Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Let's all stop paying for anything.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2017, 04:27:50 PM
Sort of what I was getting at. I paid my water charges and my LPT. I wondered what was the difference between these two. But what's the difference between them and USC or PAYE?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 15, 2017, 04:24:35 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 04:21:04 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 15, 2017, 04:17:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 04:13:11 PM
Enjoy your refunds lads, any of ye that were stupid enough to pay. There's no need to thank the thousands of us that stood up for what is right, just get up off your arses the next time yourselves.
I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if this has been brought up before, but would you suggest a similar protest against the LPT?

Even more so. At least if you're forced to pay for water you (usually) get the actual water. You get nothing for the LPT.
Well at least you're consistent. Why do you think the left wing groups didn't raise this issue as they did the water? Could it be because many of their voters aren't home owners and so don't get hit with the tax?

I'm not sure. That's quite possible but they did kick up quite a stink. They didn't get much traction though. It was easier to boycott the water charges as it wasn't a tax and they weren't able to steal it out of your wages. However I do think annoyance at the LPT contributed greatly to the water charges protests. A tax too far. Plus the total mess they made of IW, some of the cronies appointed to IW, their refusal to block privatisation of IW.......it was a perfect storm. The left wing parties at the forefront of this unfortunately hadn't the vision to see what was happening before their eyes or if they did, they hadn't the ability or inclination to harness it. Do they really want power to implement what they talk about - I think deep down lots of them don't - which is unfortunate especially for those within those movements who really want to and would be able to make a difference.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2017, 04:27:50 PM

2 plus 2 does not equal 5,673,889.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 04:36:12 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 15, 2017, 04:24:35 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 04:21:04 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 15, 2017, 04:17:37 PM
Enjoy your refunds lads, any of ye that were stupid enough to pay. There's no need to thank the thousands of us that stood up for what is right, just get up off your arses the next time yourselves.
I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if this has been brought up before, but would you suggest a similar protest against the LPT?

Even more so. At least if you're forced to pay for water you (usually) get the actual water. You get nothing for the LPT.
Well at least you're consistent. Why do you think the left wing groups didn't raise this issue as they did the water? Could it be because many of their voters aren't home owners and so don't get hit with the tax?

I'm not sure. That's quite possible but they did kick up quite a stink. They didn't get much traction though. It was easier to boycott the water charges as it wasn't a tax and they weren't able to steal it out of your wages. However I do think annoyance at the LPT contributed greatly to the water charges protests. A tax too far. Plus the total mess they made of IW, some of the cronies appointed to IW, their refusal to block privatisation of IW.......it was a perfect storm. The left wing parties at the forefront of this unfortunately hadn't the vision to see what was happening before their eyes or if they did, they hadn't the ability or inclination to harness it. Do they really want power to implement what they talk about - I think deep down lots of them don't - which is unfortunate especially for those within those movements who really want to and would be able to make a difference.
Good post. I agree about them not wanting power. Some of them of a very narrow political focus and, although they have an important role to play in opposition, they're not ready for government.

Luckily for me I'm loaded and I paid the lot.

Rossfan

Can you imagine Coppinger or Daly if they had nothing to moan about?
They'd disintegrate  ;D They're only happy when they have their many faces on.
Meanwhile hardly a peep out of them about homelessness and the housing crisis.
Much too busy pushing abortion related issues.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2017, 05:11:14 PM

That's simply not true but it's not the first time you've jumped to the wrong conclusion based on the (I'd guess, limited) evidence you have. And your own bias.

gallsman

I presume you'll voluntarily be sending your grant money back Seanie?

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 05:17:31 PM

That's simply not true but it's not the first time you've jumped to the wrong conclusion based on the (I'd guess, limited) evidence you have. And your own bias.
I haven't seen protests and marches being organised by the loony left or the Eirigi rent a mob etc..

macdanger2

You're some arsehole  ;D

You'd prefer not to pay and instead just pump raw sewerage out into the sea

Avondhu star

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 05:17:31 PM

And limited intelligence
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Rossfan

Some irony that Avondhu talking about limited intelligence ;D

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on November 15, 2017, 05:49:15 PM

I am not sure what you're on about. I didn't get any grant. I never opened any of the letter from IW.

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 15, 2017, 06:19:28 PM

You're some arsehole  ;D

You'd prefer not to pay and instead just pump raw sewerage out into the sea

You're abusive post doesn't deserve a reply but I'll indulge you.

What you've said there is called a false equivalence. A bit like Rossfan - using a fact and jumping to a completely irrational, unrelated and false conclusion. Like, say, that Mayo won't win Sam until those two ould lads left from their last win pass away. Pure bullshit. No one advocated pumping raw sewage into the sea at any stage. You made that up.

For the record - I pay my all my taxes including Motor Tax which is the funding vehicle set up to fund water services in this country since the 1997 FA. There is more than enough money collected in taxation under its various guises to ensure all facets of water services are catered for. The mismanagement, lack of planning and waste of money is not a reason to add another charge on people for what they're already paying for. You're obviously under some illusion that IW was going to make everything better - clearly that won't happen and couldn't happen as it's full of the same people who managed water services for the local authorities. Mr Kearns who was the county manager who left Sligo county council over €10M in debt being a prime example.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 16, 2017, 02:54:34 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 15, 2017, 05:49:15 PM

I am not sure what you're on about. I didn't get any grant. I never opened any of the letter from IW.

So you never registered for the water grant? How many do you think of your fellow non-payers registered for it, knowing it was universally paid even to those not paying charges? A majority?