Water Charges. How much?

Started by Denn Forever, May 14, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Mike

The work the 3 you mentioned is all fine and even dandy and I notice the boogeyman  Fat cats are identified but the bottom line is there is a massive amount of work to be done on infrastructure and not forgetting day to day delivery of services.

These issues have to addressed. The abolition of water charges will prove a very hollow "victory".

mikehunt

Quote from: ashman on May 03, 2016, 06:57:39 PM
Mike

The work the 3 you mentioned is all fine and even dandy and I notice the boogeyman  Fat cats are identified but the bottom line is there is a massive amount of work to be done on infrastructure and not forgetting day to day delivery of services.

These issues have to addressed. The abolition of water charges will prove a very hollow "victory".
This is where we disagree. I think it was a great victory for the people.  The Water Tax was the final straw for people. Politicians have rode this country for years. They now know there's only so much austerity people are willing take. There are plenty of areas they could get the resources required.  They tried the easy option once too often.

mikehunt

Quote from: armaghniac on May 03, 2016, 05:56:03 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on May 03, 2016, 05:52:36 PM
Let's see Dinny start up Irish Air and the likes of Ross and Hound will demand everyone will pay for it.

Are there any examples of places that charge for air, or are you just talking bollix?

You going to accept the refund if it comes Armaghniac?

armaghniac

Quote from: mikehunt on May 03, 2016, 08:31:05 PM
Let's see Dinny start up Irish Air and the likes of Ross and Hound will demand everyone will pay for it.

Are there any examples of places that charge for air, or are you just talking bollix?

You going to accept the refund if it comes Armaghniac?

Yes, if they are not going to pursue the spongers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

foxcommander

Awww poor Dinny isn't happy about suspension of water charges - I wonder why he's so concerned?

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0503/785793-denis-obriens-digicel/
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

magpie seanie

Quote from: foxcommander on May 03, 2016, 09:11:24 PM
Awww poor Dinny isn't happy about suspension of water charges - I wonder why he's so concerned?

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0503/785793-denis-obriens-digicel/

If there was ever any doubt then this outburst confirms why IW and the whole model set up by FG/Lab needs to be smashed.

And another thing - how dare this Maltese citizen talk about our country. Nothing to do with him.

Also cannot understand how any media outlet would interview or even quote him given the proven facts against him in the past.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: mikehunt on May 03, 2016, 07:53:12 PM
The Water Tax was the final straw for people. Politicians have rode this country for years. They now know there's only so much austerity people are willing take.
Not fully true. Charges like property tax and USC affect workers more than other citizens and are somewhat progressive in their application.
Water charges on the other hand are the charges much more likely to affect the folks who keep their hands stuffed down the front of their tracksuits.

foxcommander

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 03, 2016, 10:56:20 PM
The Water Tax was the final straw for people. Politicians have rode this country for years. They now know there's only so much austerity people are willing take.
Not fully true. Charges like property tax and USC affect workers more than other citizens and are somewhat progressive in their application.
Water charges on the other hand are the charges much more likely to affect the folks who keep their hands stuffed down the front of their tracksuits.

Hate to bang on about it but who's going to stop the price of water going through the roof once the system of charging gets implemented and accepted by the people.

Has there been a revision of the nice or lisbon treaty and a revote after the government got the mandate they wanted? I don't think so...

Theres no turning back once the charges go in, even if it was for 1 euro a month. That's the biggest issue imo.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: foxcommander on May 03, 2016, 11:00:58 PM

Hate to bang on about it but who's going to stop the price of water going through the roof once the system of charging gets implemented and accepted by the people.

Has there been a revision of the nice or lisbon treaty and a revote after the government got the mandate they wanted? I don't think so...

Theres no turning back once the charges go in, even if it was for 1 euro a month. That's the biggest issue imo.
Proper legislation should be brought in allowing a reasonable threshold of free water for every citizen and then a modest charge once
they start to overuse it. Any price changes can only be in line with CPI rises.

At the moment I can turn on every tap in my house, leave them run for a week, but it's fine because apparently I paid for it through general taxation.  ;D

Rossfan

Micky Martin tonight says ye should all pay ye're public water bills even though his Party  have in effect put an end to them and were the party that agreed with the Troika to bring in public water charges inthe first place.
You couldn't make it up....... And 24% of voters voted for them.

I really do wish Mr Chopra would come back and take charge from the fcukn muppetry that we elect. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mikehunt

In general would these people not be hygienically challenged so they'd hardly be running multiple baths or washing their hands OCD style?

Your point about being allowed to run your tap 24/7 is valid though. I have been to many houses over the years and every single one had all their taps running all the time. I asked why they do this, they all replied "because it's free thanks to the Water Fairy and it's great craic".

foxcommander

I hope you're not that thick. Very worrying if so.

I'm suggesting some would pay any tax they are told to by the government without question, no matter how ridiculous it is.

Mayoffs

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 03, 2016, 11:08:52 PM

Proper legislation should be brought in allowing a reasonable threshold of free water for every citizen and then a modest charge once

At the moment I can turn on every tap in my house, leave them run for a week, but it's fine because apparently I paid for it through general taxation.  ;D
....... and that's the problem. In our area we are in a newly developed private scheme that was part funded by the members and have been metered now for the past 6 years. It all works fairly; each household gets a free allocation with charges kicking in if you use extra. I invested in a rain water harvester which means I only pay the standing charge of €30 p.a. I think this system of payment should be rolled out as soon as possible because it promotes conservation and ensures that the utility is funded in a fair manner.
Problem now of course is that the majority of the public see charging for water as a tax thanks to government ineptitude and the scandalous way Phil Hogan was allowed to bulldoze Irish Water into place. The reality is that unless we fund a utility properly and fairly through metering, production of a quality public water supply and waste treatment  nationally will end up costing everyone of us a lot more. A good drought would focus people's mind's here.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

ashman

Quote from: Mayoffs on May 05, 2016, 11:06:21 PM

....... and that's the problem. In our area we are in a newly developed private scheme that was part funded by the members and have been metered now for the past 6 years. It all works fairly; each household gets a free allocation with charges kicking in if you use extra. I invested in a rain water harvester which means I only pay the standing charge of €30 p.a. I think this system of payment should be rolled out as soon as possible because it promotes conservation and ensures that the utility is funded in a fair manner.
Problem now of course is that the majority of the public see charging for water as a tax thanks to government ineptitude and the scandalous way Phil Hogan was allowed to bulldoze Irish Water into place. The reality is that unless we fund a utility properly and fairly through metering, production of a quality public water supply and waste treatment  nationally will end up costing everyone of us a lot more. A good drought would focus people's mind's here.

Excellent post.

muppet

Quote from: ashman on May 06, 2016, 12:18:40 AM
Quote from: Mayoffs on May 05, 2016, 11:06:21 PM

Excellent post.

Very good post. Except the bit about seeing water as a tax. Water charges (i.e. a tax) were agreed with the Troika as part of the bailout. Despite the ineptitude, and I agree they were inept, it was always going to be seen as a tax. I just wish they had shown some backbone and stuck with the metering idea.
MWWSI 2017