.

Sorry that's bullshit. I've no issue with Dublin getting the lowest grants from hq of any county .

But pooling of sponsorship is where I draw the line. That sponsorship covers the entire spectrum of Dublin teams and isn't ring fenced for the seniors.

We are entitled to get whatever our brand dictates. Donegal spent 1.5m to win the all Ireland in 2012. The idea that money is Dublin only is complete clap trap.

Donegal have had more training camps in fancy complexes then the Germans did in the WC. So they obviously have private investors that they don't tell anyone about.?

As in Animal Farm?
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2014, 03:50:48 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 22, 2014, 03:45:33 PM

Who is Eugene McGee on the farm?
As in Animal Farm?

Johnnybegood

One certain consequence of a Dublin split - no more big Dublin support in Croker. Inter county football would return to the sixties! Bye bye clubhouse, bye bye new pitch, bye bye Roscommon bus!

Canalman

Quote from: Johnnybegood on July 22, 2014, 04:23:47 PM
One certain consequence of a Dublin split - no more big Dublin support in Croker. Inter county football would return to the sixties! Bye bye clubhouse, bye bye new pitch, bye bye Roscommon bus!

Not to forget the amalgamations of counties for intercounty team purposes.

The elephant in the parlour conveniently forgotten in  the stampede to finish Dublin off as a football force (temporary as it is).

Keep saying this but be careful what you wish for guys in squealing for the traditional county structure to be done away with.

Syferus

None of the money for our lovely bus came from HQ. Even in your Dubapocaylpse the bus would survive. The bus always survives.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 22, 2014, 01:00:56 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 22, 2014, 11:42:27 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2014, 10:19:00 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2014, 09:53:20 AM
If I have only one hope for this GAA season, it's that either of the sparsely-populated, emigration-ravished land masses that are Donegal and Mayo, beat Dublin in Croke Park. I don't care how they do they do, just that they do so.

Maybe after that happens, all of the hype swillers on this thread and around Ireland, might take a step back and realise that pots of cash, extensive training regimes, professional coaches and backroom staff, development structures, soft jobs, and big game experience do not win All-Irelands. Players win All-Irelands. Dublin have a natural advantage there at present, but every player can and will have off days.
It was in the early 90s. I'd say '93.

They do but they don't develop themselves
I know Indy, but other counties face problems that doesn't enter the picture where Dublin is concerned. Foremost amongst them is the issue of travel time and expenses.

The Leitrim championship panel used to train in Trim. (At least they did for a period during the mid-noughties.)
Around that time Dublin-based players of Mayo and Kerry trained in the Phoenix Park under the supervision of Mícheál O'Muircheartaigh. Dunno what other counties do but logistics are a problem for all counties who have players living and working a distance from their home patch.
Gilroy and maybe Gavin also could arrange early morning training sessions which just couldn't be done elsewhere.
I don't want to be bitten by a rabid Dub supported but I think the results of the study carried out during Peter Quinn's presidency should be looked at again.
One of the chief recommendations was that Dublin be divided in two and, predictably, that met with howls of protest fro the Molly Malones. The findings were promptly shelved which was really a pity as there were other issues investigated.
The falling away of  playing members as they got older was a countrywide worry and this was the main remit of the committee appointed. Dublin was found to have the biggest drop out rate of the lot. Dublin had the largest number of players. Cork had more clubs than any other county, Dublin included, but no one else had the superclubs  to be found in Dublin.
The committee reported that each of 5 named clubs fielded more underage players at weekends than any of five named counties. At this remove in time, I can't honsestly name all five ib eithe rcase but I know Cavan, Fermanagh and Leitrim were three of the counties and 'boden, Thomas Davis, Brigid's and Vincents were four of the five clubs in question.
So Dublin was the region with the fastest growing population numbers and at the same time, the highest drop out rate. No wonder GAA heads were worried.
One of the recommendations was that Dublin should be split in two but unfortunately none of the committee's findings   were implemented.
The imbalance is growing all the while.

What year was this ? If  they did a review on Cavan now it would hardly be like that
It was during the early 90s.  I'd say '93.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Dont Matter

Quote from: Canalman on July 22, 2014, 05:42:10 PM

The elephant in the parlour conveniently forgotten in  the stampede to finish Dublin off as a football force (temporary as it is).

Keep saying this but be careful what you wish for guys in squealing for the traditional county structure to be done away with.

Clubhouses and the like can be financed by the millons of euro we'll save by splitting Dubl$n, we wont have to pay for you to win All Irelands anymore. Plus we'll divide out your aig money. Good times.
What's the problem anyway? Don't you want to win stuff fairly or are you happy to be bought success?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 22, 2014, 11:38:54 PM

Clubhouses and the like can be financed by the millons of euro we'll save by splitting Dubl$n, we wont have to pay for you to win All Irelands anymore. Plus we'll divide out your aig money. Good times.
What's the problem anyway? Don't you want to win stuff fairly or are you happy to be bought success?

We are just happy to be inspiring kids all over Ireland that you don't need to play 12 men behind the ball in order to win.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on July 23, 2014, 12:12:08 AM
Quote from: Dont Matter on July 22, 2014, 11:38:54 PM

We are just happy to be inspiring kids all over Ireland that you don't need to play 12 men behind the ball in order to win.

Well, unless ye play Donegal.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2014, 02:51:47 PM
Sure didn't we play them in the league in 2008 when Maughan had us in full meltdown mode?
Less said about that game the better.

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2014, 02:34:53 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2014, 01:25:21 PM
I'd say the grass in the Hyde would be some length if the Dubs came to town.

When was the last time Dublin played in Hyde Park?
We bet them in the NFL ..... 2000? I think - Ros4life will no doubt have the answer for sure. :)
We bet them in Parnell Park in 2002(?).
We used to bate Kerry and Donegal too in them days.

Indeed i do it was 2003 when we lost 0-17 to 0-14 but that day Frankie Dolan gave a taste of what was to come that summer with 0-11. We bet the Dubs two years in a row in Parnell park 2001,2002 .

2000 was our last home win v Dublin 1-10 to 0-6 it was, Fergal with the goal.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Johnnybegood

Don't matter in answer to your question about winning fair, why don't you debate fair in a constructive manner. Can you name 5 players that played for Dublin on Sunday that came through this money structure your talking about?

INDIANA

Quote from: Johnnybegood on July 23, 2014, 07:48:48 AM
Don't matter in answer to your question about winning fair, why don't you debate fair in a constructive manner. Can you name 5 players that played for Dublin on Sunday that came through this money structure your talking about?

Or let's talk about the ones who didn't.

Paul Flynn - 3 Allstars never played  minor for Dublin. Didn't make the u21 team either- was part of the extended squad. A poor u21 team it must be said. His club is intermediate by the way.

MDMA- best midfielder in Ireland at present. Played one year minor on the bench- never played u21.

Bernard Brogan- never played minor for Dublin and only made the dublin 21's in his final year.

Three of Dublin's best players. People keep talking about the development teams- its the clubs that have done most of the work. Same as it was 50 years ago. None of the above had any access to the money and structures people keep going on about.

Dinny Breen

Ha! Flynn and MDMA have been practicality full time athletes the last 5 years at least, Flynn now works for a Dublin Sponsor. Everyone knows Bernard Brogan's profile. It's a reality that the money around Dublin GAA allows these guys to be the best they can be. Other counties do this as well so it's by no means a Dublin thing but the history of sport shows us the co-relationship between finance and success. Think Dublin/Man United Kildare/Leeds Donegal/Chelsea.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2014, 08:28:05 AM
Ha! Flynn and MDMA have been practicality full time athletes the last 5 years at least, Flynn now works for a Dublin Sponsor. Everyone knows Bernard Brogan's profile. It's a reality that the money around Dublin GAA allows these guys to be the best they can be. Other counties do this as well so it's by no means a Dublin thing but the history of sport shows us the co-relationship between finance and success. Think Dublin/Man United Kildare/Leeds Donegal/Chelsea.

Flynn spent most of the last five years doing a college course. Like most intercounty teams, there's a lot of full time students in the squad and a good few teachers. These people tend to have the most spare time to devote to training, no matter what county you are in.

Before setting up his new consultancy firm, Bernard Brogan spent years working in an accountancy practice, while studying at night on his accountancy course while fitting in training with the Dubs (and even Plunketts occassionally!). Being a Dub intercounty star doesn't help one iota when it comes to sitting chartered accountancy exams.

My club stumps up 50% of the cash required for a full-time GPO like most clubs in Dublin. We've no all weather facilities and need more pitches for training, but the committee decided that funding the GPO is higher priority. The GPO spends most of him time going to the 3 or 4 primary schools in the area taking sessions with every class in each school. A big driver in this is the battle v soccer an rubgy.

Our GPO only trains one team at the club - a girl's team. He takes one or two sessions a year with most of the other teams in the club and will give the coaches a session once or twice a year. But the vast bulk of the work done in training the young lads and girls at the club is by Dads and Mums who take the teams.

And of course GPOs can be hit and miss. The previous GPO we had was good with lads between 15s to minors, but had absolutely no interest in young kids whatsover. The new lad is a bit better, but is perhaps a bit "old school" in terms of discipline, which some like and some don't.