Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

thewobbler

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 22, 2014, 12:31:09 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2014, 12:17:53 PM
They've won 2 All-Irelands in 3 years. In the past 20 years, Kerry won 4 in 6 years (with 2 final appearances in between), Tyrone won 3 in 6, Meath won 2 in 4, Galway won 2 in 4 with 1 appearance in between.

In 2009, everyone reckoned Kerry were on the cusp of greatness.
In 2010, the consensus was that Cork could dominate for years with burgeoning young talent coming into the best panel ever.
In 2012, it was clear to the entire world that nobody would ever break down Donegal's system.

All these big statements about Dublin dominance. Can't you at least wait until they've actually dominated the game for an extended period of time before making them?

Did any of those other counties have millions upon millions of euro available for underage structures and the preparation of senior teams? The situation is wrong whether Dubl$n win 10 All Irelands in a row or none. It's not just 2 All Irelands either, there's been a huge number of underage titles plus look what's happened with their hurling team. The Leinster football championship is dead and it's hard to see how any team can compete in the All Ireland series. With the sponsorship money Dubl$n have garnered through their increased success that was funded by all of us the whole thing is long out of control.

If the Leinster Championship is dead, then instead of blaming systems and searching for inequalities, the other 10 counties might want to look at how and what the likes of Mayo (130k population), Donegal (160k), Kerry (145k) and Monaghan (60k) will do in order to stay competitive when they meet Dublin.

By the way, Dublin have won 1 minor football AI in 30 years.  Those structures just keep producing the goods.

Out of control?

Franko

Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2014, 12:19:55 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2014, 12:07:02 PM
The issue of kit sponsorship money also has to be looked at.  Dublin's deal with AIG was something like £700k.  Comparison to Derry's 30k (which is the only one I know - and I'd imagine would be a good average figure) is ridiculous.  The GAA needs to look at centrally pooling this kit sposorship money and redistributing accordingly.

Sorry that's bullshit. I've no issue with Dublin getting the lowest grants from hq of any county .

But pooling of sponsorship is where I draw the line. That sponsorship covers the entire spectrum of Dublin teams and isn't ring fenced for the seniors.

We are entitled to get whatever our brand dictates. Donegal spent 1.5m to win the all Ireland in 2012. The idea that money is Dublin only is complete clap trap.

Donegal have had more training camps in fancy complexes then the Germans did in the WC. So they obviously have private investors that they don't tell anyone about.?

The bit in bold is irrelevant and for what it's worth, so does Derry's.

I'm not talking about all sponsorhip - just the kit.  Your 'brand' only attracts this money because it's part of the overall GAA setup.  Take away the other teams and you don't have a brand to sell.  The rest of the GAA creates the platform for Dublin to attract this sponsorship and the shop window from where to display it yet it's only Dublin which reaps any benefit.

Obviously Donegal managed to do this but it's unsustainable.

LeoMc

Jinxy

Get the Dubs out of Croke Park.
If that game was played in Navan we would have made bits of them.
Also, rotate them around the other provinces.
Let them play in Munster next year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2014, 12:50:22 PM
That's an interesting one!

In the talks of moving counties between provinces its generally been the weaker counties who are the ones talked about getting shoved around.

Having Dublin rotate between the Leinster - Munster - Connacht championships on a 3 year cycle would shake things up nicely!

rodney trotter

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 22, 2014, 11:42:27 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2014, 10:19:00 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2014, 09:53:20 AM
If I have only one hope for this GAA season, it's that either of the sparsely-populated, emigration-ravished land masses that are Donegal and Mayo, beat Dublin in Croke Park. I don't care how they do they do, just that they do so.

Maybe after that happens, all of the hype swillers on this thread and around Ireland, might take a step back and realise that pots of cash, extensive training regimes, professional coaches and backroom staff, development structures, soft jobs, and big game experience do not win All-Irelands. Players win All-Irelands. Dublin have a natural advantage there at present, but every player can and will have off days.

They do but they don't develop themselves
I know Indy, but other counties face problems that doesn't enter the picture where Dublin is concerned. Foremost amongst them is the issue of travel time and expenses.

The Leitrim championship panel used to train in Trim. (At least they did for a period during the mid-noughties.)
Around that time Dublin-based players of Mayo and Kerry trained in the Phoenix Park under the supervision of Mícheál O'Muircheartaigh. Dunno what other counties do but logistics are a problem for all counties who have players living and working a distance from their home patch.
Gilroy and maybe Gavin also could arrange early morning training sessions which just couldn't be done elsewhere.
I don't want to be bitten by a rabid Dub supported but I think the results of the study carried out during Peter Quinn's presidency should be looked at again.
One of the chief recommendations was that Dublin be divided in two and, predictably, that met with howls of protest fro the Molly Malones. The findings were promptly shelved which was really a pity as there were other issues investigated.
The falling away of  playing members as they got older was a countrywide worry and this was the main remit of the committee appointed. Dublin was found to have the biggest drop out rate of the lot. Dublin had the largest number of players. Cork had more clubs than any other county, Dublin included, but no one else had the superclubs  to be found in Dublin.
The committee reported that each of 5 named clubs fielded more underage players at weekends than any of five named counties. At this remove in time, I can't honsestly name all five ib eithe rcase but I know Cavan, Fermanagh and Leitrim were three of the counties and 'boden, Thomas Davis, Brigid's and Vincents were four of the five clubs in question.
So Dublin was the region with the fastest growing population numbers and at the same time, the highest drop out rate. No wonder GAA heads were worried.
One of the recommendations was that Dublin should be split in two but unfortunately none of the committee's findings   were implemented.
The imbalance is growing all the while.

What year was this ? If  they did a review on Cavan now it would hardly be like that

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on July 22, 2014, 12:58:47 PM

In the talks of moving counties between provinces its generally been the weaker counties who are the ones talked about getting shoved around.

Having Dublin rotate between the Leinster - Munster - Connacht championships on a 3 year cycle would shake things up nicely!

You'd never win a Connacht title. Nature itself would rise up against you.

Jinxy

I'd say the grass in the Hyde would be some length if the Dubs came to town.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2014, 01:25:21 PM

When was the last time Dublin played in Hyde Park?
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

The last time they cut the grass probably.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on July 22, 2014, 12:58:47 PM

Great idea if you want to put a county on a pedestal! You could imagine them looking to win the Grand slam of Provincial trophies! There would be some noses put out of joint if they did that in Ulster or Munster?

Dont Matter

Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2014, 12:45:40 PM
If the Leinster Championship is dead, then instead of blaming systems and searching for inequalities, the other 10 counties might want to look at how and what the likes of Mayo (130k population), Donegal (160k), Kerry (145k) and Monaghan (60k) will do in order to stay competitive when they meet Dublin.

By the way, Dublin have won 1 minor football AI in 30 years.  Those structures just keep producing the goods.

Out of control?

Systems and inequalities? Money Wobble, it's money. Why are you avoiding the topic?

They had only won 1 All Ireland u21 title EVER up until 2010. They've added 3 more since then. They won 4 Leinster minor football championships between 1990 and 2008, they've won 4 more since then. They won 1 senior football All Ireland between 1984 and 2010, they've won 2 more since then. That's without looking at the hurling side of things. I don't think you should have brought statistics into it.  ;D

When one county has unlimited resources to fund guaranteed success in both hurling and football, to pay for the services of a World champion boxer and an Olympic champion boxer, to buy their players cars, to have their meals cooked and prepared for the week for them, to get players time off work etc etc etc then yes it's out of control.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2014, 01:35:51 PM

Berno was on one of those sports quiz shows a couple years ago and thought Hyde Park was Cavan's home ground.

Rossfan

We bet them in the NFL ..... 2000? I think - Ros4life will no doubt have the answer for sure. :)
We bet them in Parnell Park in 2002(?).
We used to bate Kerry and Donegal too in them days.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2014, 02:34:53 PM

We bet them in the NFL ..... 2000? I think - Ros4life will no doubt have the answer for sure. :)
We bet them in Parnell Park in 2002(?).
We used to bate Kerry and Donegal too in them days.

Sure didn't we play them in the league in 2008 when Maughan had us in full meltdown mode?