Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Wildweasel74

Its a strange argument funding, i just go with the fact that Dublin got a bunch of good players that have came at the same time, but most of their rivals from yesterday are going through poor spells team wise.

Dublin on another day could have won 4 All-irelands between 92-95, they had alot of good players, but there was more competition as alot of county teamsat a high level, Donegal, Down and Derry were very strong, Meath still were handy and Cork in Munster. At present the level of alot of other teams is not up to Dublin, they havent the same quality of players. Mayo is the strongest of the rest, but need 2 forwards in the full forward line and a half forward if they are too turn over Dublin next year.

Dublin next year will be stronger again, and if they dont go partying for the yr would be big favourites to go back to back for the 1st time since the late 70`s

Dinny Breen

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2013, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 25, 2013, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 25, 2013, 04:06:04 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 03:45:33 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on September 25, 2013, 03:42:30 PM
Split Dublin.......Split Kilkenny.....Split Kerry......Split Michael Schumacher.....Ludicrous

http://imgur.com/gallery/3Nolu

You're a bit slow.
would you be happy if a South Dublin team was contesting an all ireland final with a Dublin North team?
Would you object to small counties amalgamating?
Do you know that kildare has roughly the same number of adult players as Dublin ?
What county are you from btw?

Is there a source out there for those figures just out of interest?

Kildare has 16 senior football clubs, 16 intermediate and 9 competing in the junior championship. 3 other junior clubs Ardclough, Athgarvan and Kildangan did not enter the championship this year.

That's a bizarre claim. Kildare has 90 teams playing league football across 7 divisions. Dublin has 192 teams playing across 12 Divisions.

Can we have some sources to back up your claim?

Kildare have 50 clubs Dinny. Dublin have about 85.

You're not seriously suggesting that Jim Gavin is recruiting players from the Junior E championship are you?

Did I say that?

JBG claims Kildare have the same number of adult players as Dublin, the facts dictate otherwise with less than 50% of Dublins figures. Also Dublin have 32 senior clubs Kildare has 16 which reinforces the point.

Dublin have many advantages over Kildare that still doesn't excuse our performances against them this year mind.
#newbridgeornowhere

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 25, 2013, 08:02:24 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2013, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 25, 2013, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 25, 2013, 04:06:04 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 03:45:33 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on September 25, 2013, 03:42:30 PM
Split Dublin.......Split Kilkenny.....Split Kerry......Split Michael Schumacher.....Ludicrous

http://imgur.com/gallery/3Nolu

You're a bit slow.
would you be happy if a South Dublin team was contesting an all ireland final with a Dublin North team?
Would you object to small counties amalgamating?
Do you know that kildare has roughly the same number of adult players as Dublin ?
What county are you from btw?

Is there a source out there for those figures just out of interest?

Kildare has 16 senior football clubs, 16 intermediate and 9 competing in the junior championship. 3 other junior clubs Ardclough, Athgarvan and Kildangan did not enter the championship this year.

That's a bizarre claim. Kildare has 90 teams playing league football across 7 divisions. Dublin has 192 teams playing across 12 Divisions.

Can we have some sources to back up your claim?

Kildare have 50 clubs Dinny. Dublin have about 85.

You're not seriously suggesting that Jim Gavin is recruiting players from the Junior E championship are you?

Did I say that?

JBG claims Kildare have the same number of adult players as Dublin, the facts dictate otherwise with less than 50% of Dublins figures. Also Dublin have 32 senior clubs Kildare has 16 which reinforces the point.

Dublin have many advantages over Kildare that still doesn't excuse our performances against them this year mind.
'll gladly hold my hand up and stand corrected, I read it in one of the papers recently but like I say I'm open to correction

Rodman

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2013, 05:51:38 PM
This is where it gets funny.

In football

Dublin have won 1 All-ireland Minor Title since 1984. In 2012 and contested only 2 other finals in that period. 2003 and 2011. Mayo for example since 1984 have been 7/8 all-ireland minor finals!!!

in hurling

Dublin haven't won a minor since 1965 and have contested only 3 finals since. 1983, 2011 and 2012.

So the facts don't stack up on your bizarre ramblings I'm afraid.

Throwing out census population claims when the entire area of Tallaght ( a larger population then Limerick) is serviced by 3 GAA clubs- none of them successful since the early 90's only adds to your meanderings.

People keep talking about "well if this part of Dublin played GAA". Face facts there are vast tracts of Dublin that will never play GAA. Ever.

In the 20 years prior to receiving the 7 million Dublin appeared in 5 underage All Irelands, hurling and football.
Since 2005 they've been in 8. You can see the real effects of the money shining through recently with 7 of those finals since 2010.

Ok, so Dublin get 7m in funding and your solution is to split the county.......and what then, give them 3.5m each? The money is still being spent in Dublin (if this money did exist). Did you ever think that maybe splitting the money evenly across all counties was a better solution.  Maybe it was a case that they got this funding to help promote the GAA is a part of the country where there was a danger of loosing hundreds of youngsters to rugby / soccer and other sports each year.  There is plenty of teams that have been allot more successful than Dublin that have allot less money. Your argument is nonsense.

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2013, 06:18:38 PM
7 million  ;D. This is quality entertainment.

In the mid 90's Dublin went up to Tyrone and went down to Kilkenny. They looked at their development teams and brought the concept to Dublin.

That's the root cause of our success recently. Nothing to do with 7m mythology

So they went to Tyrone and Kilkenny and copied what they do.  ;D That's why they've come from no where to All Ireland contenders in hurling, to win 2 All Irelands in 3 years in football and dominate underage football and hurling?
It sounds so easy, why hasn't anyone else thought of this? ;D All this time teams were going around with new training methods, doing heavier weights, training harder than ever and all they had to do was go to Tyrone and Kilkenny and just copy them.
What brilliance shown by the Dubs, they didn't even need the 7 million. Also Jim Gavin and his 50 person backroom team all worked for free.  ;D What a joke but you're right, it's quality entertainment.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 06:19:23 PM
no it's relevant to this thread. Answer the question !

Start a new thread on that.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: Rodman on September 25, 2013, 09:40:32 PM
Ok, so Dublin get 7m in funding and your solution is to split the county.......and what then, give them 3.5m each? The money is still being spent in Dublin (if this money did exist). Did you ever think that maybe splitting the money evenly across all counties was a better solution.  Maybe it was a case that they got this funding to help promote the GAA is a part of the country where there was a danger of loosing hundreds of youngsters to rugby / soccer and other sports each year.  There is plenty of teams that have been allot more successful than Dublin that have allot less money. Your argument is nonsense.

Read the thread like a good lad, if you have already then read it slowly this time.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Can somebody answer me a question? Why do people think it's ok for Dublin to receive 7 million to implement a plan to make them the 'greatest GAA county in Ireland'?
Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 10:08:12 PM
Can somebody answer me a question? Why do people think it's ok for Dublin to receive 7 million to implement a plan to make them the 'greatest GAA county in Ireland'?
what 7 million?
How much did Laois recieve for the redevelopment of OMoore Park?

Johnnybegood

It's a bullshit poll
It should read
Time to split Dublin  YES/NO
Do you really think we are stupid?

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 10:09:58 PM
what 7 million?
How much did Laois recieve for the redevelopment of OMoore Park?

€7m Dublin development plan launched

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern last night launched the Dublin County Board's strategic initiative at Croke Park. Costing more than €7 million over three years it is the most ambitious development plan ever devised for the county, reports Seán Moran, GAA Correspondent

The product of two years' negotiation between Dublin, the Leinster Council and the GAA, the initiative aims to divide the county into regions, loosely based on existing local authority areas, and focus its efforts on raising the profile of Gaelic games in schools, improving recruitment for clubs and establishing a structure for developing elite talent.

'Today is about establishing the foundations for the future,' said an Taoiseach. 'It is about securing the foothold of Gaelic games in this city and county.

'It is about providing our young people with every opportunity to master and participate in games that are integral to our identity as a people.

'Dublin is now home to one quarter of our country's population. Young people under the age of 18 make up almost 300,000. Such a population has naturally put an added premium on land and facilities across the county.

'I am particularly heartened to see the focus on disadvantaged areas.' He also paid tribute to the county board, the Leinster Council and Croke Park for their support of the initiative.

He was responding to the presentation by Dublin Chief Executive John Costello, in the course of which the problems facing Dublin were set out.

The decline in volunteerism, increased competition from other sports and the price of land had all presented obstacles.

As a result, the GAA was not getting into primary schools at anything like an ideal rate. He showed statistics of nine to 16 year-olds in the county, which indicated 16.63 per cent of boys and 5.32 per cent of girls were playing football while 10.84 per cent of boys and 4.06 per cent of girls played hurling or camogie.

The strategy for dealing with the challenge will be based on devolving work to regional areas, where the focus will be sharper on servicing the schools in those regions and identifying the elite talent. Regions have yet to be finalised, but will largely correspond to local authority areas.

Kevin O'Shaughnessy has been appointed Strategic Programme Manager and he heads the initiative. Reporting to him - in hierarchical order - will be the regional development officers, the hurling development officer and the games promotion officers.

GAA president Seán Kelly, who chaired the joint-committee that agreed these initiatives, said that the plans would 'make Dublin what it should be - the greatest GAA county in Ireland'.

He praised the Leinster Council for their generosity in backing the initiative, as they also had to take into account 11 other counties in the province.

'It was well put by my predecessor Peter Quinn,' he said, 'when addressing the SRC (Strategic Review Committee) congress. 'Dublin is not a national problem,' he declared, 'it's a national opportunity'.'

Addressing the question of breaking Dublin into two counties - the controversial proposal advanced by the SRC nearly three years ago - Kelly dismissed it, but in ambiguous fashion.

'No one's suggesting that Dublin should be divided in two. That's hogwash. No one's saying that for the moment.'
Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

I read nothing in that about taxpayers money!
Also I read this-
He praised the Leinster Council for their generosity in backing the initiative, as they also had to take into account 11 other counties in the province.
How much money did Laois recieve for the redevelopment of OMoore Park?

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 10:20:17 PM
Also I read this-

The money came from Government, GAA and Leinster council.
Peter Quinn

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 10:26:38 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 10:20:17 PM
Also I read this-

The money came from Government, GAA and Leinster council.

No it didn't I'm afraid. The DCB committed 2.5m to 3m of its own resources to the project. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. We're allowed invest our own monies I take it. Do we have to run that past you as well?