Sweetnam signs for Munster

Started by Asal Mor, October 03, 2012, 11:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I see Darren Sweetnam has signed a 3-year deal with Munster. You can't blame the lad but it's a huge blow for Cork. He looked a brilliant prospect and his pace would have been a serious weapon for them.

seafoid

Not ideal for Cork, in fairness. I can't see that happening in Kilkenny...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Declan

Well isn't young Walsh on Leinster's radar as well?

seafoid

Quote from: Declan on October 03, 2012, 01:01:49 PM
Well isn't young Walsh on Leinster's radar as well?
Yeah but I think the cats would have more pulling power.
This is going to be an issue for the GAA from now on. Rugby is super organised in terms of sourcing
players and the best sportspeople are potentially attractive to all sports.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

Walsh doesn't strike me as a guy who'd cut it athletically in rugby at the top - level. He's big but not huge(by rugby standards) , he can run but he's not fast. He's the makings of a great full-forward but I don't see him playing for Leinster. I could see Sweetnam with his blinding pace as part of the Munster backline alright.

gallsman

Huge blow for Cork alright, particularly given how promising all their younger players looked this year.

joe bloggs

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 03, 2012, 01:53:17 PM
Walsh doesn't strike me as a guy who'd cut it athletically in rugby at the top - level. He's big but not huge(by rugby standards) , he can run but he's not fast. He's the makings of a great full-forward but I don't see him playing for Leinster. I could see Sweetnam with his blinding pace as part of the Munster backline alright.

Your right there about Walsh from what I have seen of him so far. Could be the new Christy Heffernan

Premier Emperor

Still can't believe Walsh got MOTM for the All Ireland final.

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on October 08, 2012, 03:53:16 PM
Still can't believe Walsh got MOTM for the All Ireland final.

90% of the time a scoring forward will get the award, a defender would need to be turning back the tide to get a look in.

Premier Emperor

It's easy tap over a few late scores against a beaten docket.

AZOffaly

He was the single biggest difference though, between the first day and the replay. 1-3 from play is part of it, but the absolute havoc he caused in a very comfortable Galway full back line was just as important.

I think Murphy had two great finals, and he'd have been in with a shout. Also, I thought Brian Hogan was great, but in terms of influencing the course of the game, and being a huge factor in the win, I think Walsh was a decent shout.

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on October 09, 2012, 09:44:22 AM
It's easy tap over a few late scores against a beaten docket.

I'm not in disagreement with you, on the contrary.

mouview

Quote from: joe bloggs on October 03, 2012, 05:39:49 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 03, 2012, 01:53:17 PM

Your right there about Walsh from what I have seen of him so far. Could be the new Christy Heffernan

Could be the new Taggy Fogarty; plays well enough to get on the team, doesn't play well enough to stay on it. Time will tell...

Premier Emperor

There was the same hype when Aisake Ó hAilpín appeared on the scene.