Manager's Salaries

Started by trailer, December 08, 2023, 10:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 08, 2023, 02:04:07 PMYea I don't see the big issue to be honest. Seems like a classic case of Irish begrudgement. More power to anything who spends their life in management and gets paid for it when they make it to the top.
If its easy money, away yous go and get your CV built up. Can start with a youth team in your local club and work your way up from there.

I doubt many have a problem with it but how are they get it bags of cash or are they paying tax on it the same as the rest of us do on our earnings?

imtommygunn

If it's reported surely it's taxed?

GoldCoastRossie

Well expenses are usually tax free but I wonder do managers report the free sponsored cars etc and other benefit in kind they get which may be taxable.

Also surely central council and the DG have the right to investigate county finances etc It would be a brave delegate to a county board seeking a breakdown to the costs.

Anecdote I heard before was one county manager is a quantity surveyor and managed to get a contract with the county board for QS services on a redevelopment project which surprisingly wasn't renewed a few weeks after he was let go. Whilst he paid contracts tax he also managed a much more inflated fee to take account of the tax issue and got his regular expenses too.   

Itchy

Quote from: thebar on December 08, 2023, 01:03:59 PMThis is thread has struck accord - why has this been let slide? The payment of management teams be in county or club teams? Yet the boy on the field and in the gutters this time of year are lucky to get a pair of togs and socks? It is an amateur sport yet the chosen few make a nice wee earner out of the amateur association? What gives? 

What gives is that players want a totally professional set up and to do that takes serious amount of hours outside of training time. So you would have to be getting paid for it to do it to the level professionals do. The real question is are these lads paying tax and declaring their earnings. I seriously doubt it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on December 08, 2023, 02:37:44 PM
Quote from: thebar on December 08, 2023, 01:03:59 PMThis is thread has struck accord - why has this been let slide? The payment of management teams be in county or club teams? Yet the boy on the field and in the gutters this time of year are lucky to get a pair of togs and socks? It is an amateur sport yet the chosen few make a nice wee earner out of the amateur association? What gives? 

What gives is that players want a totally professional set up and to do that takes serious amount of hours outside of training time. So you would have to be getting paid for it to do it to the level professionals do. The real question is are these lads paying tax and declaring their earnings. I seriously doubt it

Are you more worried that they aren't paying taxes or the tax breaks the big companies get in Ireland? Both I'd say.

I would say that they would have to pay tax as there are gurnny cnuts out there that would tout on them lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Travel expenses from home to place of work are usually not tax-free.

Revenue aren't ones to be messing with, if they catch up with. A motor mechanic from Monaghan topped the tax defaulters list this month. Tax due €712,000, he was charged €446,000 interest and €705,000 penalties.
So income over the period of years might have been €1.4m, and overall tax bill on that income of over €1.8m

trailer

Quote from: intheknowhow on December 08, 2023, 12:20:01 PM
Quote from: trailer on December 08, 2023, 10:54:06 AMSurprised this hasn't been raised. Maybe I missed it on another thread apologies if I have. I see Colm Parkinson tweeting or x'ing about the cost of Colm O'Rouke at Meath and then Mickey Harte at Louth. Neither county appeared to make any attempt to hide what managers are getting paid.

Harte and team almost €140k
O'Rouke and team just over €76k

Years ago they said of under the table payments that they couldn't even find the table. Well looks like they have found it now.

The volunteer and community ethos well out the window. Would Louth not have benefitted more from investing that €140k into youth football? Instead Harte is away up the road in smoke with it.

You expect it for free?

You expect the players to do it for free?

RedHand88

Mad how people actually think tax isn't being paid on income that has been declared on a company's annual accounts.

trailer

We're not far away from paying players. Even at the minute some get cushy jobs. This is the thin edge of the wedge. And Harte is at the forefront.

Why would a player bust his balls for nothing when the manager isn't willing to?

Sportacus

Quote from: trailer on December 08, 2023, 03:12:25 PMWe're not far away from paying players. Even at the minute some get cushy jobs. This is the thin edge of the wedge. And Harte is at the forefront.

Why would a player bust his balls for nothing when the manager isn't willing to?

Correct, thin end of the wedge, and it will be the ruination of the association.  Not begrudging anyone being successful and making money in life, but for me the GAA is throwing it all away by allowing its amateur status to be eroded from within.  Ironically it's too amateur to deal with it.

Cavan19

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 08, 2023, 03:04:57 PMMad how people actually think tax isn't being paid on income that has been declared on a company's annual accounts.

Are they registered companies though?

imtommygunn

Quote from: trailer on December 08, 2023, 03:12:25 PMWe're not far away from paying players. Even at the minute some get cushy jobs. This is the thin edge of the wedge. And Harte is at the forefront.

There you go again about Harte. Hundreds of boys at it but pick one of them.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 08, 2023, 07:07:55 PM

There you go again about Harte. Hundreds of boys at it but pick one of them.

Antrim hurlers paid more, footballers was similar to Harte. Mind you there could be more off the books
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Maybe if the fans stopped going to the games that would drop the payments?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 08, 2023, 07:27:45 PMMaybe if the fans stopped going to the games that would drop the payments?

You would be lucky if more than 500 people would go to an Antrim football league game and the management ticket was over £100k for the year
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come